• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Took the Ninja to the curves today. 73* sunny and windy. 104 miles on Hiway 62/66. The bike is a joy in any situation. Played with the ABS a little and it gives plenty of feedback to be useful. Gives confidence while trail-braking.

Quick stop at Buzzards Roost

20220305_135631.jpg
    20220305_135657.jpg

Derby Cliffs

20220305_131025.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Without doing any reading on the mentioned site, how much differerence does sliding your butt back on the seat make? Wouldn't that naturally lean you forward, as the bike seems to be designed for?

Or maybe that isn't recommended?

It can relieve soreness with some stretching on long days. Two fulcrums though - more bent at knees or more bent at waist?

JCSR - Jealous. Gorgeous day. I'm stuck in Lucas Oil with the Combine, dreaming of the nice weather and riding.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It has begun: summer of 2022. :rockwoot:
    Time to get out the MC of my old age since I can't get my arthritis impedes me from getting my leg over a normal bike! :wallbash:
    Wednesday the Yamaha Majesty 400cc Scooter started right up.
    Went for a 20 mile nice lazy cruise at 60*.
    The next day, I looked at my Weather app wrong & thought it was 55*
    but
    I noticed my thermometer said 39* after I was on the road. :ugh:
    After 3 miles I found myself back in the warmth of my garage, haha!

If I would have had my full-face helmet, I'd been fine, but my ears couldn't take it.
    I had a scarf on but it wasn't enough.

Today, a contractor friend came over early pm after stopping to put a bid on some work nearby on his bike & he came over & we rode a little & ended up at Menards b/c he needed a few pieces to finish up a job Monday.
    Another 20 miles at 75-77*.

Uninspiring, but it lets me get back on a bike in retirement after not having one for over a decade.
    Previously, my last two MCs were a 2005(?) Yamaha Majesty & a Honda Helix 250cc., after having 20 normal MCs from 20 yrs. old on.
    front left side.pngleft side.png

My friend's Yamaha 1100 cc V-Star that he picked up for less than $2000 in someone's garage from a house he was remodeling.
    He didn't need it, but for the money, he had to do it.
    It's like a scooter to him b/c he always had fast bikes.
    He sold his last bike 4-5 years ago when he bought his dream 'Vette:
    2014 with Supercharger (650 hp).
    Somehow, he didn't have time to ride the MC anymore, haha!
    Now, that was a fun car to drive making my Honda S2000 seem like a scooter, haha!

I forget the name of this style of being stripped down with half fenders & very a low profile.
    He already has put mirrors back on & decent foot pegs & wants turn signals.
    Seat is so low, I'll be able to get my leg over to get on the seat.
    Can't wait to ride it.
    I could buy it when he's done with it.
    I hope he paints it b/c I hate that flat black that looks like primer paint. :nono:
    left side.JPG

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The stripped down m/c look is called a bobber. Some look okay and some look like something you'd see in a yard sale.

Not to stray too far away from the new m/c from doddg, my new ergo seat and lowering kit arrived via UPS today. Click 1 secret part, remove 2 screws and pop it right in. I'll need an engine hoist or overhead gantry to put the lowering kit in. I'll keep you in the loop if I can remember to take pics.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I ordered a 58 liter top trunk for my Africa Twin yesterday. Now I won’t have to take the car when running out to get dinner for the family. You wanted those eggs scrambled, right?

It is the top box from this OEM Honda luggage set. I’m going to get all three pieces eventually:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I ordered a 58 liter top trunk for my Africa Twin yesterday. Now I won’t have to take the car when running out to get dinner for the family. You wanted those eggs scrambled, right?
    I would always have a milk carton strapped on the backseat or on the back fender that I could throw things into, ha ha!
    That Honda helix scooter held
    3 gallons of paint in the trunk:
    It was so handy.
    One of the benefits of scooters is lifting up the seat
    &
    having all kinds of storage.
    I've gone to Sams Club
    taken things out of my cart
    &
    getting all to fit under the seat with a box between my legs on the bump on the floor and
    I've seen people watch me
    b/c
    they didn't believe I'd be able to get it all onboard, ha ha!
    Or as Zachcz says when chiding me about my scooter:
    on my moped!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It may be a lead-acid battery, I just know it’s a Yuasa and they are top notch. If and when I replace it I will look at lithium ion and gel batteries. I have not put a battery tender on it yet but I will soon, next time I get out there.
    I was incorrect here. Seems the bike already comes with a lithium ion battery. This is from Honda Powersports News when the model was introduced:

“A lightweight, compact ELIIY Power lithium-ion battery helps minimize weight and centralize mass. This battery has minimal self-discharge, and Honda tests showed it to offer greater longevity than a comparable lead-acid unit, both in terms of life and the ability to retain a charge.”

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I was incorrect here. Seems the bike already comes with a lithium ion battery. This is from Honda Powersports News when the model was introduced:

“A lightweight, compact ELIIY Power lithium-ion battery helps minimize weight and centralize mass. This battery has minimal self-discharge, and Honda tests showed it to offer greater longevity than a comparable lead-acid unit, both in terms of life and the ability to retain a charge.”
    That's a good upgrade from the conventional battery for sure. I'm glad Honda saw fit to go with the lithium-ion from the factory. I go with the lithium-ion as soon as the OEM battery croaks. Keep in mind they need a specific charger to operate correctly. I when with the

CTEK (56-926) LITHIUM US 12 Volt Fully Automatic LiFePO4 Battery Charger​

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's a good upgrade from the conventional battery for sure. I'm glad Honda saw fit to go with the lithium-ion from the factory. I go with the lithium-ion as soon as the OEM battery croaks. Keep in mind they need a specific charger to operate correctly. I when with the

CTEK (56-926) LITHIUM US 12 Volt Fully Automatic LiFePO4 Battery Charger​

Yeah, tell me about it! As soon as I made that post I did some research and realized I had better get the Battery Tender Junior off that thing ASAP. It’s been pumping 750 mAh into that battery for about a month now. Oops. The battery wasn’t hot to the touch but I wonder if I fried it? Time to do some more research and see if there’s protection circuitry build in. I’ll find out later tonight after my kids hockey game.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love combining a necessary errand with a ride, helps justify the MC to the wife, haha! :thumbsup:
    Took a :20 ride after church to CNH at the Bodyzone to work out.
    If it would have been summer, I would have taken the loooong way home, as is my custom, haha!

It was 57* & I had a light/medium jacket on with a 3/4 helmet.
    A tad cool overall & downright chilly around the ears/neck.
    I thought about proving I was a man & keep going withstanding the bit of chill. :dunno:
    But, I barely have enough testosterone left in my blood to qualify for manhood anyway.
    I went back home after a mile
    &
    got my heavy leather old-style MC jacket, full-face helmet & some light gloves.
    Perfect. :rockwoot:
    I think my man-card has already been revoked here on INGO anyway,:lmfao:
    so I justified staying warm.
    It did make for a much more relaxing trip. :)

4th trip this year!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

SW Motech Trax boxes have tie downs built into the lids. I keep a couple of dedicated Rok Straps criss-crossed across the side box lids.

When the side box is full (or even not,) a lot of double paper bagged groceries have come home Rok Strapped to the side box lid.

Made quite a few hours long trips with a hard sided rifle case strapped to the Trax box lid also.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SW Motech Trax boxes have tie downs built into the lids. I keep a couple of dedicated Rok Straps criss-crossed across the side box lids.

When the side box is full (or even not,) a lot of double paper bagged groceries have come home Rok Strapped to the side box lid.

Made quite a few hours long trips with a hard sided rifle case strapped to the Trax box lid also.

In the summers I go to the range on the bike with a gun bag strapped to the passenger seat.
    This pic also shows a rifle in a soft case resting on the floorboard & my chest
    but
    you can't make it out well.
    I'm at the Shelbyville FOP gun range last summer with Zachcz.
    me & gun bag at range on Yamaha.jpggun bag in garage left side.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your not going to believe it!
    I was able to combine 2 hobbies today:
    - Motorcycles
    - guns
    A gun deal I'd been working for 3 days came through after I thought I'd lost out. :ingo:
    I just got back from an hour ride to go & pick it up! :rockwoot:
    It was with someone I'd bought from 2.5 yrs ago, which is always a treat to re-deal with a member.
    I have some members I've dealt with over & over again, sometimes buying, sometimes selling. :spend:

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Your not going to believe it!
    I was able to combine 2 hobbies today:
    - Motorcycles
    - guns
    A gun deal I'd been working for 3 days came through after I thought I'd lost out. :ingo:
    I just got back from an hour ride to go & pick it up! :rockwoot:
    It was with someone I'd bought from 2.5 yrs ago, which is always a treat to re-deal with a member.
    I have some members I've dealt with over & over again, sometimes buying, sometimes selling. :spend:
    It's sweet when you can combine two hobbies. I'll often try and find a new gun store, then take a ride for a visit.

Between motorcycles and guns, I still think I have time for one more hobby. I might just go straight to burning money so I don't accumulate any more stuff. I'm running out of space.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Got mine in pieces right now 2004 ST Springer. Last fall it developed a wobble between 35-45 MPH which indicates on a Springer you need new steering head bearings. Most people have to replace at 10,000-20,000 miles and I have over 50,000, always kept them well greased. Not rocket science but a real PITA getting the old races and bottom bearing out. The assembly should not bee too bad, well that is my hope. Jim.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

Biltwell (not the generally crappy Bilt brand) measure tail bag / panniers by # of 12 oz cans it will hold. Certainly gives a real world visual. Well made gear too.

Biltwell Luggage

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's sweet when you can combine two hobbies. I'll often try and find a new gun store, then take a ride for a visit.

Between motorcycles and guns, I still think I have time for one more hobby. I might just go straight to burning money so I don't accumulate any more stuff. I'm running out of space.
    In retirement, if you count going to the gym, I have 3, 4 if you count a couple of Bible studies I do every week, of which 1 of them I couldn't do until retirement. :ugh:
    Getting to the gym has always been a hobby in my life, but especially now that I'm older
    &
    it's really important since mowing the grass/trimming for :40 is the most exercise I get.
    When working, riding the MC interfered with gym time, but now retired, I have no excuse. :dunno:
    It's a decent :20 drive to get to the Bodyzone (CNH employee & heart patient gym), so that makes it more fun going when warm outside.

I have a left-over hobby from before my son starting to work in H.S. at Marsh of comic books & comic & basketball cards.
    I've sold most everything over the years, but I still need to sell the last dozen boxes of them,
    which is mostly Star Trek & Star Wars comics & memorabilia.
    Always said I would do it in retirement, but I don't have time, haha! :lmfao:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Getting a new (to me) bike deserves new gear !:rockwoot:
    My 12 year old Honda Racing Jacket was looking pretty ragged and at great risk of being called out by the motorcycle fashion police. Mixing brands Honda/Kawasaki should never be done and I was guilty for a couple of rides. So last night I ordered this....

Cortech Hyper-Tec Jacket
    SKU: 1810139

Color: Hi-Viz Yellow/Grey
    Size: LG

1646756852952.png

I'll let Brian tell you all about it.....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom