• Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Holy Hell
    View attachment 134182
    I have no idea what advice to give my kids for the future anymore. Go into Politics or Canada?

If poverty is comfortable, it isn't really poverty anymore.

This is one of the things people absolutely do not understand in the United States.
    I'm not quite even middle class by official standards, yet I have everything I want and can get anything I want within reason.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I always find it funny how people who think that in a world where the US dollar, the world's reserve currency, is "toilet paper," that their little silver trinkets will be worth anything.
    I know, right? It's not like people have used precious metals as a store of wealth for thousands of years or anything.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I know, right? It's not like people have used precious metals as a store of wealth for thousands of years or anything.

How many times have you cashed it out for cash when the margins have favored you, then turned around and bought more when the prices dropped?

If you aren't playing the markets, you're not getting the benefit behind the purpose of investments.

The amount of people I see ask "where can I get money for my silver?" tells me it's a bad strategy. We're never going to have the sort of crash where you're breaking pieces off and buying things with it. It's just going to be another far more inconvenient to trade stock.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    How many times have you cashed it out for cash when the margins have favored you, then turned around and bought more when the prices dropped?

If you aren't playing the markets, you're not getting the benefit behind the purpose of investments.

The amount of people I see ask "where can I get money for my silver?" tells me it's a bad strategy. We're never going to have the sort of crash where you're breaking pieces off and buying things with it. It's just going to be another far less inconvenient to trade stock.
    Quite a few times, and purple was implied.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I always find it funny how people who think that in a world where the US dollar, the world's reserve currency, is "toilet paper," that their little silver trinkets will be worth anything.
    Well I'm not gonna get much selling my body, so...
    :spend:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

The amount of people I see ask "where can I get money for my silver?" tells me it's a bad strategy. We're never going to have the sort of crash where you're breaking pieces off and buying things with it. It's just going to be another far less inconvenient to trade stock.
    It won't be a loss. It's better than stuffing mattresses with cash. The market will always be their for precious metals, maybe not in the US but somewhere

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It won't be a loss. It's better than stuffing mattresses with cash. The market will always be their for precious metals, maybe not in the US but somewhere

Watching the value of silver go all over the place my entire life... I don't really agree with that. I'm up more than double on boeing within a year and it continues to grow. You aren't going to do that with a metal.

Since metals are in ultra high demand, you're now getting robbed for your lunch money. When things inevitably settle down and you sell it off because things are good again, you're going to be taking a huge loss. Because everyone and their cousin will be doing the same thing, driving the value into the gutter.

I guess if you're a veteran in the metal trade and you solidly know what you're doing, it's a different story. But that's far from the norm from what I'm seeing.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Watching the value of silver go all over the place my entire life... I don't really agree with that. I'm up more than double on boeing within a year and it continues to grow. You aren't going to do that with a metal.
    Your thinking in investment terms, I'm talking safeguard. Unless you buy really high, then it's usually worth what you paid. And if it's lower than what you paid it means the economy is doing good and you probably don't care anyways, assuming you didn't buy high.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You aren't going to do that with a metal.
    I'd have to disagree. Last spring/summer, dont remember which, I purchased a decent amount of silver for under $15 per ounce shipped to my door. I could double that now if I wanted to.

Go back years ago when I first started buying and I could over triple my money now

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Bought my first silver this week. Over the last few years I've really built up a decent cash savings emergency fund, now I'm seriously thinking about whether that money is going to be toilet paper in a year.

Of the great many opinions expressed here, the one thing I hope you take away is that leaving large amounts of cash, in cash, is an awful idea right now. Roll the dice on ammo, gold, bitcoin, stocks, land, whatever... Just not a savings account.

The amount of people I see ask "where can I get money for my silver?" tells me it's a bad strategy. We're never going to have the sort of crash where you're breaking pieces off and buying things with it. It's just going to be another far more inconvenient to trade stock.

I hold silver for what I suspect is a wildly different reason than many. It's a dense asset that is unaccounted for by anyone but me. Imagine the day some drug dealer's accounts are all seized, but his SSN is 1 digit off of yours and old fumble nubbin' McGee is on the keyboard. Oops, all of your accounts everywhere are now gone. You'll probably get them back eventually, maybe.

My personal goal is to have enough metals to pay a month of bills with no stress. A stretch goal would be enough to pay a month of bills and then enough to hit the road for greener pastures if I had to... so, basically 2 months of "cash". How many ounces is up to the market and my expenses to decide. I don't hold metals as an investment. If I were to want to do that, it would be in a metals ETF.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Thanks for the correction, I was under the mistaken impression that our currency wasn't based on precious metals anymore, unlike the thousands of years prior.

So...how many doubloons for a loaf of bread in your new economy?

:):

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I just saw an article on the channel 59’s website that a fourth stimulus check may be waiting in the wings. The article went on to talk about how the last check lifted millions out of poverty and that a fourth check would lift another 7 million out of poverty especially if the payment went to everyone (I assume they were referring to non-citizens). It is kind of like reliving the 1960’s “war on poverty” all over again and the only thing missing is another pointless overseas war. Oh wait we already have two of those and big business is still making bank off of them just like in 1965-1973. Why worry about solving the real problems facing the average American like unaffordable healthcare and a lack of jobs that pay a living wage when you can play the role of “Nero” and offer the masses bread and circus. The more you hand feed people bread the more dependent they become on that bread and the more secure your grip on power becomes, just look at Venezuela.

It's easy to be generous with other people's money. Particularly when those people are not even born yet.

These politicians are pure evil mother ****ers.

Top Bottom