Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My tenderloin is in the oven as we speak. ETA about 5:10.
    Recipe said interior temp must be at least 140. It's 165-170 and there's still blood coming out where I poked the thermometer. Back in the oven.... I usually bake it at 425, but this time I reduced it to 400 so it would not cook as fast. It sure worked.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Recipe said interior temp must be at least 140. It's 165-170 and there's still blood coming out where I poked the thermometer. Back in the oven.... I usually bake it at 425, but this time I reduced it to 400 so it would not cook as fast. It sure worked.
    Sometimes I wonder where the thermometer is actually measuring the temperature. Is it right at the tip? or a 1/4 of an inch up from the tip? or 1/2 inch up? or 1 inch up? more?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I usually go to 145° and then let rest for 15 minutes. Smoking at 225° usually takes around 1.5 hours.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Gonna make chicken taco soup. Eating out is rare for me anymore. Yesterday was one and I think the only other time I did since January was a House of Pizza about a month ago. I have a post it note on my cabinet with meals to make that I have ingredients for aside from fruits and veggies that go bad rather quickly. The garage freezer is filled with meats bought at Lowry's Meat and Seafood in MI all vacuum packed. I really tired of eating take out and such stopping in my company truck while working. Retirement allows time for cooking, the gun range and shooting my bows along with the house. May need to got to Carniceria La Chiquita for some tamales eventually.
    u gonna venture into the badlands. ;)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    When you let it rest that long, how do you get it hot enough to eat again?

Oh, and by the way, I should have kept it out when I pulled it the first time, but the blood threw me. It was definitely overdone, but it tasted SO good. Marinated it in the applesauce, brown sugar, and garlic for a day, then baked it in the marinade. Used it as a sauce when I served it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Cook set came from Raccoon Forge out near Ft. Wayne. They were always a vendor at the Compton traditional archery show in Berrien Springs every father's day weekend. I love that thing. Hell, I built that fire pit to learn how to cook over coals mountain man, cowboy style.

View attachment 272789
    I see you already have a fire-wood grabber tool but if you ever want another one - I highly recommend a Pyroclaw. I use these and got one for my son too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom