Survival Vest
    ect

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It must be pretty hard core if the guy pitching the product has to wear a tactical vest and touch an imaginary screen during the infomercial.

The lightest setup I've seen/used is a sportsmans blanket with a poncho liner attached to it. That's about the lightest weight you can go and still have something comfortable.

The product may work, but how much it's worth is debatable.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    FYI, they ain't cheap..

$33 for a sleeping bag..

Blizzard Survival Bag | PerSys Medical | Houston Texas

I woudn't say they were cheap at $33, but in the right situation that'd probably be worth every penny.

I have several of these Sportsmans Space Blankets Cabela's: Sportsman's Space Blankets
    and they're $13. For another $20 you get something that's a little different but could make all the difference in the world.

When I first saw the video I thought this was going to be another one of those $200 tactical must haves being sold by guys who sleep wearing a tactical vest in their mothers basement.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I woudn't say they were cheap at $33, but in the right situation that'd probably be worth every penny.

I have several of these Sportsmans Space Blankets Cabela's: Sportsman's Space Blankets
    and they're $13. For another $20 you get something that's a little different but could make all the difference in the world.

When I first saw the video I thought this was going to be another one of those $200 tactical must haves being sold by guys who sleep wearing a tactical vest in their mothers basement.

like this guy :):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/PolishedTurd4Life#p/u/9/ibyeoY5j2jo[/ame]

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    OK Thanks for the laugh OK chrstian_indy, OK, this is why I find Youtube more entertaiing then TV OK and I don't watch all that much TV OK.. LOL the kid said OK like 50 times or more.. And to carry 3,000 22LR rounds to go hunting? wow

Funny he is in an Airstream probbably camping out in his grandmas back yard..

As for the OP and the product it looks like an interesting evolution of a space blanket.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    If I'm not mistaken those Blizzard bags, etc are intended for hypothermia victims or emergency sleeping provisions, rather than a reusable permanent sleeping bag. Every time I've seen on these listed it is almost always for hypothermia incidents.

Interestingly enough the basic construction of these is not too different from some of the new Thermarest sleeping pads.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Since we're on this topic

What kind of sleeping bag do you have? (if any)

Please provide Name/brand and price if you can and why you chose that sleeping system.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The bags I have aren't the lightest, but for the money they can't be beat. I think I paid about $120 a piece for the four piece military modular sleeping system. I slept in one for a long period of my life and I knew it was the first piece of surplus gear I was going to buy when I got out. Well worth the money.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Get a woobie, and some skills.

With a woobie, and a shelter you are GTG.

Or if you have no skills, carry a heavier bag rated to at least zero (they all lie on ratings) and get a goretex bivy.

The Mechanic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Military modular sleep system full set is about 8 pounds,for temps above freezing you can just carry the patrol bag and bivy.That puts your weight around 4 pounds.Got mine from a guy out of fishers on craigs list 100 bucks unesed condition.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    these are only meant to be used in life threatening situations and for short term. they can actually do more harm than good as they aren't very breathable and trap moisture. there are a lot of great light weight bags out there for pretty cheap. for a true survival situation you don't have to be warm, the key is just not to freeze to death.

Top Bottom