• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    OK so test is complete.

What I found is that the pump works. It also is not obnoxiously loud.

It has a little flashlight on one side of the pump, the light is OPPOSITE of the side where the hose comes out. So while the light is probably very useful, it cannot be used to illuminate the hose end while you try to connect it to your tire.

I compared the pump's gauge to a simple pencil gauge and also to a dial gauge. Both the dial and the pencil gauges were reading identically throughout the testing, so I don't know if they are accurate but they are consistent and match each other. I would note that both of those gauges match the electronic TPMS. The pump's gauge consistently reported a few pounds higher pressures than the TPMS or either the dial or pencil gauge starting at about 40#.

The gauge seems to be "optimistic" in its read out as the pressures goes up the accuracy seems to trail off. Let some air out, starting with 34# of pressure in the tire on the manual gauges, the pump also was reading 34#. As pressure builds it seems like the pump reads a few pounds higher than the manual gauges.

Ultimately I pumped the tire up to 45# of pressure (per the pump's gauge) which equalled roughly 40# of pressure on the TPMS. Realistically I bled off a bit of air removing the screw on connection. Bled off a bit more as I tested the air pressure on the manual gauges. Bled off a bit more as I reinstalled the TPMS.

For $36, including taxes & shipping, I'm very happy with the purchase.

There are more expensive pumps, maybe they work "better" and there are cheaper pumps, but this one is small, packs small with all its accessories, and it actually works. The whole thing, packed inside a zipper case, is about the size of 3 packs of cigarettes, small enough to stow on the bike for trips.tempImageKEQamJ.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought an older Slime model pump three years ago (along with the Stop and Go plug kit. :rolleyes:) They live on the bike and have covered a few thousand miles. I'm happy to say I haven't tested them beyond the initial purchase.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I bought an older Slime model pump three years ago (along with the Stop and Go plug kit. :rolleyes:) They live on the bike and have covered a few thousand miles. I'm happy to say I haven't tested them beyond the initial purchase.
    Honestly I hope to never test this either. I did pick up 2 nails in the same tire on Route 12 along the Lake Michigan coastline, but basically rode to the dealer on a slow leak and had both tires changed. They were the original OEM tires and needed changing anyway so it actually was 'good timing' when it happened. I had completed our 'Great Lakes Circle Route' (4000+ miles about a month earlier) and the tires were already had a 2 years worth of wear before than trip so they were worn down pretty well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Honestly I hope to never test this either. I did pick up 2 nails in the same tire on Route 12 along the Lake Michigan coastline, but basically rode to the dealer on a slow leak and had both tires changed. They were the original OEM tires and needed changing anyway so it actually was 'good timing' when it happened. I had completed our 'Great Lakes Circle Route' (4000+ miles about a month earlier) and the tires were already had a 2 years worth of wear before than trip so they were worn down pretty well.
    Did you realize that you had the nails right off the bat?

How bad did the dealership sting you for the tires and service?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Did you realize that you had the nails right off the bat?

How bad did the dealership sting you for the tires and service?
    Nope they were the thin finish nails from a nail gun, slow leak. Didn't really notice them until the pressure went down to about 25#

The family that runs Lake Cycle in Merrillville actually treats me well whenever I need anything. Never felt like I was gouged by them on price for anything. We discuss price up front, he comes in on budget. The owner runs the service department, he services a bike I bought there, and one I didn't and I always feel like he gives me priority when I need service. I've special ordered parts they don't carry and they have installed them. I've taken parts in that they have installed. I've gotten a couple sets of tires from them and also have major service there. I schedule it so I ride in, they fix while I wait, and I ride away. For most things I usually sit around for about 90 minutes.

There is a really good hot dog stand around the corner too.

ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC, the wife wanted to go for a ride today. Mapped one out to go to Notre Dame. She said it wasn't long enough. So I added 50 miles to the route and she approved it. For a happy life, find a wife who like to ride her own bike.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.42.39 AM.png

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Home. A great ride overall. But I am an idiot anyway and I know it. I forgot about the county fair and I routed us right along the fair grounds. So on a 91 degree day I finished our ride stuck in sunny stop & go traffic. Yup, I'm THAT idiot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nope they were the thin finish nails from a nail gun, slow leak. Didn't really notice them until the pressure went down to about 25#

The family that runs Lake Cycle in Merrillville actually treats me well whenever I need anything. Never felt like I was gouged by them on price for anything. We discuss price up front, he comes in on budget. The owner runs the service department, he services a bike I bought there, and one I didn't and I always feel like he gives me priority when I need service. I've special ordered parts they don't carry and they have installed them. I've taken parts in that they have installed. I've gotten a couple sets of tires from them and also have major service there. I schedule it so I ride in, they fix while I wait, and I ride away. For most things I usually sit around for about 90 minutes.

There is a really good hot dog stand around the corner too.

ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC, the wife wanted to go for a ride today. Mapped one out to go to Notre Dame. She said it wasn't long enough. So I added 50 miles to the route and she approved it. For a happy life, find a wife who like to ride her own bike.

View attachment 151793

It's way cool to see a map of your ride route!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It's way cool to see a map of your ride route!
    We did 242 miles today according to my Scenic navigator. Almost exactly what is on the planned map above. There were a couple minor detours we made.

I'm now keeping 2 maps of my rides. The plotted route is done on the Furkot website, it exports maps in about a half dozen different formats (like GPX and others). Lets you plan hotels, ferry boats, gas stops, etc. Great website once you get the hang of it.

I also now have route maps from SPOT, which is my new 2 way satellite communicator. It drops electronic breadcrumbs every 10 min. So not a true 'turn by turn' but it gives locations, with time stamps and lets me send the locations to my family so they can 'track' my progress. Optionally you can drop breadcrumbs at different time intervals and send messages when you are outside of cell signal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kinda maybe considering keeping the CB650 one more year and then trading up to the 1000
    Always kinda thought I needed to look toward a liter bike for my next one.

I was watching a video about the liter version of my Kaw. Factory spec is 35mpg. :xmad:

I'm pretty content with the 650...

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    CB1000 is 40 vs 48 for the 650 but I have to check the display, my average is probably above that. Still better than my Tacoma with 20ish lol

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I was watching a video about the liter version of my Kaw. Factory spec is 35mpg. :xmad:
    CB1000 is 40 vs 48 for the 650 but I have to check the display, my average is probably above that. Still better than my Tacoma with 20ish lol
    My 750 gets about 65mpg.

Engine on my bike is literally 1/2 of a Honda Fit car engine and was specifically designed for economy. Got better economy before I added the side and top cases and the touring windshield. Mine is not tuned/geared for winning races or popping wheelies. So I'm not going to drag race anyone, expect maybe that little old lady in Pasadena?
    But I get around :cheers:

For comparison, my long bed quad cab Frontier might get 20mpg going down a steep hill if there was wind at its back and someone was pushing it.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I know there no where near a modern street bike but..Any two stroke street bike fans here? Always loved the fun of tooling around with one and riding one. I have owned several of the Kawasaki triples and regretted selling them 250cc-750cc s1-s3 kh400 and the h2 is what I’ve had
    Yamaha rd 125-350&400. Couple of the Suzuki gt380 and a water Buffalo.
    Just got a 1975 rd350 to restore. Anyone else’s a fan? Thanks

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The big brown truck delivered this Shoei RF-1400 on Thursday. I recently decided to upgrade my safety gear and get back into a full face helmet. I had a RF-800 back in '98-'99 and liked it a lot right up until I put a windshield on my Honda Shadow cruiser. The helmet buffeting was unbearable and I eventually found relief in a 3/4 open face which has been my helmet of choice since then. Fast forward to about 2018 when I put a Clearview Shields 8" recurve windshield with adjustable vent on my batwing fairing. That shield has cleaned up the air pocket behind the fairing very nicely. I figured it was time to try a full face again.

I took it for a 75 mile run this morning and was really pleased with it. I had the vents open and even behind the fairing, I got plenty of fresh air moving across my face. It tended to fog a little in the early morning humidity while at stoplights but cracking open the shield resolved that. Most importantly, the turbulence and buffeting was minimal or non-existent depending on whether I had a headwind or tailwind. I ran I-65 for about 10 miles at 75 mph and it was very pleasant behind the fairing.

I will probably have a few questions for you guys down the road regarding how to manage fogging in rainy and colder weather since I don't have much experience with that.

C146DD46-E3FD-4AA0-8368-B4111B57B7E0_1_105_c.jpeg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Your face shield is equipped to accept a pin lock lens. Not sure if Shoei includes that with their helmets but adding a pin lock lens to your face shield will eliminate most/all fogging
    Upon further inspection, it was included in the box with a couple of other accessories I need to look at. Thanks for pointing that out.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I know there no where near a modern street bike but..Any two stroke street bike fans here? Always loved the fun of tooling around with one and riding one. I have owned several of the Kawasaki triples and regretted selling them 250cc-750cc s1-s3 kh400 and the h2 is what I’ve had
    Yamaha rd 125-350&400. Couple of the Suzuki gt380 and a water Buffalo.
    Just got a 1975 rd350 to restore. Anyone else’s a fan? Thanks
    Had a RD400, bought it new and had it for about 15 years. I really regret selling it. That was my favorite bike of the many I've owned over the last 50 years!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    About 1pm today my wife & I were driving (car) northbound on I-394 (rural transition to south suburbs of Chicago, Illinois). About 30 cars in front of us was a multi-vehicle crash, motorcycle involved. We were far enough back that we were able to exit the highway as cars were backing up. As we got onto the exit ramp we noticed the bike on the side of the road, front wheel in the air, but bike laying on the ground. At least 2 cars looked like they were totaled. People were stopped and starting to provide aid to the injured.

No clue what happened. No clue how bad things turned out.

That stretch of road, and then farther north on 94 going into Chicago are some places I would never ride a motorcycle. So many crazy drivers, both 2 and 4 wheel crazies. I was doing 65 in a 55 zone farther up the road and got passed by 3 crotch rockets doing probably 100mph as they wove through the traffic. A few miles farther up we hit stopped traffic, hope it wasn't one of those guys. We got to our exit just as the backed up traffic came to a halt so I never got far enough to see if the cause of that stoppage was moto related.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It seems like IL-394 has more than its fair share of fatalities. I will ride it on weekend mornings from Sauk Trail south to make a quick escape into rural Illinois. Heading north, traffic gets heavy and way too fast by the time you reach US 30 and north of there approaching 80/94.

Top Bottom