Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hope you guys don't mind.

Another "Not My Story".
    I really didn't know the Angels flew more than just the Hornet.
    Well, I knew it changes over time.
    But I just thought they flew the one craft.
    Forgive me, my expertise was not exactly on the aircraft. Though I've loved the airshows I've attended.

But this, history and today, together.
    It's awesome.

Blue Angels Return to Their Roots: F8F Bearcat All Things Aero

5,173 Like this video?
    66 Don't like this video?

Published on Mar 27, 2015
    In 2009, the Horsemen Flight Team traded in their typical steeds of P-51 Mustangs for the round engines of the F8F Bearcat to honor the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.

The pilots, Jim Beasley, Ed Shipley and Dan Friedkin met with the last surviving Blue Angel Al Taddeo before they joined up with the current Blue Angel Solos at the NAS Corpus Christi air show. It was a historic moment for everyone...then and now.

Enjoy and share this masterfully crafted story by Ed Shipley and AirShowBuzz.

[video=youtube;Hy3nsRvhgSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3nsRvhgSE[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Discovery Channel 4 part series.
    I'll just post this one, part one

[video=youtube;_YAEitUAAZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAEitUAAZs[/video]

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Another "Not My Story".
    Forgive me, my expertise was not exactly on the aircraft. Though I've loved the airshows I've attended.

It's awesome.

Blue Angels Return to Their Roots: F8F Bearcat All Things Aero

5,173 Like this video?
    66 Don't like this video?

In 2009, the Horsemen Flight Team traded in their typical steeds of P-51 Mustangs for the round engines of the F8F Bearcat to honor the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.

The pilots, Jim Beasley, Ed Shipley and Dan Friedkin met with the last surviving Blue Angel Al Taddeo before they joined up with the current Blue Angel Solos at the NAS Corpus Christi air show. It was a historic moment for everyone...then and now.

[video=youtube;Hy3nsRvhgSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3nsRvhgSE[/video]

Thanks for posting that, Act. That was great.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Discovery Channel 4 part series.
    I'll just post this one, part one

I just finished that series and it was pretty cool! The chapters are not episodic, so you don't have to watch them all or in order. I'd say if I had to pick a favorite of the group, it would have been episode 3 and then probably 4.

Episode 3 is pretty amazing. They even interviewed some old U Boat captains. It was weird hearing them talk about the war. We just don't hear that perspective very often.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was watching this video "Cool Change", and it reminded me of being on the sub, on the surface, with a dolphin pod racing us, jumping over our bow.
    I got some good pictures.
    But something happened to the film, and they all show scratches.
    Still good shots.
    I need to digitize them one day.

[video=youtube;9bKwRW0l-Qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKwRW0l-Qk[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    45cmue.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Just catching up on this thread...

I'm old enough to remember when the Blue Angels (and the Thunderbirds) flew the F-4. And then the A-4 (BAs) and T-38 (TBs). And finally then the original F-18, then the F-18E (which is really a new and different airplane from the earlier F-18s). The TBs went to the F-16A when it first came into service, then to the F-16C which they still fly.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Another "Not My Story".

It's awesome.

Blue Angels Return to Their Roots: F8F Bearcat

Thanks a lot

After seeing this post, I remembered going to the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo 7 years ago with the fam and having my kids line up for a pic in front of a prop driven “Blue Angels” airplane. I went back to find the pic to see if it was an F8F.

Imagine my shock and disappointment to learn that it was a T-28 Trojan painted up to look like a Blue Angels airplane and that the Blue Angels never used the T-28!

Sad....just sad. The kids are 22, 20, 16 and 15 now and I fear that if I tell them, they will never trust anything or anyone again.

8A231884-8D81-423D-AE60-03B0B5BD8B03.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just catching up on this thread...

I'm old enough to remember when the Blue Angels (and the Thunderbirds) flew the F-4. And then the A-4 (BAs) and T-38 (TBs). And finally then the original F-18, then the F-18E (which is really a new and different airplane from the earlier F-18s). The TBs went to the F-16A when it first came into service, then to the F-16C which they still fly.

I knew they used to fly other planes.
    But, I thought they only flew the one type, and when they switched, they only flew that one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Imagine how the submariners feel.

When making government steel, a guy from the government follows the order.
    To make sure substandard stuff isn't substituted.
    If you had that job, would you know what to look for.
    They just send some schmuck, who doesn't know what's going on.

The process is flawed, as is usual.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Thanks a lot

After seeing this post, I remembered going to the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo 7 years ago with the fam and having my kids line up for a pic in front of a prop driven “Blue Angels” airplane. I went back to find the pic to see if it was an F8F.

Imagine my shock and disappointment to learn that it was a T-28 Trojan painted up to look like a Blue Angels airplane and that the Blue Angels never used the T-28!

Sad....just sad. The kids are 22, 20, 16 and 15 now and I fear that if I tell them, they will never trust anything or anyone again.

View attachment 87956

You should probably do them a favor and tell them. :)

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Since we are talking about demonstration teams, I know the Army has the Golden Knights and the SEALs have a jump team as well, any other teams? I only know about the SEAL jump team because I'd read about them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A question for all of you swabbies.

Bubbleheads have to under go extensive cross training to earn their Dolphins.

What do you guys up top have to do to get your Surface Warfare Badge.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_warfare_insignia#Requirements_as_of_August_2010
    1. Be a petty officer
    2. Have 24 months on a surface ship
    3. Have a performance mark and leadership marks of top 30% for CPO's and 3.4 for petty officers.
    4. Complete the PQS for damage control, damage control petty officer, repair party leader, and work center supervisor.
    5. Qualify in all watch stations for rating and pay grade.
    6. Perform an oral board held by the commanding officer, executive officer or lieutenant commander.
    7. Be recommended by the chain of command, and approved by the commanding officer.

Since I wasn't surface, this is all I have to go by.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All I had to do was fly in rickety old AF planes a few times and jump out before they fell apart or crashed.

Top Bottom