• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I went through yesterday and took out all the bulbs to see what I needed to order for LED replacements. Earlier today I decided I was going to ride to work tonight so I put all the old bulbs back in...now my spotlights in the light bar aren't working. Looks like I get to chase a bad wire or loose connection down.

99% of the time it's a bad ground. Of course this time it may be the 1%. ;)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    $747.88 in losses just from the gear I was wearing.

EMS cut off my pants, jacket, and glovesl

No visible damage to my helmet but you shouldn't reuse one that has been in an accident.

Photochromic face shield is missing, maybe it took the impact and shattered or something which would explain why it's gone and why there's nothing looking like damage on the rest of the helmet

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    $747.88 in losses just from the gear I was wearing.

EMS cut off my pants, jacket, and glovesl

No visible damage to my helmet but you shouldn't reuse one that has been in an accident.

Photochromic face shield is missing, maybe it took the impact and shattered or something which would explain why it's gone and why there's nothing looking like damage on the rest of the helmet

Look at it this way - you get to buy new gear! :rockwoot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm hoping our friend is well taken care of by the insurance companies involved.

Years back, I worked with a 19 year old whose father sprung for a new R6 for him. It wasn't long into his first season riding that a "deer walked out in front of him?" in a curve. Guy made it through pretty much unscathed, but the bike was totaled.

The poor kid was very naive. He was talking about when his dad's insurance company, "will get him his new bike." Sadly, I had to break it to him about how this was very likely gonna go. Don't know whether he ever rode again or not, but for sure it was years out.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Even if my bike is replaced I doubt I'll be back in the saddle very soon. I have a reconstructed left forearm to heal and a clutch hand that will have to regain grip strength.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Even if my bike is replaced I doubt I'll be back in the saddle very soon. I have a reconstructed left forearm to heal and a clutch hand that will have to regain grip strength.

Goldwing with a DCT transmission. No clutch level on that bike.

DCT is also offered on the Africa Twin and NC750x motorcycles.

From what I understand, the DCT is most common on the big Wings. It is very very popular on the Africa Twin, where it was given high praise by the off-road crowd. I have it on my NC750x and love it, makes up about 40% of the NC750x market sales.

Auto shifts, but also has paddles for manual override. Several modes for Drive, Sport 1, Sport 2 and Sport 3. Traction control for everything from pavement to dirt roads, to full offroad. It is a learning transmission that adapts to your riding style, adapted from Porsche's DCT transmission. Sport 1 is a great compromise between economy and performance. I never mess with the traction control unless I'm going on a long gravel/dirt road. For anything under a mile I typically leave it in pavement mode.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Late to the helmet chatter. Current lid is a Bell Star Carbon - Airtrix 2013 limited edition MotoGP https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...-star-helmet-unveiled-ahead-of-laguna-motogp/
    Love this helmet. Great ventilation and super light. Last helmet was an Arai Quantum F (Okada) Wife has a higher end Suomy. I will most likely look at Bell first when i swap out again.

According to the literature, and I'm NOT suggesting it is correct because much of it could be marketing hype, replace a helmet after 1 impact, 5 years of normal use, or 7 years from the date of manufacture. So if yours is a 2013 you should be replacing it this season if you follow what the manufacturers recommend (and I'm not saying you should).

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I might look into one of those. I've been interested in the Africa Twin particularly but I'm not sure I wanna move off a cruiser just yet. Who knows might not have a choice though lol.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I might look into one of those. I've been interested in the Africa Twin particularly but I'm not sure I wanna move off a cruiser just yet. Who knows might not have a choice though lol.

I have a friend that loves the NC750x... I really love the storage space on those.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have a friend that loves the NC750x... I really love the storage space on those.

FWIW my wife rides a 2016 NC700x and I ride a 2018 NC750x. Both have the DCT. But the "Frunk" storage is awesome.

The NC750x is a smaller, more fuel efficient and very street tamed version of the Africa Twin. Both are in the Adventure bike category according to Honda. Realistically the NC750x is a street bike that looks like an off-road bike. I regularly run mine on gravel roads, but the suspension is not designed for serious off road. There are aftermarket forks and rear shocks available. There are many NC700/750x bikes that have done round the world, TransAmerica trail, etc.

Honda is rumored to be putting out a new Africa Twin next year(?) that will be an 850cc bike. Current Africa twin is an 1100. Honda may be coming out with an all new NCx next year as well. There are rumors the model lines may merge and other rumors that they will just share a new engine with the NC remaining a street oriented ADV/Touring bike and the new baby 850cc AT being the offroad oriented ADV/Touring bike.

The NC with stock set up will run off road but it needs to be on fairly tame ground, especially with street tires. I switched from a 70/30 tire to a 100% street tire and still run some single tracks and gravel.

fullsizeoutput_78da.jpg

eF4142rATqSZitEkhL7S2A.jpg

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    According to the literature, and I'm NOT suggesting it is correct because much of it could be marketing hype, replace a helmet after 1 impact, 5 years of normal use, or 7 years from the date of manufacture. So if yours is a 2013 you should be replacing it this season if you follow what the manufacturers recommend (and I'm not saying you should).
    Yeah, well aware of the 5 year suggestion as a 30 yr + rider and once upon a time WERA/CCS weekend player. I try to do every 7 but it really depends on the condition i feel the helmet interior is in to be honest. And these days i am a very limited rider as it tends to not be convenient for work. Not even doing 2500 a year these days. The 7 year theory is more about tech advancement than material deterioration, (again IMO) so it is kind of marketing IMO. Side note - there is a whole contingent of guys that are riding their retro/restored/custom 60's-70s bikes complete with vintage helmets. (no thanks) lol.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’m still deciding if I’m going to keep it. It leans over and handles curves great. The only problem is where I least expected it... in a straight line at highway speed. The back end seems to wander a bit. Just a slight side to side, like it can’t quite decide where to track. It also seems amplified by wind or truck turbulence.

I’m going to play with tire pressure and see if I can reduce or eliminate it.

After 2k+ miles, my Darkside experiment is over. Never did get better on the highway. It finally feels “right” and balanced again.

95D9jA2_d.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Motorcyclegear has KLIM armored moto pants on sale. Ordered myself a pair of the KLIM Outrider pants. https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/textile_pants/klim/626_outrider_pants.html

Arrived in 3 days and have been wearing them during the hot weather. Not bad in the heat. Not a cool as my mesh Rev'it pants but really not too bad.

Look and wear about like a pair of Carhartt work pants. Got the khaki color. I wear a waist 36 pair of Wrangler blue jeans, ordered the KLIM Outrider is size 36 and they fit just a bit looser than the Wranglers, so plenty of room for an IWB holster with a 1911.

Legs are cut pretty loose on the Outrider pants, no problem wearing these over a pair of cycle boots. Good pockets, rear right has a flap and closure. Rear left is a traditional patch style bluejeans type pocket. Front left & right slash pockets that are deep enough to actually hold things. Front right also has a "spare change" pocket inside the slash pocket. On the left leg is a cell phone pocket that will hold any normal size cellphone but not sure it will accommodate the + size phones.

KLIM Outriders come with included Hip Armor, CE Level 1. The armor sits in small mesh pockets and is unobrtrusive. CE Level 1 Armor sits over the knees, it is adjustable from outside the pants and velcro holds the armor exactly where you want it to sit. The front of the pants have a long channel that goes from just above the ankle to mid-thigh and the knee armor can be secured at most any point in that channel.

From the appearance standpoint the pants look very much like heavy duty khaki work pants. There is definitely a utility look to them. The legs are cut in a "relaxed" fit cut so they are not flattering. The double layer on the front of the pants look similar to a pair of upland style hunting pants. The material is a Cordura fabric for wear residence but its got a fairly soft feel to it and the pants don't "swish" when you walk. This is really a pretty good pair of moto pants for 'blending in' to crowds as they don't look like armored moto pants. The knee armor can be removed in about 30 seconds and replaced just about as fast, so if you ride to a festival or fair and plan to spend the day walking around you can do so without the armor, just pull it out when you arrive and stow it with your helmet. Reinstall when you depart. No real hassle.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Interestingly enough, my cheap Street&Steel Kevlar lined/armored jeans look like they held up to my accident to the point I could probably wear them still if not for the EMT shears.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    After 2k+ miles, my Darkside experiment is over. Never did get better on the highway. It finally feels “right” and balanced again.

95D9jA2_d.jpg

Ironic you would post this, as I just got back from riding a bunch of twisties east ans southeast of Corbin, Ky. One of the guys on the trip was on a wing with car tire and pulled a trailer even on Saturday while on the twistiest of roads and he says the handling is never an issue.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It also soaks up gas apparently lol

Well there are pros and cons to Kevlar (and all the other fabrics). But I suspect that all of them soak up gas.

Biggest downsides to Kevlar are that it degrades in the sun, so it is best used as a liner, which means the pants have to be dual layer. It's also not as comfortable as some other fabrics. If Kevlar is woven into the pants fabric it tends to degrade in the sunshine as it degrades in UV light exposure but still is viable for a few seasons of riding.

But then when you compare Kevlar to fabrics like Cordura, Cordura needs to be thick to be wear resistant, but it can be made comfortable. It doesn't need to be a dual layer fabric. Typically thicker Cordura is used on wear areas and thinner Cordura on non-wear areas. There are also Cordura-clone materials that are utilized the same way. Cordura is a brand name, the clone materials are utilized by companies like FirstGear, seem to be as good as the brand name stuff.

There is a product called Covex, its similar to Kevlar, also typically used as a liner material, so used in dual layer pants. I have a pair of Bull-it moto pants with Covex. The Covex is fine, the pants are OK, but not great, that is not an issue with the Covex it is an issue with the pants.

Top Bottom