• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    5 years ago I was the only one that was OC'ing at our church services. Last Sunday I would estimate there were at least 6 OC'ing and I know at least that many CC'ing!

God is great, Beer is good, and people are carrying!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Isn't it great? :yesway:

I have to say, it makes me feel good every time I see someone open carrying out in public. Well, most people. I've come across a few with holsters and belts that were obviously not good choices, but otherwise I love seeing open carriers out and about.

You mean a pancake OWB holster stuck in the pocket of your jeans, flopping out 45 deg, dragging that pant leg 6" lower than the other because you don't have a belt isn't proper gear?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You mean a pancake OWB holster stuck in the pocket of your jeans, flopping out 45 deg, dragging that pant leg 6" lower than the other because you don't have a belt isn't proper gear?

Or the guy using a nylon one-size-fits-none style holster with a canvas belt holding a heavy full size 1911 which was flopping around dangerously, like the guy I saw in Kroger last year who gave me a dirty look for some reason when I noticed he was carrying. At the time I was carrying an SR1911 in a Galco Combat Master on my Daltech Force Biobelt, properly. He must have thought I was making him look bad... :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with BW.. Weak gear choices scream no training and that makes me nervous. Also represents themselves and IMHO, anyone carrying very poorly. Just my two cents and I'm famous for being a dinosaur.

It's encouraging to see someone OCing when they set a good example doing so. It's just that so many don't. :(

Another huge issue is the lack of situational awareness a lot of OCers seem to have. 500 to a 1000 dollars of death dealer open on their belt and complete nonchalance as to who is standing within arms length reach.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I've been noticing a general increase in OC over the last year or two. I saw a couple of different guys OC'ing over the weekend on the outskirts of Bloomington - just normal Joe 6-pack guys a bit younger than me. Girlfriend is from northern Illinois and was with me and mentioned it to me afterwards (as she always does) and I just responded "Yep, things are different down here." The commonness of it and the fact that it doesn't cause anyone any trouble is having a positive influence on her thinking. She is luke-warm pro-gun (as most gun owners seemingly are in the beginning) so seeing so much OC is gradually but steadily moving her thinking toward a stronger pro-gun position.

In a similar way, during the same trip over the weekend, we were in a small town where we filled my truck with gas, THEN went inside and paid for it with cash (cash gets a discount). She was interested that you can fill and then pay with no hassle whatsoever and that people generally do the right thing.

Then she saw the news about Indiana being on track to set a record for # of carry permits issued in a single year and that Indiana has the highest rate of carry nationwide...put this all together and she (and hopefully others) will see how the armed polite society is supposed to work and why it is superior to the alternatives (Chicago being the antithesis of southern Indiana).

As Kirk says, politics is downstream of culture. I see OC and the like as a potentially positive factor in the general culture war that is going on nationwide - make advancements in the culture war and we will see advancements in the political arena.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Here in NWI I seldom see OC. I know there are members who live nearby that OC, but I don't cross their paths regularly. It is better than when I first began a few years ago, When I was accosted regularly. I haven't had anything noteworthy happen in years.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I must be one of the ones that everyone talks about concerning open carry. I usually open carry with an Outbags clip on nylon holster with my S&W 686. It's just so convenient to be able to clip it onto my belt and then remove it if I need to when I enter my vehicle. It fits my revolver very well and it has a retaining strap and covers the trigger. I must be a redneck. :)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK, its your right, with a LTCH. But your opening yourself to a take over, theft, robbery, assault, and or public outcry.

Discreet carry is best, but always carry.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Studies have shown that criminals prefer easy targets. The same studies show that criminals view citizens who open carry as anything but easy targets and that they prefer to move on to another target. That's where the issue of deterrence comes into play. Yes, there will always be a small chance that some criminal will be high enough, or ballsy enough to try to take a gun away from an open carrier, but typically that's going to be when they see that the open carrier is not practicing proper situational awareness. So, there's a chance someone might try to take your gun, but research I've read shows this to be a pretty small chance. Basically if you OC, keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to your surroundings.

Conversely, if you CC, you lose that element of deterrence. Sure, you might have the "element of surprise", where you *may* get the drop on the criminal, but I'd rather not be in that situation to begin with. I would imagine you have a much greater chance of being accosted by a criminal if you CC than if you chose to OC. That's how I interpret research and articles that I've read on the internet, in books, newspapers and magazines. I could be wrong, but that's just MHO.

I'm also in the camp of JFC. I prefer to OC, but CC at times when I need to. Do what you feel is best for your situation.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    OC has not become terribly wide-spread in Texas since passage. I have a couple friends who OC, but they're the only ones I have seen. Reports are few and far between on my favorite local board, TexasCHLforum.com.

However, one of the board members reported that he OC'd in Austin (state capitol), and he did so with great panache. He parked in front of the Texas State Capitol building, got on his hoverboard, and ...rode? scootered? hoverboarded? over to 6th Street to see the wild life.

He said the only one that gave him any static about OCing was some hippy who yelled at him, and that was only after he didn't buy a T-shirt that the hippy was selling.

So I hereby designate OC'ing while Hoverboarding as Austin Carry.
    texasflag.gif

Keep Austin Weird. (And far away from the rest of us.)

Top Bottom