• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I did it in 1971 in California during winter, 50 degrees, massive fog rolled in, I was in a hammock with a space blanket. It was an Xmas gift from my Dad to go with my survival gear. I was 8 and I wanted to do it. My Dad said go for it but use it as a reflector over you, not a tight wrap.

Did I listen? No. Of course he knew I wouldn't, great, long lasting lesson.
    Just curious did you last all night? If not how long?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just curious did you last all night? If not how long?
    I would have slept in the trash can before I gave up and came back in the house. I ran a rope above me and drapped the blanket over that like a tent and then grabbed my extra clothes which were left out there for me.....................by my Dad. My first survival campout, in Los Angeles.

I still have that tattered space blanket.

I carry quality space blankets which I have vac packed and casualty blankets with pieces of paracord and stretchy cord already attached to the grommets but for shelter.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only 3 things I have used a Space Blanket for.
    - Under all the bedding as a ground barrier.
    - I have used them as a liner for tarp shelters.
    - In Texas I found they work as cheap curtains...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The only 3 things I have used a Space Blanket for.
    - Under all the bedding as a ground barrier.
    - I have used them as a liner for tarp shelters.
    - In Texas I found they work as cheap curtains...

Cheap space blankets have a tendency to self destruct when carried in the pack too long. I can't remember the number of times I went to get one out and it was a bunch of little silver rectangles.

A lawn and leaf trash bag makes a MUCH better survival tool, and for a lightweight cheap and compact sleeping bag I have been very happy with my LaFuma bags. 40f rated, usually around $40-50 and pack the size of a football and weigh about a pound and a half. I have one in each of my vehicles and my BOBs.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Cheap space blankets have a tendency to self destruct when carried in the pack too long. I can't remember the number of times I went to get one out and it was a bunch of little silver rectangles.

A lawn and leaf trash bag makes a MUCH better survival tool, and for a lightweight cheap and compact sleeping bag I have been very happy with my LaFuma bags. 40f rated, usually around $40-50 and pack the size of a football and weigh about a pound and a half. I have one in each of my vehicles and my BOBs.
    That is why you have to vac pack them. Also, buy the best ones made, not the El cheapos. To me they are still use once and done. I also vac pack heavy mil trash bags. Fold many times, compress as you go, then compress under a heavy cast iron pot or dutch oven, then poke a small hole through all layers with a thin needle to bleed off more air, then vac pack it. I have some that are easily 10 years old, just waiting for the day I need them.

Casualty blankets, on the other hand, are hard use items. Often refered to as sportsmans blankets. I just prefer to buy mil surp ones. I keep one folded up with cords that rides in my back pouch of my 511 vest. Keeps my lower back and kidneys warm. Instant shelter if I need it. Groudn tarp to reflect heat back up if usd with a light weight tarp tent or the fly from my Northface tent etc...IMHO this is an item worth carrying.

Top Bottom