• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    We have a guest bedroom, we rarely have guests stay over. But my overflow, gun cases, some ammo cans etc reside in that closet along with our Christmas and Easter decorations.
    When I upgraded our entry door locks, I reused the one that used to be on our front door and put it on the closet door. My intent was to slow down a burglar should he/she be in our home. Sometimes if someone is on a time limit, it may be enough to slow them down where they won't want to mess with it.

We have recently been considering hiring someone to clean our house, an acquaintance of my wife's, I think in cases like this it is a good idea.
    I would do it, not just for the sitter, but just in general.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Friend, cleared background check.

If I have to run a background check on someone, he is no friend.

Anyone who I would trust to house sit for me already knows I have guns, and has their own guns.

Sorry, this is just weird to me. I'd rather leave the house sit empty and have a family member check it a couple of times while I'm gone. If I have to lock closets and hide things in the barn, I'd rather just not have that person in my house at all.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well then, put a simple lock on it. The sitter will most likely think that's where you have the love sling and then head to the fridge for a sammich.

Lot's of deadbolts and stuff scream, "there's valuables in here!" - not your intention. Besides, you've said the guns are in a safe. Best to quietly say, "please stay out of this room" with the use of a basic exterior door lock.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I run a deadbolt on a closet door. If someone wanted in, they'd just pop the hinge pins. I keep ammo and range gear inside. It keeps people honest is all. My safe keeps thieves out of the more important items.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I had kids in the house, the door to the room where I stored firearms, ammo and reloading supplies had an exterior lockset. It would not keep out a thief, but it did keep the kids and their friends from exploring and experimenting with the equipment.

I would hope a house sitter would not decide to bust things open with a crowbar.

Top Bottom