• Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2016
    Jasper County
    UPDATE: Steelworker dies at Gary Works | Steel | nwitimes.com

Yup. You beat me to it.
    I'm glad the paper reported about the McKenzie group, and safety concerns.
    But sad it's necessary.
    It's only been 2 or 3 months since the last death.
    I really need to get my next five years in and get out.
    Accidents are skyrocketing.
    :(

Accidents are up. In my department alone we were over the LTI rate of past years in July. I think it's a combination of new and young employees and poor management. It's sad to hear this young guy was an electrician like me. Puts things into real perspective. To all my other heavy industry brothers, please be safe for yourself and your family. Companies don't care about you, just their costs.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;DTVOK2yvbBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTVOK2yvbBM[/video]

I want one of these with a racoon mount to buzz Jedi's house.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Accidents are up. In my department alone we were over the LTI rate of past years in July. I think it's a combination of new and young employees and poor management. It's sad to hear this young guy was an electrician like me. Puts things into real perspective. To all my other heavy industry brothers, please be safe for yourself and your family. Companies don't care about you, just their costs.

I think the guy was a welder.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Gotta say I'm bummed out at this news. I'm a very satisfied Cabela's customer and their Hammond location is a lot closer for me that the Bass Pro in Portage. I often buy from Cabela's online as I get email alerts for sales and special deals (for Club members) and have the stuff shipped for free to Hammond for pickup. Recently I got two knives of retail value $160 for $25 and two scopes retailing for about $250 for $100 (after discounts and $30 Bushnell rebate). When in the Hammond store I always hit the Bargain Den; I've found some really great deals in there. Like the time I bought two Pietta BP revolvers, an engraved nickel 1851 Navy 44 Sheriff and an 1858 Remington 44 Sheriff for less than half their retail value.

Not much to do but hope Bass Pro doesn't screw it up.

I agree with you on this. I love going to Cabelas, firearms are pretty nice there, although I hit up Blythes more, I do enjoy their fudge and some of the interesting flavors they come up with. Also, nice that they sell the pound bags of beef jerky. Bass pro, been a few times, rarely though, cause like Gander Mountain, they are way too expensive. Guess we'll see how this turns out, but I'm rooting for Cabelas.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    More on the steelworker.

https://clips.abcotvs.com/wls/channel/news/offset/0/video/221843

The most dangerous time for an employee is the first couple days in a new shop.
    With Resource Sharing, everyday becomes the most dangerous, because everyday you're in a new shop.
    Then, in case that's not enough, let's work him 70 to 90 hour weeks.

He's a welder, electrocuted. We just had a motor inspector electrocuted in June.

Electrocutions from a welder, while possible, are not all that common. I wonder if he didn't get hung up on the rails or something up on the crane, assuming they are referring to an overhead crane.

Either way, it shouldn't have happened. 70 - 90 hours a week? Who would ever think that's a hazard?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FOR JEDI, regarding the VP Debate tonight.

Well I'll admit to catching only about 40 minutes of tonight's debate but in that time I observed the following:
    • Kaine's eyebrows creeped me out more than the clown in Steven King's IT movie
    • Pence talked about what he was for in a positive way
    • Kaine talked more about what he was against
    • Kaine claimed to be a faithful Catholic and then defended partial birth abortions. WTF!?!
    • Kaine interrupted Pence at least 2x every time Pence opened his mouth
    • Pence seemed optimistic
    • Kaine outright lied about the Clinton Foundation and about the Red Cross
    • Pence seemed calm, reasonable and unrattled despite the constant interruptions
    • The moderator clearly favored Kaine, even agreed with him on some points

I missed much of the beginning, most of the middle, caught all of the end. So clearly I can only speak to the parts that I was witness to, but what I saw had me believing Pence should be at the top of the GOP ticket and Kaine should be an also ran for night manager at the local super market. Oh, and maybe Kaine should also be excommunicated from the Church to which he professed his faith for his defense of abortion, which is considered a non-negotiable issue by that same faith.

-----------------------------------------​

On the same topic, but from a different perspective, only minutes after the end of the debate the Frank Luntz Focus Group, working for CBS News, called the winner.

Gov. Mike Pence won by a landslide.

Of the 26 people in the focus group 21 thought Pence was the winner, only 4 voted for Kaine as the winner.

Link to story => Frank Luntz Focus Group: ?Kaine Is Interrupting Too Much? « CBS New York

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    FOR JEDI, regarding the VP Debate tonight.

Well I'll admit to catching only about 40 minutes of tonight's debate but in that time I observed the following:
    • Kaine's eyebrows creeped me out more than the clown in Steven King's IT movie
    • Pence talked about what he was for in a positive way
    • Kaine talked more about what he was against
    • Kaine claimed to be a faithful Catholic and then defended partial birth abortions. WTF!?!
    • Kaine interrupted Pence at least 2x every time Pence opened his mouth
    • Pence seemed optimistic
    • Kaine outright lied about the Clinton Foundation and about the Red Cross
    • Pence seemed calm, reasonable and unrattled despite the constant interruptions
    • The moderator clearly favored Kaine, even agreed with him on some points

I missed much of the beginning, most of the middle, caught all of the end. So clearly I can only speak to the parts that I was witness to, but what I saw had me believing Pence should be at the top of the GOP ticket and Kaine should be an also ran for night manager at the local super market. Oh, and maybe Kaine should also be excommunicated from the Church to which he professed his faith for his defense of abortion, which is considered a non-negotiable issue by that same faith.

-----------------------------------------​

On the same topic, but from a different perspective, only minutes after the end of the debate the Frank Luntz Focus Group, working for CBS News, called the winner.

Gov. Mike Pence won by a landslide.

Of the 26 people in the focus group 21 thought Pence was the winner, only 4 voted for Kaine as the winner.

Link to story => Frank Luntz Focus Group: ?Kaine Is Interrupting Too Much? « CBS New York

I'm not sure you missed a thing actually. You pretty much summed it up as I saw it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I'm proud to say I didn't watch the debate. I watched "I, Frankenstein" and talked to a friend on the phone.
    I also canceled the interview in Cleveland. We would have been miserable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Electrocutions from a welder, while possible, are not all that common. I wonder if he didn't get hung up on the rails or something up on the crane, assuming they are referring to an overhead crane.

Either way, it shouldn't have happened. 70 - 90 hours a week? Who would ever think that's a hazard?

I haven't been to that part of the mill. But from what I've heard, is that when the crane is locked out, the rails are still hot. I'm assuming they mean the trolley rails.
    On our EOT cranes, locking the crane out takes everything down that's on the crane.
    As for the hours, I've seen them work guys in their 60s, 5 double shifts in a row.
    I probably average 50 to 60 hours. Sometimes up to 80.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I forgot what issue they were w talking about, but Pence burned Kaine pretty good when he said that they could discuss the issue further when Kaine is back in his Senate Seat.... Lmao. Pence look good last night and represented the Hoosier State well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    gotcha. They've been telling us electrician but I'm at mittal so I don't know. Welder or electrician it's still tradgic. We've had a couple safety briefings already about it because my crew works around and on collector rails every day.

I also think one of the ideas the union is running with this and pressing so hard in the news, is the "resource sharing".
    They take a "bull gang" and move them to different areas every day.
    The most dangerous time for an employee is his first couple years in a new shop.
    Now they take that most dangerous time, and make that EVERY day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom