• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    My lefty son has hit the ripe age of 14 and now knows everything and can't be told anything. :)

However, I'm looking for advice to him from other Lefty's. Do you shoot bolt actions that are Right Handed or Left Handed. Why?

A good friend of mine who is a lefty says he prefers Right hand bolt guns.

My son has used a right handed .243 that was handed down to him by a friend of the family the last two deer seasons, including to kill his first deer (pics below). But we are heading to Montana in May and Nov of 2024 and he needs a bigger gun (probably a 6.5CM) and I want to buy him a "keep for a lifetime" gun. So I need to decide if I buy a lefty or a righty.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpeg
      IMG_1578.jpeg
      945.8 KB · Views: 17
    • IMG_0009.jpeg
      IMG_0009.jpeg
      419.7 KB · Views: 17
    • 68998596365__4472A584-DA80-4428-8137-5DAE71763CDD.jpeg
      68998596365__4472A584-DA80-4428-8137-5DAE71763CDD.jpeg
      642 KB · Views: 17

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a lefty. I've shot right and left handed bolt guns. I bought a lefty Ruger M77 mkII in .270. I'm so glad I did.
    My wife bought me a lefty Remington 1187 years ago. Love it too.
    That being said, I'll not buy anymore left handed guns. No lefty heirs to give them to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lefty here. I've adapted to RH everything for 50 years.

The only time I've found a left hand rifle matters is a bolt action. The ability to smoothly cycle the bolt with the dominant hand for a quick follow up shot is easier than using the support hand. And even then, the juice isnt always worth the squeeze long term unless I can guarantee I'm never getting rid of that rifle. The odds of finding another lefty is relatively slim.

I've never worried about brass ejecting past my face.

So if its a bolt action, by all means go LH for him. Otherwise, meh.

I'm a lefty. I've shot right and left handed bolt guns. I bought a lefty Ruger M77 mkII in .270. I'm so glad I did.
    My wife bought me a lefty Remington 1187 years ago. Love it too.
    That being said, I'll not buy anymore left handed guns. No lefty heirs to give them to.

I'll take them. You can adopt me. LOL

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Lefties are really hard to find, and often cost a premium, so if he can shoot a righty well, stick with getting righties. Regarding AR platforms, get a molded brass catcher. There is one out that is two part, so it can be a catcher or a deflector, so that should help .

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Just got my first, and so far only lefty rifle this year, I’ve never had a problem shooting right hand AR’s left handed, mine ejects fine, so no need for brass catcher… find him a left bolt and go from there

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I can shoot an AR, 1022, etc, no issues. Bolt guns I like a lefty model. Bought the Ruger because at the time, there was no upcharge for it. Everyone else was 50.00 more.
    I bought a lefty shotgun after seeing how much flame actually came out of the ejection port when the action cycled. Too close! Pay attention to it in low light. You'll be impressed.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Lefty here... Like others have said, I only appreciate a left handed bolt gun. All others I've adapted to use right handed guns. That being said I've contemplated selling my lefty ruger gunsite scout in .308 if you're interested.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I got really excited when I heard CZ was bringing back a LH 457 Varmint. I have a LH American and a Lux. But I realized that from the bench or bipod, I do better with a RH action. I don't really hunt anymore but for the field I would probably go LH.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am a left eye dominate right handed person. I always shoot lefty but have very few LH rifles. It is no biggie, I say get him what he wants. He is the only one you have to please.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    My lefty son has hit the ripe age of 14 and now knows everything and can't be told anything. :)

However, I'm looking for advice to him from other Lefty's. Do you shoot bolt actions that are Right Handed or Left Handed. Why?

A good friend of mine who is a lefty says he prefers Right hand bolt guns.

My son has used a right handed .243 that was handed down to him by a friend of the family the last two deer seasons, including to kill his first deer (pics below). But we are heading to Montana in May and Nov of 2024 and he needs a bigger gun (probably a 6.5CM) and I want to buy him a "keep for a lifetime" gun. So I need to decide if I buy a lefty or a righty.

Thanks!
    Lefty shooter here. Used to buy all lefty or bottom eject guns. No longer make that mistake.
    Hand matters less than eye dominance. But if he is left eye dominant, then a right handed bolt gun is best from a bench/support, as you do not have to support the front of the gun. If he is shooting from standing, a left handed bolt gun is "better".

In a semi auto it only matters if it is a bullpup rifle. You don't want him to eat brass.

If it is a hunting rifle, in all honesty it does not matter as you really only usually get the 1 shot. My Ruger M77 .357 is right handed, never been able to get a 2nd shot off on a deer before it is gone if I miss. Same with my TC ultralight rifle in 6.5 Creedmore.

Best option is to have him build his own 6.5 Grendel AR15. Better than a 308. Flatter shooting, less weight.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I am a left eye dominate right handed person. I always shoot lefty but have very few LH rifles. It is no biggie, I say get him what he wants. He is the only one you have to please.

This is the crux. It’s generally recommended that to shoot a long gun by sighting with your dominate eye. So, it’s your vision, not your “handedness” that determines whether to shoot righty or lefty long guns.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    also a lefty and like indyblue shoot pistol, write and throw lefty, but bat, shoot shotguns and rifles right handed, tried shooting trap left handed and it was too awkward to get use to although I did better on stations 4 and 5 as a lefty.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Never had a left handed gun until i was almost 50. Even then, do i need it and does i make a difference in the field? No. If i'm buying a "lifetime" hunting rifle would i want a lefty? oh yeah. Would i like a lefty AR? Yes. Is i likely i will own one? No. Back to bolts, i'm so used to shooting left and doing the "hand swap" to cycle, i don't even think about it. It just doesn't matter. Would it be nice to have a semi auto 12g in lefty - definitely. Unlikely that will ever happen either... lol. I do have a lefty .270 that sits around and a lefty 870 that i use quite a bit, but that's it. Back to the point, if he shoots left, then buy left imo, but it is a luxery and he should know it.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Left hand shooter here too.
    Being left handed has always been about adapting to the right hand dominant world.
    I do not own any LH long guns due to high cost and the lack of potential buyers if you decided to sell or trade.
    Cycling a bolt though is about the only application, IMHO, where I could see value in buying a LH rifle.

Top Bottom