Merrillville
    Timkin

5 shifts 3-11
    2 days off
    5 shifts mids
    2 days off
    5 shifts days
    1 day off

So, many people find it easier to shift from mids to 3-11s. But Timkin shifts forward, mids to days.

Also, every 3 weeks, you go back a day.
    So, if you are working mon-fri..
    after day shifts you get 1 day off, and now you work sun to thur
    3 weeks later sat to wed.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    When talking schedules remember that "first shift" could be days turn or midnights. I saw it treated differently in different departments in the same mill.

You can "swing" in either direction.

Lots of variations to the basic schedule.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Looks like these guys covered it. We rotate it backwards (midnights>afternoons>day) and we have two doubles(16 hrs) thrown in there every week as well.

We WERE on the "Dupont " schedule which is a 12 hour schedule that goes 4 nights 3 off, 3 days 1 off, 3 night 3 off, 4 day 7off (except scheduled a few of those off days to cover being shorthanded) but our manlet boss took 8 weeks of leave because his wife had a baby and the guy covering for him during that time didn't want to have to deal with doing the scheduling.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am a 40 hr. week, day shift kind of guy. OT only if it was necessary, the same for Saturdays.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Timkin

5 shifts 3-11
    2 days off
    5 shifts mids
    2 days off
    5 shifts days
    1 day off

So, many people find it easier to shift from mids to 3-11s. But Timkin shifts forward, mids to days.

Also, every 3 weeks, you go back a day.
    So, if you are working mon-fri..
    after day shifts you get 1 day off, and now you work sun to thur
    3 weeks later sat to wed.
    always tired, jet lagged, not sure what day it is?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Things I enjoyed about swing shift:

1. Few, if any, supervisors on the night shifts.

2. Days off during the week. How the heck do you get anything done only being off Sat & Sun?

3. Most folks don't like working mid-nights so it was always easy to trade if I needed to.

4. Where I worked crews tended to stay together for long periods. I was lucky to be on some good crews with good people over the years.

always tired, jet lagged, not sure what day it is?
    Some folks more than others. I'm not a day person, working straight days would have been a nightmare for me.

I had too many scheduled activities to loose track of the day. I do that more often now that I only work a few days a month and with no kids to be active with.

I liked afternoons the best, but that doesn't work well with family activities.

Plenty of fathers who worked 9-5 missed most of their kids after school activities. I was able to make the majority for my kids.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    My entire career there was no such thing as overtime. Day, night, weekend, holiday,....all the same. If you worked more hrs than required you sometimes got paid for a few more hrs at your normal rate. If you were held out for a few extra days they were supposed to make those days up with off days but they never did. You just worked until you were done. The job was claimed as week on/week off, but the week on was 9 days long and the week off was 5. 90% of the time you were on the backside of the clock and ended up two or three time zones from where you started, sometimes as much as five or six. For twenty yrs I didn't know where I was or what I was doing or what day/time it was. I just didn't know I didn't know until I stopped doing it.

The only limit that mattered was 16hrs duty per day and that only applied domestically. If you were on an international flight there was no duty limitation, only a 12hr flight limit, and there were exceptions that allowed you to exceed that limit. My longest day,......36hrs in the cockpit, 12.9hrs of flight, all due to weather and delays. Eight hrs later we were 'legally' rested and had to undo it all.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I really enjoyed working 4-12's because of not being a morning person. Never have been and never will be. Plenty of overtime was
    worked, 16's, 24's and even 32's. Pay was great and double time after 14 hours but as stated, no time to do anything except the bare necessities.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom