Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It is taught in France in middle school since 2010 (AED use, CPR, baby/adult choking, hemorrhage control, recovery position and such).
    They get 8 hours of first aid traning to get their certification I believe.

In some European country first aid training is mandatory to get your driver's licence and a first aid kit must be in the vehicle.

I had first-aid and CPR training/certification in health class in both junior high and high school. We did not receive AED training because . . . they had not yet been invented. Heheh

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;1AlFaLuuPVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AlFaLuuPVs[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Recognizing a tension pneumothorax and how to relieve it using a needle catheter is one of the primary skills learned in Doc Gunn's "Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds" class.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I kind of posted that in purple, because of the earlier discussion on the subject.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The trachea moving is quite a late sign from what I understand.

It is, but that's also why you need to treat it on the spot when you see it. If you can get the person to more advanced medical care before it gets to that point, probably better to refrain from poking them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It is, but that's also why you need to treat it on the spot when you see it. If you can get the person to more advanced medical care before it gets to that point, probably better to refrain from poking them.

Yep, don't stick needles in people's chests in the parking lot of your local hospital!
    They probably have time to get X-rays and see a doctor.

I'm not sure if good samaritan law would apply if you stab the dude in the heart, because your patient has dextrocardia, in front of the hospital. :faint:

If you're in a remote area and you're the only trained people around then it's another story.

But the needle is just a temporary solution, either way you will need medical care ASAP.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, don't stick needles in people's chests in the parking lot of your local hospital!
    They probably have time to get X-rays and see a doctor.

I'm not sure if good samaritan law would apply if you stab the dude in the heart, because your patient has dextrocardia, in front of the hospital. :faint:

If you're in a remote area and you're the only trained people around then it's another story.

But the needle is just a temporary solution, either way you will need medical care ASAP.

Agreed on all counts!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Myself and 2 other NWI INGOers attended a "Stop the Bleed" class given by the Hobart Fire Department.
    Didn't go over needles.
    But various tourniquets and bandages.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Myself and 2 other NWI INGOers attended a "Stop the Bleed" class given by the Hobart Fire Department.
    Didn't go over needles.
    But various tourniquets and bandages.

Nice!

Rhino should legally be obliged to take that class, and show his certification anytime he wants to buy a knife.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A tourniquet applied to the wrong leg is not really useful.

[video=youtube;bwOJ4AIa6w4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwOJ4AIa6w4[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That video is eye opening on several levels. You can learn about and believe how fast someone can exsanguinate from the femoral artery, but to see it happen in real time is a different story. In terms of saving that guy's life, it was very, very fast.

On the other side, there are two important self-defense points to note. One, from the point of view of how much time that guy could have kept fighting, it was a long, long time. He could have done a a lot of damage in the time he had left had he not made the decision that he was done.

Second, it also illustrates how stupid it is to believe that shooting someone in the leg is somehow less lethal than targeting the more preferred areas for the quickest end to hostility. How many times have we heard "they didn't have to kill him! Why didn't they just shoot him in the leg?"

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That video is eye opening on several levels. You can learn about and believe how fast someone can exsanguinate from the femoral artery, but to see it happen in real time is a different story. In terms of saving that guy's life, it was very, very fast.

On the other side, there are two important self-defense points to note. One, from the point of view of how much time that guy could have kept fighting, it was a long, long time. He could have done a a lot of damage in the time he had left had he not made the decision that he was done.

Second, it also illustrates how stupid it is to believe that shooting someone in the leg is somehow less lethal than targeting the more preferred areas for the quickest end to hostility. How many times have we heard "they didn't have to kill him! Why didn't they just shoot him in the leg?"

I have always believed that shooting someone in the keg is a great way to put him out of our misery and at the same time being able to make the argument that you shot him in the leg because you thought it would be less lethal.

Top Bottom