• ...and so much more!
  • fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Got up early this morning to down to Martinsville to join the club. What a disappointment! Got there at 7:45 and the line of cars had to be a mile long. The info on their website is a joke. "Prospective new member openings for the year 2013 are subject to our existing member renewal rate. The number of new openings available will not be known until Dec. 31, 2012. New member application will occur at our Clubhouse facility starting at 9 AM New Year's Day. Same procedure was used last January and a total of 41 openings were filled within 2 hours of our New Year's day start time."
    To me, it sounds like last year if you got there at 9 you would be ok, since it took 2 hours to fill 41 slots. This year they had only 22 slots, so you could assume that it would take one hour to fill the slots; therefore, getting there 1 hour 15 minutes early would be good. Why don't they just put on their website that you have to show up by 6 am in order to be safe. I hope the sheriff deputy who got turned away and passed me on 37 doing at least 80, didn't get into any trouble. Oh well, guess I just stick to Atterbury to shoot.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I got there at 8am thinking that I would be fine:rolleyes:. I might try sycamore gun club. I have been there a few times as a guest and it seems pretty nice. The only problem I have with it are the dues. $300 seems like a lot compared to the other ranges and its not exactly close.

Often wondered what is involved in opening a range. I wouldn't think it would be complicated but I am sure I am wrong.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    I feel for you. Unfortunately capping the membership count is one of the things that make it a good place to go. There are several other private ranges around you can try. I know there is one near Trafalgar, but I'm not sure how you gain membership. I'm sure you could find other places by asking on here.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    6am was not safe. I was there just after 6:00 and I was about #40. I talked to whoever it was that was going down the line informing everyone they are full. They had the most ever renewals leaving only 22 openings. No reason to be mad at them, only reinforces what they have there. Am I bummed I missed out this year, sure, but I would have been really bummed if I was #23. From what I was old the first couple cars were there just after midnight. In a way it reminded me of camping out for concert tickets. ;)

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Try ProTEQ in Brazil

I don't know where everybody is located but ProTEQ just north of Brazil only costs $20/year. LE, MIL and students pay even less. Oh, and there is no New Year's Day line.

C ya,

brian

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ive quit trying to join the club after a few years of that bs. They really should change thier membership policy.

Ive got my own place to shoot and I dont have to pay for anything but ammo.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I dove down and was there around 7. I'm not mad about the membership numbers, it is what it is.

I do find this interesting "Those who successfully made the cut had waited from 8:45 pm the nite before til about 5 AM" . I guess I don't believe someone waited from 8:45 the night before. I'm guessing it was more like someone dropped off their car at 8:45 the night before. I could be wrong... if someone really did camp over night, they deserve to get in.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Sour Grapes

Got up early this morning to down to Martinsville to join the club. What a disappointment! Got there at 7:45 and the line of cars had to be a mile long. The info on their website is a joke. "Prospective new member openings for the year 2013 are subject to our existing member renewal rate. The number of new openings available will not be known until Dec. 31, 2012. New member application will occur at our Clubhouse facility starting at 9 AM New Year's Day. Same procedure was used last January and a total of 41 openings were filled within 2 hours of our New Year's day start time."
    To me, it sounds like last year if you got there at 9 you would be ok, since it took 2 hours to fill 41 slots. This year they had only 22 slots, so you could assume that it would take one hour to fill the slots; therefore, getting there 1 hour 15 minutes early would be good. Why don't they just put on their website that you have to show up by 6 am in order to be safe. I hope the sheriff deputy who got turned away and passed me on 37 doing at least 80, didn't get into any trouble. Oh well, guess I just stick to Atterbury to shoot.

Maybe you should stomp your feet & hold your breath until you pass out. I think sticking to Atterbury is an excellent idea for you.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I dove down and was there around 7. I'm not mad about the membership numbers, it is what it is.

I do find this interesting "Those who successfully made the cut had waited from 8:45 pm the nite before til about 5 AM" . I guess I don't believe someone waited from 8:45 the night before. I'm guessing it was more like someone dropped off their car at 8:45 the night before. I could be wrong... if someone really did camp over night, they deserve to get in.

We got there a little after 3:00am & there were 5 cars in front of us.
    Some got out & walked around every once in a while, looked like 1 cooked breakfast or made coffee, the cars all did appear occupied.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    For the last few years this club has done this new membership thing the exact same way. And for the last few years there are always people coming to INGO to express major butthurt over NOT being selected for membership in the new year. I have no ties to the club but apparently they must be doing something right if they have a managed membership that are willing to abide by the rules of the club. When I saw the posts from people saying they got there a WHOLE HOUR early and then were hurt because all those other people had the audacity to get there before them...I had to giggle.

The club can add new members any way they want. If it was my club I wouldn't put people through all this, I'd probably start my new year on June 1st, and any membership not paid in full for the next year by May 15th would be up for grabs. I would tell applicants to send in a application postmarked between May 15 and May 25, dump them in a big box and have someone pull out the number of applicants we need plus 10% for those that can't pay. Notify the new members, give them one week to pay in full, and go from there. Any leftover runners up in that 10% pile would be given first shot at next year.

But that's just me. Feel free to run your club anyway you want.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    It used to be that you had to know someone to get in. The popularity of the place with the addition of a new range is very telling. I'm glad I signed up when I did.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Sour Grapes

Maybe you should stomp your feet & hold your breath until you pass out. I think sticking to Atterbury is an excellent idea for you.

I'm sorry if me being disappointed is sour grapes to you. I was just trying to state the facts as they were and hopefully see a change in the future as to how new members can get in. A buddy of mine who joined 5 or so years ago said all he had to do was send them a letter dated after the 1st of the year. I tried last year to find out what the procedure was and didn't get a good answer until it was too late. Based on the replies, it seems I wasn't the only one "disappointed."

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I can't stand it when someone blames a process, or others, when their goals aren't reached. I didn't make it either, but not because of anything the Club did, or it's process. I didn't make it because I didn't get there in time. You have to love it when those who didn't win adopt the "oh well, I didn't want it anyway. It sucks!" response. Martinsville Conservation Club, you must be doing something right...I saw lots of grown men braving icy roads & freezing temps to sit in a long line of vehicles hoping to be apart of the group...Justin Bieber ain't got nothin' on you! Lol, see ya next Jan 1, only this time, much, much earlier!

Last edited:

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I know the guy who was there at 8:30. He was texting me all eve until I got there to pick up spot number 4 at 1:30ish. And yes I made bacon, eggs, coffee and toast(mostly burnt toast). I had plenty but didn't get any takers except the four people in line that I knew would be there. I have two pounds of bacon left, and a whole carton and a half of Eggs. Looks like French toast and bacon tonight!

Who knows I just might do this again next year!

It's a great club, the board is doing a fantastic job. I'm sure they didn't expect this kind of turn out. I'll bet they listen to positive ideas on how to make this fair. I sure can't think of any way they could do this and not upset someone. At least this way, it's 100% on the up and up. Any other system and someone would be suggesting that they were not fair, or cheated or yada yada. It's the best club in the area, and they are doing what they can to keep it that way.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm sorry if me being disappointed is sour grapes to you. I was just trying to state the facts as they were and hopefully see a change in the future as to how new members can get in. A buddy of mine who joined 5 or so years ago said all he had to do was send them a letter dated after the 1st of the year. I tried last year to find out what the procedure was and didn't get a good answer until it was too late. Based on the replies, it seems I wasn't the only one "disappointed."
    This happened to me last year, and I hoped to get in this year.

I woke up at 630, made the drive from Nashville, and was there right at 730. I only expected a handful of cars, but as I drove past and figured there were 50+ cars (with the possibility of some of them containing 2+ potential members) I did the math and decided it wasn't worth my time to wait until 9 just to be told there were only 3 open spots.

I cut my losses, went back to where I was staying, and crawled back into bed. I've been trying to get in for the last couple years, but it looks like I'll just find somewhere else to shoot and maybe try again next year.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville

Seems you want a process wherein you are guaranteed a win. I like the process. I believe it's the fairest way. I live 10 minutes from the Club and didn't get in, but guys from an hour+ away got picked because they sacrificed more than I did. I love it! That's how things should work, not some method that keeps everyone equal, but one that rewards effort & determination.

Top Bottom