• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Drove through Elizabethtown KY went to academy sports and rural king in between those two stores ten minute drive at most I swear I counted 4 OTHER gun stores we got some catching up to do. Unless you’re in valpo that is gun store Mecca

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Wife and I are trying out The Bait Shop outside Valpo on Calumet. I was recommended this place. Bet ive passed it over 100 times. Over 21. Menu changes weekly. Local, fresh, made to order ingredients. I'm having the mussels. She's having the steak. I'll let you know. (Reservations, it's small).

Screenshot_20230512-174634_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230512-172904_Facebook.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    soooo how much was the steak, and was it worth it?
    I will say, my Manhattan got me a touch warm. I'm not a light weight if that tells you anything.

Portion sizes are generous. Mussels were good. Sauce was a little heavy, but that's my only knock. Glad I didn't also get the salad. I'd be busting.

Dry aged steak was better than quite a few places I've been to downtown Chicago. Wife couldn't eat it all. Smashed potatoes were also very good.

I went in figuring $100+/- a couple.

20230512_182600.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Wife and I are trying out The Bait Shop outside Valpo on Calumet. I was recommended this place. Bet ive passed it over 100 times. Over 21. Menu changes weekly. Local, fresh, made to order ingredients. I'm having the mussels. She's having the steak. I'll let you know. (Reservations, it's small).

View attachment 275633View attachment 275634
    Took wife (for mother's day) and youngest (accepted into junior honor society) to Grangers by the clock tower for dinner tonight. As always food was excellent.

Wife had steak salad, kid had filet medallions, and I had the prime rib sandwich. Was able to escape for $100 bill. Longer than usual wait tonight but I haven't seen them that busy any other time we've been there, but food was excellent again and cooked as ordered

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I will say, my Manhattan got me a touch warm. I'm not a light weight if that tells you anything.

Portion sizes are generous. Mussels were good. Sauce was a little heavy, but that's my only knock. Glad I didn't also get the salad. I'd be busting.

Dry aged steak was better than quite a few places I've been to downtown Chicago. Wife couldn't eat it all. Smashed potatoes were also very good.

View attachment 275637
    Now, this being said (and wife's birthday), I'd take my $1.25lb Angus in the freezer on the grill. But, I went for seafood because that is supposed to be their thing.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012

View attachment 275637
    I’ve wanted to go there for a long time have heard nothing but good things

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I’ve wanted to go there for a long time have heard nothing but good things
    We'll go again. We both like it. I like how the menu changes to keep the chef sharp. It kinda reminded me of Bartlett's. That was our go to local. So sad they closed.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

View attachment 275637
    Probably just me but I don't think there is anything you can do to a strip steak to make it worth $50 to me.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Probably just me but I don't think there is anything you can do to a strip steak to make it worth $50 to me.
    I will say they do occasionally list a Filet Mignot. That will probably be the test. Mom is a connoisseur. Fun fact: Shockingly, the best Filet Mignot in IN is at the Muncie Airport restaurant. I used to work at the Sherman House waaaaaaay back in the day where theirs was cooked for 3 to 4 days and it doesn't even compare.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    If you want to feel good about your situation, there are folks at the 49er waiting to watch the Drive in movie in the beating rain.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Porterhouse FTW!
    I'll take the filet side. More NY Strip than filet. Don't get me wrong I will buy and make porterhouse but that's third on the list.

We usually do filet here. Meijer in Portage has great filet.

I rarely get steak at a restaurant as I can make better every time at home. No one else is a Prime rib fan here, so I rarely make it at home. Usually my go to if going to a fancier restaurant

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'll take the filet side. More NY Strip than filet. Don't get me wrong I will buy and make porterhouse but that's third on the list.

I rarely get steak at a restaurant as I can make better every time at home. No one else is a Prime rib fan here, so I rarely make it at home. Usually my go to if going to a fancier restaurant
    Same. If I can make it at home, I don't order it. I don't make a brisket, so that trips my trigger. So does seafood. About the only thing I can make at home that trumps my skills is ribs. Someone out there spends their life making sure I'm not good enough.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Took wife (for mother's day) and youngest (accepted into junior honor society) to Grangers by the clock tower for dinner tonight. As always food was excellent.

Wife had steak salad, kid had filet medallions, and I had the prime rib sandwich. Was able to escape for $100 bill. Longer than usual wait tonight but I haven't seen them that busy any other time we've been there, but food was excellent again and cooked as ordered
    My grandson used to cook there. He will be cooking for them at the Thursday thing at Festival Park.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

Filet, porterhouse, ribeye, t-bone , that being said, some cuts are on some cuts and fat is flavor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom