Northwest Indiana Gun Owners # 25 good morning all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Well, take that effectiveness, and then divide it even further due to medical down time.

The Navy was interested in having female nuclear operators. At the time, they were not authorized on subs, I can't remember about carriers if they could.
    Anyway, they figured that trained women could come on board a sub when it entered port, so to give the crew more down time, so they could rest up for the next underway.

At the time, it was determined that during the 6 year enlistment (nuke enlistment is minimum 6 years, because it's 2 years of schools), there was an average of 2 pregnancies per trained female operator.
    Anytime pregnancy is detected, the woman must be removed from all nuclear power plants.
    Coupled with recovery time, it was determined that 2 years are lost.
    So, 2 years training, 2 years childbirth/pregnancy, and then 2 years of use.
    As opposed to a male, 2 years of training and then 4 years of use.
    Of course, these are averages. At the individual level, some women would have 0 or 1 child. And some men might be injured, changing how much use you get.
    Also, on a 2 year reenlistment, the amount of births tend to drop. So the cost of training gets a better "return"
    But, reenlistments are a smaller percentage.

So, at the time, the training for a nuke was estimated to be $250,000.
    They figured they didn't want to spend the money on a group that, on average, would get half as much use.

(Note: the military does the same calculation for medical problems, such as cancer.
    Do they spend the money to keep the serviceperson? Or do they just discharge them, and train a new person they can get more years out of.

Anyway
    If you have problems with getting "X" amount of work out of someone..
    And then you throw in transitions medical down time, you're going to get even less work (or return on the $$)
    I have a friend that is an actuary. Mathematical genus. They do those types of studies for everything from insurance, pensions, etc utilizing all sorts of calculations to get the most bang for the buck. Had some fun times on his 30' sailboat in Lake Michigan years ago.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm south of US30 all day today and tomorrow.

I'm coaching Purdue University at Ohio State for the OSU Fencing Tournament. The OPEN portion of the event was today. 2 of my students earned national ratings today in the individual events. Tomorrow is the teams "dual" event. I'm hoping that Purdue can take 2nd place overall. Ohio State stacked this event, they will easily win.

Purdue has a chance at 2nd overall. Just as easily could take 3rd of 4th. Honestly it will depend on Mens/Women's Foil and Men's Epee performance. Women's Epee, Men's & Women's Saber are pretty solid performers.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Coaching cross country, pumpkin patch, then mowing left a long day. Colts game tomorrow with my financial guy tomorrow v the Rams. Condo for for breakfast
    , bs, game, dinner, ride back up...long day. Kid has a 2k at Chellberg. We are a family family that does.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I put some bird cakes out but the squirrels keep chasing the birds away from them. They like sitting at the base of an oak
    tree eating acorns also. The age old question being how to keep squirrels away from bird feeders.

IMG_4914.JPG

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom