• ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Is it just a side clamp?
    It is, but it’s rock solid. Held iPhone 11 Pro max no problem, even with the shaking of an evo Harley.

This is the same thing rebranded.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It is, but it’s rock solid. Held iPhone 11 Pro max no problem, even with the shaking of an evo Harley.

This is the same thing rebranded.

I ride gravel often enough that I’d want more than a clamp.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So what's the go-to short list of models to look out for if one is interested in picking up a used dual sport/adventure bike for long rides on backroads and unimproved roads?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So what's the go-to short list of models to look out for if one is interested in picking up a used dual sport/adventure bike for long rides on backroads and unimproved roads?
    How long of a ride? Couple hours during the weekend or one of the Backcountry Adventure Routes that crosses a few state lines?

Generally I'd say look for a used: KTM, BMW or more likely a Honda Several dual sport models from each brand, pick your displacement. Upside of Honda is availability.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How long of a ride? Couple hours during the weekend or one of the Backcountry Adventure Routes that crosses a few state lines?

Generally I'd say look for a used: KTM, BMW or more likely a Honda Several dual sport models from each brand, pick your displacement. Upside of Honda is availability.
    I'd be a new rider, starting with a couple hour rides around the county and then at some point wanting to load it down with a pack and go camping.

Most interested in low cost and high parts availability. Been looking at stuff like Ninjas and CBRs in the past, but I think a more upright position would be more comfortable on a long ride and would be closer to how I already ride a bicycle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'd be a new rider, starting with a couple hour rides around the county and then at some point wanting to load it down with a pack and go camping.

Most interested in low cost and high parts availability. Been looking at stuff like Ninjas and CBRs in the past, but I think a more upright position would be more comfortable on a long ride and would be closer to how I already ride a bicycle.
    Honda CB500x

Honda makes several variants of the CB series, the 500 is light enough for what you want off road, but great road manners to take on the road for a trip to go camping. Low cost, parts availability and lots of accessories for that bike available. Probably a lot more of those on the used market than multiple models from KTM + BMW combined.

Reactions: Ark

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love my RAM mount. I have never used the rubber thing but I leave it on incase we get into some rough roads. I had one of those magnet mounts... never again. I also have it perch mount as you can see.

That's what mine looks like. Except mine is mounted higher up on the wind screen bracket. I dont notice it, until I pay close attention, but my Givi windscreen shakes quite a bit also. Factory screen (and mounts designed for it,) was much shorter.

One option may be to move my RAM mount to a bar mount?
    I switched to a QUAD LOCK phone mount and have been using it for 2+ years. Quad Lock makes a couple versions. If your phone has image stabilization then you need the Anti-Vibration mount. If your phone has a more simple camera then you can use the standard mount. I have an iPhone 8, so its several years old and without image stabilization.

My mount is connected to my windshield frame using a RAM Ball and RAM Arm. Vibrates a bit but not so much that its a problem to read the screen. Mounted over my instrument cluster.

The QUAD LOCK is a rock solid mount, doesn't rely on rubber bands or clamps. It locks the phone into the mount.

1 hand to lock the phone into the mount. 1 hand to unlock it. Takes a couple seconds but is mechanically locked onto the bike, not simply netted into place.

30ZVrQOISuW6evNj8kO2kQ.jpg
    Thank you, but I'd like to not stick anything to my phone, if possible. My phone spends a lot of time in shirt and pants pockets.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One of these has served me well both on the Harley and now the Wing.

I wonder if I couldn't buy just the techrgripper and a ball size adapter to mount to the RAM mount in the location that I really like?

The shaking of the phone is intermittent with road bumps, potholes, etc. It's not an issue with routine riding, But I cannot have the phone shaking out of the mount again. For obvious reasons.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I wonder if I couldn't buy just the techrgripper and a ball size adapter to mount to the RAM mount in the location that I really like?

The shaking of the phone is intermittent with road bumps, potholes, etc. It's not an issue with routine riding, But I cannot have the phone shaking out of the mount again. For obvious reasons.
    One of my riding buddies has a tech gripper thingy and loves it.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have a Kuryakyn tech mount. Definitely not one handed usable, it locks in place with detented screws.
    https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4...rch-mount-tech-connect-device-mounting-system

I have looked at the Biker gripper from the law-abiding biker shop / YouTube guy. If I didn't have a Kuryakyn I might go with the biker gripper as I have a Ciro drink holder mount on the other side which I found out from the law-abiding biker site and it works well.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a Kuryakyn tech mount. Definitely not one handed usable, it locks in place with detented screws.
    https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4...rch-mount-tech-connect-device-mounting-system

I have looked at the Biker gripper from the law-abiding biker shop / YouTube guy. If I didn't have a Kuryakyn I might go with the biker gripper as I have a Ciro drink holder mount on the other side which I found out from the law-abiding biker site and it works well.
    Just buy a tech mount and cut off $10 for the “logo”.

Top Bottom