• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Connersville
    I'm definitely wanting to get into reloading so I've been trying to educate myself on here. No equipment yet, just trying to decide what set up would be best for me. The lee classic turret seems like a good option or I might bite the bullet and get a Dillon 550. I will probably get some manuals first and go from there. I really like the idea of a reloading class for us noobies.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I've had a lee turret for a couple months. Have loaded and shot close to 1,500 in that timeframe. I thought I could learn reloading on the lee and upgrade to a Dillon in a year. We'll with shooting 500-1000 a month I've realized I should have bought the 550. I'm currently looking to buy a 550 for just 9mm and may keep the lee for other calibers. It just depends on how much you shoot. I love standing at my reloader, but not 2 hours every night.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    There was one in the classifieds....Wasn't set up for 9 though. For about $50 for a tool head it would be an easy change

EDIT- My bad I called it a tool head when in fact you'd need to change the calibeer conversion

Last edited:

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    I love reloading and don’t mind spending time changing dies, feel it gives my control and a way to verify that everything is the way it should be. My wife and I shoot almost every weekend so that is the main reason to reload, we will shoot up 600+ rounds just enjoying the day. I have a single stage press, RCBS rock chucker and have reloaded over 2k rounds through it in 9mm mostly, but 40 smiths, 38 special, 380 autos, have been reading these threads on the Dillon 550 and went to the web site to check it out. Here is my question, already have a significant investment in dies both lee and RCBS, will they work in this press and do you have to have conversion kits for every caliber. Lastly, it looks like the best way to use this press is to get the conversion kit for what you reload the most, and maybe reserve my single stage for reloading my rifle brass? Thoughts?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You dies will work just fine in most cases. And lots of loaders use a single stage press for rifle calibers while owning a progressive machine.

I have been known to size rifle cases on one of my Dillons and then tumble and hand prime, then finish on my Rockchucker.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You dies will work just fine in most cases. And lots of loaders use a single stage press for rifle calibers while owning a progressive machine.

I have been known to size rifle cases on one of my Dillons and then tumble and hand prime, then finish on my Rockchucker.

I do have conversions for all calibers we shoot and a bunch for calibers I don't own. Extras seem to show up when I have bought a used package deal and the conversions come along with the package.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    What squirrel said, We are using Lee and RCBS dies. We have 2 550's and 2 Rock Chuckers set up.
    You'll need a conversion kit for every caliber you want to load, extra tool heads with powder drops are nice too, that way you can leave your dies and powder setting alone.
    The thing I do different than squirrel is- I'll resize my rifle brass on the RCBS, leave the sizing die out of the 550 and load on it, all though I've only done this with 223 so far.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have a 650 and love it, BUT and many guys on here told me this... I would start with a single stage press. In fact, I may still buy one. When guys were telling me this I was thinking they were saying, "a progressive is too hard to learn on", but what I am saying is "it just doesn't make sense to learn on a progressive". It's pretty frequent that I use my 650 with the shell plate locked down to mimic a single stages consistency.

Every time I go to do load development or when I am loading specialty rounds, the progressive is more a hindrance than a help. It would be much easier to load new batches of 10 or less using a single stage press and a powder trickler. Then once you have the load developed, sure crank out several hundred on your progressive. If you want to start with less investment you could easily develop and experiment with several loads prior to ever needing or benefitting from a higher capacity press. Get decent dies and other tools and they will work great when you upgrade too.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Lee dies will work, so will RCBS.
    That said, I like to go to the hardware and buy thinner 7/8 nuts, you can get a little more die adjustment that way.

Top Bottom