• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I was over at a friend's house this weekend and he had a bunch of guns he brought home that belonged to a cousin who passed away. The wife doesn't like guns so my buddy is trying to sell the guns for her.

He showed me some of them, mostly lower end stuff. But there are a few nice pieces in the mix including a Colt Police Positive.

The one that caught my eye is Browning BAR Grade 2, Belgium made, pristine condition, in 30-06, for $1000. Really beautiful rife. For those familiar, it's the model that has an elk engraved on one side of the receiver and an antelope on the other side.

Looking forward to checking out the serial number, am interested in finding out when it was made.

I haven't given him the money yet but took it home to show the wife. Will post some pics soon.

Last edited:

br9x

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Noblesville
    great find and a very good price at the condition you described. Im always keeping my eye out for a browning bar just simply a beautiful rifle. You dont see them very often or atleast i havent. I know you can see quite a few on gunbroker i just hate doing that much rathe purchase face to face but thats me.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    great find and a very good price at the condition you described. Im always keeping my eye out for a browning bar just simply a beautiful rifle. You dont see them very often or atleast i havent. I know you can see quite a few on gunbroker i just hate doing that much rathe purchase face to face but thats me.

I looked on Gunbroker and there are only couple of these, only one in 30-06. They're asking 1150. So I think the price of $1000 for the one I'm looking at is fair, especially considering that the gun has a Bushnell scope mounted on it and doesn't have a single scratch on it. Whoever owned it was meticulous about keeping it nice.

Looking forward to posting a few pics.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That's a nice rifle, and a fair price for a grade 2.
    How's the wood ? Does it have its box ?

The rifle is in pristine condition. I could not find a single scratch or blemish anywhere on the metal or on the wood, it looks new. Whoever owned this was very careful with it to keep it immaculate. From what I understand he was a high school principal, and old school German, quite the meticulous type according to his wife. He did use it to hunt mule deer and killed a few with it. The only telltale sign of age is that the grease on the back side of the bolt looks a little dirty which will disappear as soon as I get a chance to clean it up.

No box, but it came in a very nice zippered case which I will include in the pics when I get a chance.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You never pay too much, only pay too soon.:D

This is a gentleman's agreement between friends. My buddy's cousin passed and my buddy is selling the guns for his cousin's wife. He showed me the BAR, and I was interested. Then he hesitates and tells me is also interested in that gun, but because he's in the process of building a house, doesn't want to part with the $1000 right now. I told him OK, I'll buy it just to keep it in the family so to speak. If you want it down the road sometime, I'll sell it back. I told him my wife would be more likely to go along with the purchase if it was just a temporary thing anyway. As I'm backing out of the driveway, my friend reminds me, "I'm going to want that rifle back down the road, say 2 or 3 years". As I drove off I smiled at him and said, "don't be greedy". ;)

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The BAR is a much underrated rifle I think, soft recoil, fast followup shots, and accurate. Mine is a BAR II Safari, originally in 338 Winchester Magnum it was rebarreled to the 375/338 cartridge and duplicated the 375 H&H round in a soft shooting semi auto.

View attachment 41062

They are nice rifles. I used to have one but gave it to my son-in-law. That was a 7mm rem mag standard (Grade 1). I'm happy for my son-in-law to have my first one, but I do miss it. Since then I have developed more of a preference for 30 cal rifles and really prefer the 30-06, plus I have other rifles in that caliber, have the reloading dies, etc. So I look at the new acquisition as getting my BAR back, except better.

Last edited:

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    BAR is a fine semi auto. I have a Grade 2 in .30-06 with a Leupold 1.5 - 4 scope on it. Picked it up on a similar situation, but I let the guy know it was not coming back! :):

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Man, tough crowd!

OK, here's a few pics....

DSC00360_zpsufddsh3z.jpg

DSC00361_zpsa3chr38b.jpg

DSC00363_zpsclpci1qj.jpg

DSC00366_zpsini8laxx.jpg

DSC00369_zpsdbwzinbn.jpg

DSC00377_zpsyxlcj4yw.jpg

DSC00378_zps6fj98hhj.jpg

DSC00379_zpsjwxqlghs.jpg

DSC00383_zpsklbusu2r.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm just glad that someone didn't offer it to me, because even the reasonable price for a grade II BAR is way out of the realm of what I could afford, so I'd go away heartbroken.
    If you can justify it to the Mrs. and afford it, I'd scoop up that gorgeous rifle in a heartbeat.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not that well versed in Browning identification.
    I have a Belgium made Browning BAR in .30-06 but it is not engraved.

Which grade would that be?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wow! That is one nice looking rifle!! Great condition! Those last two pictures really tell the tale!!

Of course, when I first saw this thread I thought you were talking about a BAR, ie WWII Browning Automatic Rifle, in semi. ;)

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    A fantastic Rifle I have hunted a few times with a Friends similar rifle but in 7mm Rem Mag just wonderful. I think you will be satisfied with your new rifle.

Top Bottom