• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texashoghunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    took my ruger 556 lower with after market upper to new gunsmith/so far 5 positon butt stock now falls off and trigger assemble pin falls out during cycling causing bolt to lock up/gun will not cycle/ ship to factory...or
    go back to shop or confront /expose bad work ....any ideas/so far this has ruined my out of state hunting trip(writing this from texas) as my ruger is now inoperable?

what would u do?????

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    took my ruger 556 lower with after market upper to new gunsmith/so far 5 positon butt stock now falls off and trigger assemble pin falls out during cycling causing bolt to lock up/gun will not cycle/ ship to factory...or
    go back to shop or confront /expose bad work ....any ideas/so far this has ruined my out of state hunting trip(writing this from texas) as my ruger is now inoperable?

what would u do?????

I would go back to the gunsmith so he can fix, if he fails again, then shipped it to RUGER:twocents:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Your trigger pin likely walks out because the hammer spring legs are in the wrong position. Make sure that both legs of the hammer spring are resting on top of the trigger pin.
    I don't know why your stock would fall off unless the locking pin is stuck in the "unlocked" position. When you squeeze the adjusting lever on the stock, is it under noticeable spring pressure? If not, bang on it a little until the pin pops into position.

Assembling an AR lower is child's play. Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself, no gunsmith required...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Your trigger pin likely walks out because the hammer spring legs are in the wrong position. Make sure that both legs of the hammer spring are resting on top of the trigger pin.
    I don't know why your stock would fall off unless the locking pin is stuck in the "unlocked" position. When you squeeze the adjusting lever on the stock, is it under noticeable spring pressure? If not, bang on it a little until the pin pops into position.

Assembling an AR lower is child's play. Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself, no gunsmith required...
    ^this^
    I've even put together an AR lower.:rolleyes: I would take it back one time in order for him to make it right. Then I'd never go back again. If he can't put an AR back together right, I surely wouldn't trust him with anything more complicated than a cap gun.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Don't be so quick to blame the 'smith. If the pin in the stock is the culprit, it could have gotten stuck when the owner went to adjust the stock but had worked fine while in the gunsmith's care. These things happen. Trigger pins are known to walk out even when the hammer spring legs are in the correct position. Without this phenomenon KNS wouldn't be in business :): My suggestions are simply things to look for that would be obvious causes.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    take it back to the smith. if he knows anything at all about AR's he should be able to pin point the problem('s). after all, im sure you paid a pritty penny for him to do the work he was supposed to do.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I am also wondering what in the world anybody would take an AR to a gunsmith for. I mean, they are one of the most simple rifles to assemble from scratch, there are tons of videos out there, and manuals. Anyways. Take it back to him. Don't be nice, but don't be mean. BE FIRM. Say, "Dude, I brought you this gun to do ____ and when I got it back, it was falling apart." If he values his reputation, he will make it right.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'd probably learn the English language.

Nice.

Just take it back and have him make it right. I mean, you paid the man, didn't you?

Next time, as is being said, do the work yourself. But... for this one, this is why I'm not an FFL holder right now. He has to carry a minimum of $1,000,000 insurance. He'll make it right so his rates don't spike, if not because it's just the right thing to do :dunno:

Josh

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    was it done here in Indiana?.....if it was you should have checked function of the weapon before you left....just because it came back from a smith don't mean it runs right.....should have ran a few rounds before you left.....as others have said check the hammer spring legs and see if the stock adjuster lever is stuck down....

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'd probably learn the English language.

Maybe he delivered his instructions to the smith in the form of a single block of text with little regard for capitalization or punctuation. While that style of 'writing' seems to be increasing in popularity, I'm not sure it represents progress.

Add some whitespace.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    If I was in Texas currently on a hunting trip, I'd be taking the thing apart myself pronto and not even messing with discussion on this, or any, forum.

Take your upper off and you will see your problem. These things aren't rocket-science by any stretch of the imagination.

Another piece of advice, albeit unsolicited, never leave for an out-of-state hunt (or any hunt for that matter) without confirming your equipment works!

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    The guy camE here for advice about his rifle problem not to have you little girls whine about his grammar help him out or gtfo. I'd take it back to the smith man.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    2 things:
    1. Take the rifle back to the guy who you originally had work on it.
    2. Take a backup rifle with you whenever you go out of state to hunt.

texashoghunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    why did i take my ar to him?
    he was working on upper
    on his own he dis-assembled lower

functions fine until live rounds are used
    before clip is half spent pins start moving

for sure never moved before he took apart

we spoke about my next purchase a 308 ar

when he asked me why i did not put 308 upper on 556 lower ......
    i began to get a bad feeling about his knowledge of ar's

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    why did i take my ar to him?
    he was working on upper
    on his own he dis-assembled lower

functions fine until live rounds are used
    before clip is half spent pins start moving

for sure never moved before he took apart

we spoke about my next purchase a 308 ar

when he asked me why i did not put 308 upper on 556 lower ......
    i began to get a bad feeling about his knowledge of ar's

Yeah man, I would've gotten a bad feeling to if a gunsmith didn't know that a 308 requires a different lower then the 5.56

Top Bottom