• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I'm looking to get my first personal hand gun for home and self defense. I've had friends tell me I need to hurry and apply for a lifetime carry permit because they are trying to get rid of it.

Is there still a Life Time Carry Permit?

If so, is it concealed carry or open carry?

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I'm looking to get my first personal hand gun for home and self defense. I've had friends tell me I need to hurry and apply for a lifetime carry permit because they are trying to get rid of it.

It is a lifetime license to carry a handgun, not permit and no, it is not going away.

I forgot to add, you can carry your handgun open or concealed in Indiana.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Sigh...no it is not going away, it's not a permit it's a license to carry a hand gun, the IC does not specify how the hand gun must be carried. Forum search is your friend. This gets asked about every 3 hours.

Welcome.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Sigh...no it is not going away, it's not a permit it's a license to carry a hand gun, the IC does not specify how the hand gun must be carried. Forum search is your friend. This gets asked about every 3 hours.

Welcome.

Be nice to the new member. :)

Remember what your mother taught you: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Remember what your mother taught you: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

^^^ TRUE ^^^

Use the Search tab up at the top of the webpage and try LTCH Process. There are MANY threads that will provide information and take you step by step through this process.

My wife and I both have ours. Mine was an upgrade, hers was a first time ever. It was not dificult, it did not take a long time (neither of us have problems in our past). It is still available.

Good luck!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Notice how many members aren't saying anything at all?

Seriously though you have asked a question that tends to make people pile on as it gets asked frequently. Don't let that bother you. This is the place to ask those questions.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Notice how many members aren't saying anything at all?

Seriously though you have asked a question that tends to make people pile on as it gets asked frequently. Don't let that bother you. This is the place to ask those questions.

^^^^What he said^^^^^

Seriously, welcome and don't take the piling on personal. Some people just like jump on the newbies. Like some one else said, the search function is your friend, but don't feel bad asking if you don't find what you're looking for with an average search. Because contrary to some, that's part of what we're here for.

:welcome: :ingo: :ar15: :draw: :popcorn:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Welcome to INGO, Todes. As,you can see, if there's one thing INGO likes, it's a good dog pile. The question of lifetime licenses comes up quite a bit. So along with calling the license a permit; a magazine a clip; and writing anything remotely disparaging open carry will be answered with a swift and merciless dog pile.

Nah, the lifetime LTCH is not going away--but why wait? And in indiana, your LTCH is silent on your chosen method of carry.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Welcome TODES!
    As has been said the Lifetime LTCH is not going anywhere. If you are married your spouse (significant other) will want one as well. If you were to leave it in the car and the spouse were to get pulled over then they could accidentally become a felon.
    You will do well to read a lot on here. There is a treasure trove of info here and most of your questions will have been asked before. But if you cannot find your answer then ask away. No shame in that.
    Some will flame you pretty hard for making the mistakes that they themselves probably made here. Most if not all are doing it in fun. If not ignore them. They will quickly find some other newbie to raze.
    Again welcome!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    As far as I know, Indiana is the only state to issue a lifetime certificate of permission to exercise your right to carry. There's no rush to get the lifetime license since it isn't going away, but I'd definitely recommend that you get the lifetime type and never have to worry about renewing it!

If you move, you are required by Indiana law to notify the Indiana State Police so they can update their records. If that move takes you out of the state, they'll mark your LTCH as "inactive," which means you can't use it to carry in Indiana. At such a time as you move back to Indiana, you notify ISP again, they'll update their records, and you'll be able to carry here again without paying any kind of tax at all.

The deal about moving in and out of state applies to the non-lifetime license, except that if it's been long enough to expire, you have to pay the tax to get a new one just as if you'd never left the state and it expired.

You should definitely pay the extra up front in order to get the lifetime license.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Welcome TODES!
    As has been said the Lifetime LTCH is not going anywhere. If you are married your spouse (significant other) will want one as well. If you were to leave it in the car and the spouse were to get pulled over then they could accidentally become a felon.

I could've sworn this was changed a couple years ago so that this wouldn't happen.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Pennsylvania… I know that when my brother moved out there and I was looking into the laws for him, I saw that there was a specific exception in the law for that situation.

Now I can't remember if we changed it or not. Off to check the IC…

…OK, I'm back. Here's what I found.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Source: IC 35-47-2-1

The parts I highlighted say to me that a person who is not licensed may have a gun in a car, regardless of who owns the gun or the car, but the gun must be unloaded, not readily accessible, and secured in a case.

This is an improvement over the previous law, which used to prohibit somebody without a license from transporting a gun anywhere other than trips between the store, the home/place of business, or a gunsmith for repair.

As far as the issue infiremedic07 mentioned, I would agree with his recommendation that your wife get a license, too, because unless those specific criteria are met (unloaded, secured, not accessible), she would be in violation of the law.

Last edited:

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    If you were to leave it in the car and the spouse were to get pulled over then they could accidentally become a felon.

Depending on how you leave it you might be okay. The law changed to let people key the firearm in the car, if unloaded and out of reach of the driver. IC 35-47-2-1

As everyone is saying, dig deep and start doing some research, and welcome to INGO.

:ingo:

:themoreyouknow:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Depending on how you leave it you might be okay. The law changed to let people key the firearm in the car, if unloaded and out of reach of the driver. IC 35-47-2-1

As everyone is saying, dig deep and start doing some research, and welcome to INGO.

:ingo:

:themoreyouknow:

OK, he said what I was thinking. I have edited my post above with the specific Indiana Code confirming it.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    along with calling the license a permit; a magazine a clip; and writing anything remotely disparaging open carry will be answered with a swift and merciless dog pile.

You DO realize that we've all discussed this ad-naseum, and have all agreed that open carry is superior to concealed carry, right? :draw:

And by the way, Toades, Welcome Aboard!

Todes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I apologize for not using the search function, should have thought of that but slipped my mind I guess.

I won't take the dog pile personal so feel free. Thanks for the license, not permit clarification. And I will NEVER call a Magazine a Clip, that was as bad as a swear word in our house!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I apologize for not using the search function, should have thought of that but slipped my mind I guess.

I won't take the dog pile personal so feel free. Thanks for the license, not permit clarification. And I will NEVER call a Magazine a Clip, that was as bad as a swear word in our house!

Maybe we should see about getting the mods to filter out clip as c*** or something! ;)

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Welcome to INGO! :rockwoot:
    Some of our longer established members may seem a bit impatient at times, when new threads are created about regularly discussed topics. Well, then...

When you apply, please commit an extra $10-12 dollars for the L1 (electronic fingerprints). The process entails an application made via the Internet-wherein you add the L1 option before payment is made. You choose the appointment time and place for the electronic fingerprinting, while online. So, you pay for both the initial Indiana application and electronic fingerprints in the same transaction.

This is followed in most parts of the state with a visit to a local business that conducts the electronic fingerprinting. Then, the local city (or county Sheriff) will hand you the final (local) paperwork, which they send to the Indiana State Police upon completion of all the sections.

In Evansville, the local paperwork has to be notarized. This can be accomplished right then, and there IF you have additional cash in your pocket for a small notary fee. The notary likes to be paid separately in our locale.

Why should you do this? The difference in timing is about 10-12 weeks longer for the traditional paperwork, and old fashioned fingerprints on a card. Save time, and pay the extra $10-12 dollars, really!

Top Bottom