• ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have riding friends that want to know a great BBQ place near Indianapolis to stop and eat at. Because I eat BBQ with them in different States they think I know where the good stuff is. To be honest the reason I eat Q in those other States is because they know where the good Q is. I have avoided Indianapolis BBQ because of the practices I encountered when much younger. This has allowed me to be totally ignorant of what is locally availabe. I go to Velvet Smoke in Cincinnati, Ohio for burnt ends, Pig on Beal in Memphis, Tennessee for pulled pork sandwiches, and Jim's Smokin' Que in Suches, Georgia for a rack of ribs. I need help in narrowing the BBQ list down to 3 or 4 candidates to try out. My friend from Cincinnati has volunteered to ride up and do recon with me. Please, if you are a connoisseur of fine BBQ cuisine, I would appreciate your thoughts possitive and negative of local eateries. I need a local place that has a knock your socks off specialty.
    Thank you in advance, R.D.

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I have riding friends that want to know a great BBQ place near Indianapolis to stop and eat at. Because I eat BBQ with them in different States they think I know where the good stuff is. To be honest the reason I eat Q in those other States is because they know where the good Q is. I have avoided Indianapolis BBQ because of the practices I encountered when much younger. This has allowed me to be totally ignorant of what is locally availabe. I go to Velvet Smoke in Cincinnati, Ohio for burnt ends, Pig on Beal in Memphis, Tennessee for pulled pork sandwiches, and Jim's Smokin' Que in Suches, Georgia for a rack of ribs. I need help in narrowing the BBQ list down to 3 or 4 candidates to try out. My friend from Cincinnati has volunteered to ride up and do recon with me. Please, if you are a connoisseur of fine BBQ cuisine, I would appreciate your thoughts possitive and negative of local eateries. I need a local place that has a knock your socks off specialty.
    Thank you in advance, R.D.
    Squealers. 2 locations.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Another vote for Big Hoffa's they have some out of this world dishes. I do know they aren't open on Mondays but I'm pretty sure the other days are good. Try the El Segundo you won't be disappointed.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Squealers. 2 locations.
    Been lately? Mediocre chain BBQ at best anymore. If that’s your style, City Barbecue is far better.
    I was going to suggest Squealers as well, but I have not been lately. I always love their ribs and brisket. I also like Johnson’s BBQ in Bargersville.

Squealer's is pathetic, plain and simple.

I stopped going there eons ago, I'm still trying to figure out how they stay in business.
    When you order ribs ans the fat is still congealed and the meat is pink, you know it's not cooked, especially when you bury your finger to feel the bone temp and it's cold.

The reply I got was "all smoked meat looks pink". I replied back "Does the pink make it cold also?"

Happened 3 visits in a row, never been back since.

Johnson's Bargersville is good from what I have been told. But they don't serve St. Louis Ribs. Told me I could call ahead of time. No Thanks.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    It's been at least 2 years but we been to;

Pit Stop BBQ and Grill in Brownsburg
    We both liked it and at the time the price wasn't bad for the amount that you got.

City BBQ, forgot which location
    We both though it was ok at best, I believe it was more expensive here.

Like I said it's been a while so don't know if things changed since.
    Next time we are out that way we would def go back to Pit Stop and still give City BBQ another try.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    :+1:

You'll probably drive past it your first time. They are in a building at a park which doesn't make you think there is a "restaurant" there. Good food though.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    When in Indy I usually find time to go to Big Hoffa's Smokehouse in Westfield. Hits the spot.

that Smokin Barrel looks good, gonna have to try that. Much better location for me than Big Hoffas too.

Sorry...Big Hoffa's does not meet the qualifications of a BBQ joint.

If you don't serve rib tips you are automatically disqualified!!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry...Big Hoffa's does not meet the qualifications of a BBQ joint.

If you don't serve rib tips you are automatically disqualified!!!
    I know this may be blasphemy, but I never understood the appeal of rib tips. They've just been bone and gristle whenever I've had them (which admittedly has only been a couple of times because they were just nasty in my opinion). I'm guessing the same people that like rib tips probably like chicken gizzards.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I like Pit Stop, but now my go to place is Rusted Silo in Lizton. They had a fire back around Tgiving and are serving out of a food truck in the parking lot at their Lizton location.
    Pulled pork, brisket, and ribs are my favorite. The sides are absolute killer -- Ranch Beans, Cheesy Grits, Nanner Puddin -- are the best.
    I live 15 miles away and it's worth the trip every single time.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Another for smoking barrel. Sad i lived 1/4 mile from them for 2 years and never knew about them until we moved further away.

Brisket and their friday brisket tacos.... got to try them!

Top Bottom