• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When you signed up to rescue, apparently they skipped the part of your training which mentioned that you don't get to pick and choose whom you would prefer to help. If your career risks are not worth the reward or remuneration, there are probably a dozen other fields you're qualified to work in that don't require you to perform high-risk work for people you feel undeserving of the help your current job offers. No one in this world is forcing you to do what you're currently doing.

As for the specious claim that government has an obligation to its citizens, the Supreme Court has declared that law enforcement has no such obligation to any individual.

I'm not really sure how Somemedic's desire to pursue his career is irrelevant or incompatible with his getting pissed off at people who waste his time by putting themselves into dangerous situations out of ignorance, selfishness, or just plain idiocy.

Whether or not public safety and public service personnel have a "legal obligation" to protect the public, that is their calling and their job and it's the way they're utilized and the reason they're dispatched hither and yon, even in inclement weather. Beating up on such personnel who complain that their (limited) resources are being wasted on foolishness is too easy to do and also pretty much useless, as well as really taking out your ire on the wrong people.

The folks you should save your spleen for are the ones who put themselves into such situations, then cry to their elected officials that they weren't served well or properly or in a timely manner. Sure, most of us here on this particular forum can get around okay in bad weather or during a disaster (or at least have the sense to recognize our limitations and stay home) or have the resources to save ourselves if everything goes toes up. The ones you should take to task are the idiots who take no notice of their surroundings and then bleat about malfeasance when their own stupidity causes them inconvenience or physical harm.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I'm not really sure how Somemedic's desire to pursue his career is irrelevant or incompatible with his getting pissed off at people who waste his time by putting themselves into dangerous situations out of ignorance, selfishness, or just plain idiocy.

Whether or not public safety and public service personnel have a "legal obligation" to protect the public, that is their calling and their job and it's the way they're utilized and the reason they're dispatched hither and yon, even in inclement weather. Beating up on such personnel who complain that their (limited) resources are being wasted on foolishness is too easy to do and also pretty much useless, as well as really taking out your ire on the wrong people.

The folks you should save your spleen for are the ones who put themselves into such situations, then cry to their elected officials that they weren't served well or properly or in a timely manner. Sure, most of us here on this particular forum can get around okay in bad weather or during a disaster (or at least have the sense to recognize our limitations and stay home) or have the resources to save ourselves if everything goes toes up. The ones you should take to task are the idiots who take no notice of their surroundings and then bleat about malfeasance when their own stupidity causes them inconvenience or physical harm.

You're absolutely right - and they should be held responsible. And since there is no duty of government to protect or provide for the individual, then let them handle it on their own. Tired of pulling people out of ditches who are dumb enough to try to return their Redbox rentals in two feet of snow in a Ford Fiesta wearing flip-flops? Let them extricate themselves from the situation. House on fire? Should have appropriate means to put it out. Trapped in a car? How much does a seat-belt cutter with window-piercing attachment truly cost? Should have one.

But they don't, and they won't. Expecting people to have sense or act rationally - or even in their own respective best interests - is a wild goose chase. If people were even fractionally more prepared, maybe it wouldn't be so tiresome and frustrating for rescue personnel. But in order to be more prepared, they would have to be more intelligent, and that doesn't happen magically. Anyone expecting human nature to change spontaneously is asking for a world of frustration. I can understand that frustration, but I have little sympathy for it. The people who 'deserve' help the most generally don't need it, and it's the July-weather Redbox-ers one is left to try to haul out of the snow before frostbite sets in, and this is the way it will remain until human beings learn to act in their own respective self-interests. One can either accept this reality or find a more rewarding career. But to hope and pray that human beings will suddenly, magically improve is folly and a one-way ticket to frustration.

You're right, though, SomeMedic is not the problem. I apologize for even implying that. He's not the problem. July-weather Redbox-ers are the problem. I simply don't have a solution for him, aside from weighing the rewards and risks of the job.

Tomorrow I will wake up and read about someone else sliding into a ditch. SomeMedic - or someone like him - will be there to pull them out. I won't be.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    Thanks for the heads up...lol I was not thinking of Darwin when I said the fittest. I was thinking of an article I read about thinning out the herd by letting people be as dumb as they want to be... AND, this is NOT a comment on the OP.

Your high school science teacher would be sad that you misunderstood Darwin. Fittest = has the most offspring, therefore Dumb people = Fit. Educated people are not the ones cranking out the little ones at a rabbits pace. Ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

He has every right to be irritated at the stupid but this does not translate into license to control everyone not included among the 'special ones'.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    This makes sense. I see the reasoning behind the driving ban as so many are not capable/equipped or have any real reason to be out. We all knew this was coming, be ready for it.
    We pulled 4 nieghbors off the snowplow hump at the end of the driveways yesterday. To stupid to dig that out. They all said it was the city's responsibility....we just shrugged and left them go. 1 older lady did not make it around the block. She nosed into a drift. Zero snow skills. We pulled here out, got the car home and son drove her to the drugstore......she needed Pepsi's.......:dunno:

^^^This^^^ I stopped counting after passing dozens of driveways half cleared out and the end of those driveways plowed in and cars stuck at the end of those driveways! This is northern Indiana for *ods sake! Winter returns every year! Get a clue.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You could start by backing down the "I"? Think it might help
    But why? Outside of an external absolute moral code that demands the contrary, why in the world would anybody have to think of someone else before himself?

Actually, if I remember Darwin, it was not the "fittest" of the species, it was the most "adaptable".
    Crikey, folks. Fittest means a population with the greatest genetic variability such that the chances of continued reproductive success within that population are not diminished by changes in the environment.

Adaptable is not a trait organisms or populations have. It is a misnomer. Individual organisms don't actually change their genes in response to external stimuli. That's not how natural selection works.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But why? Outside of an external absolute moral code that demands the contrary, why in the world would anybody have to think of someone else before himself?

?...

I thought I was thinking of others.
    I just listed what i did, and not others, because i can only speak for what i did, or others that i witnessed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This makes sense. I see the reasoning behind the driving ban as so many are not capable/equipped or have any real reason to be out. We all knew this was coming, be ready for it.
    We pulled 4 nieghbors off the snowplow hump at the end of the driveways yesterday. To stupid to dig that out. They all said it was the city's responsibility....we just shrugged and left them go. 1 older lady did not make it around the block. She nosed into a drift. Zero snow skills. We pulled here out, got the car home and son drove her to the drugstore......she needed Pepsi's.......:dunno:

Pepsi????
    I have a standing offer to help people get important stuff; meds, kerosene, gas, etc. But Pepsi. I don't think so, not me anyway.

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    Some need to be protected from themselves. Case and point thread starter. Somebodys mad cause the county shut down so workers can clear the roads and emergency crews aren't being overwhelmed by idiots getting stuck or causing accidents. Seems logical to me. Stay home and read a book or better. Read Stupid thread about Marshall Law being invoked.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why do some people need to be protected from themselves?
    People have existed for tens of thousands of years, and now they're incapable?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some need to be protected from themselves. Case and point thread starter. Somebodys mad cause the county shut down so workers can clear the roads and emergency crews aren't being overwhelmed by idiots getting stuck or causing accidents. Seems logical to me. Stay home and read a book or better. Read Stupid thread about Marshall Law being invoked.

And some people stay at home, they get fired. Will you pay their mortgage?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

With no workers getting to the power plant, how long are you going to be able to read threads on the internet?

There are plenty of 24 hour a day 7 days a week jobs out there. At a certain point, those people don't get relieved, they start making mistakes. Mistakes costing thousands of dollars. Mistakes causing people to lose power, not have heat, etc.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Some people need protected from themselves...therefore guns, knives, matches, lighters, hammers, axes, ice picks, fast cars, tobacco, alcohol, unhealthy food, staying up late at night, caffeine, bathtubs which hold more than one inch of water, boats, swimming pools, climbing trees, and entertainment appealing to the prurient interest should all be strictly prohibited. We should also restrict everyone to essential travel only at any time such as to prevent the police from being overwhelmed with people while trying to locate and apprehend criminals. Makes sense, doesn't it? After all, it's for the greater good.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man trapped in Colorado floods sues rescuers for $500,000 - Washington Times

So ladies, I'm whining?

I dont think so. You aint seen what I've seen. I believe you have a preconceived notion of your 4 wheel drive stuck in a ditch, with plenty of room to go around you.

This isnt what was making my blood boil.

The grand marquis stuck in the middle of a Hammond neighborhood street while the house burns at the far end. Somehow the engineer of the truck has to magically make his truck leap over the GM and run a supply line and a couple of hand lines to the burning front door.

If it was just the dumb asses risking themselves that would be a seperate issue but when you fail to prepare and then abandon your vehicle in the street when it becomes unexplicablystuck in 3 feet of snow youre potentailly risking the entire neighborhood.

And as you can see even during a state of emergency with resources stretched first responders are still subject to litigation from ass hats who ignore warnings, road blocks and even rushing water. Those same turds are the first to lawyer up saying "Martial law? Weather? But how will I (pay mortgage, get to my workplace thats probably closed, get my library book back in time, other lame excuse inserted here)...

Glad you got the ticket. Pay the fine and learn a lesson

Top Bottom