• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I was thinking about this a few days ago and then read a thread tonight that mentioned it.
    Wondering if there would be others, like myself, that would be interested in helping out someone that is trying to get started in reloading. Kind of a "pay it forward" thing.
    After 25 years of reloading, I have extra "stuff". I would be willing to donate a few things to a young person or new reloader with limited funds, for the cost of shipping, alone.
    Any other seasoned reloaders willing to do this?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would be up for something like this, but I've just started reloading myself.
    I have less than 1k rounds through my press and just don't have that many "extras" laying around.
    It's taken me more than 2 years, and a LOT of searching to accumulate what I have now.
    I have offered to teach a few newbs what little I do know, but that's not much.

It's a fine idea.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I am not a seasoned reloader but I am on the other end that you mentioned! I have posted in the WTB section trying to find some cheap components to start reloading 45 Long Colt for my daughter. I have a carbine length 45 for her for deer season but am choaking on the price for them new. I have a Lee loader that I picked up from the classifieds and have yet to use it as I have been trying to slowly acquire the components to do so. I need to get her a lot more practice with it before this year's season but at $1.00 per shot that is hard to do. I am looking for brass and dies if anyone has any that they are no longer using.

PM me if you have anything that could be helpful.

Thanks for the thread. I am glad you started it.

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    As a new reloader I believe some reloading classes would be beneficial. I remember long ago members used to host them.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Mgderf,
    I like your enthusiasm to help, even though you are new to reloading! Are there things that you are still lacking?

bobjones223,
    I too, reload and shoot .45 Colt in two lever guns and a single action revolver. Used .45 Colt brass is not the easiest to come by. Not a ton of people shooting it and not shooting much of it when they do. .38 Special is the top choice in the cowboy action game and .357/.44 Magnum seems to more prevalent for deer hunting. Unfortunately, I only have one set of dies, or I would hook you up. Lee dies can be had for $30-35 a set. As you know, that's just about one box of factory ammo.

I would certainly be willing to help someone get a press set up and learn to reload, if they were close enough to me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am not a seasoned reloader but I am on the other end that you mentioned! I have posted in the WTB section trying to find some cheap components to start reloading 45 Long Colt for my daughter. I have a carbine length 45 for her for deer season but am choaking on the price for them new. I have a Lee loader that I picked up from the classifieds and have yet to use it as I have been trying to slowly acquire the components to do so. I need to get her a lot more practice with it before this year's season but at $1.00 per shot that is hard to do. I am looking for brass and dies if anyone has any that they are no longer using.

Bob,
    I started to reload about a year ago, but I haven't done much yet.
    I have reloaded a handful of .45/70govt for my Thompson Contender.
    I went looking for once-fired brass as well and was sorely disappointed.
    I did just happen to run across a sale from Star-Line brass and bought 500 new cases.

Daughters need to learn to shoot, and price should be the last obstacle we should need to worry about for it.
    You said you have a Lee Loader. Start looking for some dies. New or used, doesn't matter as long as they are in good shape.
    You're in Noblesville so powder and primers should be fairly easy to find. Maybe spendy, but you should be able to locate them.

Pm me your contact information and I'll send you 50 brand new .45 Colt Star-Line cases to play with.
    If you're careful with them, and don't load them to max. you should be able to get several hundred rounds of practice/hunting out of them.
    May even throw in a few powder-coated pills...:ingo:

BTW- Great thread Scout

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mgderf,
    I like your enthusiasm to help, even though you are new to reloading! Are there things that you are still lacking?...

Scout,
    Not "lacking", but I would really like to find a couple more 4-hole turret heads for a Lee Classic Turret press.
    Happen to have any spares laying around?
    I'll buy them from you if the price is right.

Thanks for the offer regardless.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Bob,
    I started to reload about a year ago, but I haven't done much yet.
    I have reloaded a handful of .45/70govt for my Thompson Contender.
    I went looking for once-fired brass as well and was sorely disappointed.
    I did just happen to run across a sale from Star-Line brass and bought 500 new cases.

Daughters need to learn to shoot, and price should be the last obstacle we should need to worry about for it.
    You said you have a Lee Loader. Start looking for some dies. New or used, doesn't matter as long as they are in good shape.
    You're in Noblesville so powder and primers should be fairly easy to find. Maybe spendy, but you should be able to locate them.

Pm me your contact information and I'll send you 50 brand new Star-Line cases to play with.
    If you're careful with them, and don't load them to max. you should be able to get several hundred rounds of practice/hunting out of them.
    May even throw in a few powder-coated pills...:ingo:

BTW- Great thread Scout

It never ceases to amaze me what an awesome website this is and how great the members are. I have PMed you and look forward to hearing from you soon. I agre that cost shouldn't be an issue but like everyone it always is. I am currently working on getting her some better glass for the gun because it came with a crappy $30.00 scope that needs to be replaced. I am thinking a Bushnell Banner for it 1-4 power since we are talking a 75yd to 100yd max. I did get a kick out of shooting it though... I think that is the only time I have ever watched the bullet fly to the target...it is slow but I know it will get the job done.

Thanks again

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Scout,
    Not "lacking", but I would really like to find a couple more 4-hole turret heads for a Lee Classic Turret press.

I'm looking for the same thing. There's some in the classifieds, but he doesn't want to separate. I plan to go to a Dillon in the near future so mine may be up soon. I've only been reloading for 1 month and have went through 1,000 rounds and plan to do much more with USPSA.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm looking for the same thing. There's some in the classifieds, but he doesn't want to separate. I plan to go to a Dillon in the near future so mine may be up soon. I've only been reloading for 1 month and have went through 1,000 rounds and plan to do much more with USPSA.

Put me on the list for a four hole Lee head if you decide to split the package up...

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    bobjones223,
    Just did an inventory. PM me your address and I will also send you some .45 Colt brass and bullets.

Mgderf,
    I run Dillon and RCBS reloaders. Sorry, no Lee turret heads here. Do you have a digital powder scale or a good set of calipers?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    bobjones223,
    Just did an inventory. PM me your address and I will also send you some .45 Colt brass and bullets.

Mgderf,
    I run Dillon and RCBS reloaders. Sorry, no Lee turret heads here. Do you have a digital powder scale or a good set of calipers?

I have a set of Horndy digital scales, and Frankford Arsenal calipers. I'm actually set up pretty well, but I could use a cheap powder trickler if you have one to spare. I'll buy it of course.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Scout,

I have one you can have for free if you want. I'm on the SW side.

I read this, and was thinking what I had. I have a 4 hole turret, and some brass (40 and 380). I also have a powder trickler.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have one you can have for free if you want. I'm on the SW side.

I read this, and was thinking what I had. I have a 4 hole turret, and some brass (40 and 380). I also have a powder trickler.

Pm'd.
    I don't need a trickler anymore, thanks to Scout6A!, and I'm set pretty well on brass.
    I do enjoy the pay-it-forward idea.
    I'm sure someone else on here will have a use for them.

This is indeed a very generous site...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Starline. You can get it through Amazon or a bajillion online catalogs.

http://www.amazon.com/45-Colt-Starl...8&qid=1457061021&sr=8-1&keywords=.45+LC+brass

They last. I bought 200, I just load them, go shoot them, then reload them. Range pickup .45 LC is like unicorn tears.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

http://www.amazon.com/45-Colt-Starl...8&qid=1457061021&sr=8-1&keywords=.45+LC+brass

They last. I bought 200, I just load them, go shoot them, then reload them. Range pickup .45 LC is like unicorn tears.

I'm pretty sure I got a little better price, although it was on a larger quantity, straight from Star-Line.
    They don't always have .45Colt brass in stock though.

My saving grace is that most of my .45Colt guns are single-shots or revolvers so the brass is easily captured.
    My one .45Colt repeater is a Rossi 92, actually in .454Casull, sees quite a bit of range/field time, but I pay particular attention to that brass.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Yes I can say I have never found any at the range. On the same note I have a bit (20-40) 6.5X55 brass if anyone wants them. I also have +50 TCM-22 brass that I picked up at the last range visit...cool little round.

Can mail out it someone wants them.

Top Bottom