Libs mad. Biden isn't extending student loan forbearance, nothing happening with loan forgiveness.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    How about a car?

Can I shove that off to others?

(the bill passed by the house says I can as long as it is electric and built by union workers)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You can shove a lot of purchases off onto others through bankruptcy. You can even keep some of the stuff you bought.

Point being, make student loans dischargeable through bankruptcy, and you'll see the current scam system of easy five or six figure loans to dumb 18 year olds for degrees that are barely worth the paper they are written on come to a screeching halt.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You can shove a lot of purchases off onto others through bankruptcy. You can even keep some of the stuff you bought.

Point being, make student loans dischargeable through bankruptcy, and you'll see the current scam system of easy five or six figure loans to dumb 18 year olds for degrees that are barely worth the paper they are written on come to a screeching halt.

Truth

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The cost of going to college is insanely and prohibitively high. Being in debt for the next few decades of your life is rough. But…you agreed to it. You knew the deal when you signed up.

This is the problem. I agree 100% that it's absolutely insane to expect taxpayers to pay off college debt, or even offer free college. That said, there is a problem and it needs to be fixed. Instead of letting the slimebag politicos promise free :poop:, we should hold them to actually fixing problems. There is no reason for a college education, outside of Ivy League institutions perhaps, to be more than the cost of a home. As has been said, the Gov't created the problem and they need to actually fix the problem. That would be way better than a band-aid solution like paying student loans.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the problem. I agree 100% that it's absolutely insane to expect taxpayers to pay off college debt, or even offer free college. That said, there is a problem and it needs to be fixed. Instead of letting the slimebag politicos promise free :poop:, we should hold them to actually fixing problems. There is no reason for a college education, outside of Ivy League institutions perhaps, to be more than the cost of a home. As has been said, the Gov't created the problem and they need to actually fix the problem. That would be way better than a band-aid solution like paying student loans.
    When a young person with stars in their eyes signs at an institution of higher learning (:lmfao:) they are assailed with nonsense course fillers. Classes that really do not help them in their chosen degrees but just revenue streams for tenured professors to fill the seats and feed the beast. Eliminate the pork and these degrees are more affordable and with the reduced class hours an easier feat for the youngsters.
    But the beast needs to be fed.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When a young person with stars in their eyes signs at an institution of higher learning (:lmfao:) they are assailed with nonsense course fillers. Classes that really do not help them in their chosen degrees but just revenue streams for tenured professors to fill the seats and feed the beast. Eliminate the pork and these degrees are more affordable and with the reduced class hours an easier feat for the youngsters.

Completely agreed. I did my time at IvyTech and then at WGU, so I absolutely understand that problem... ;)

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Imagine we had someone with the will to tell fedgov to f off.
    ^^^ THIS! ^^^ I have started telling my State Legicritters variations of this. Stop subjecting the citizens of Indiana to Federal Government extortion! In many cases the only "authority" the Federal Government has to get its way is to extort the States. If the States refuse, and press on the 9th and 10th Amendments the Federal Government might well find itself neutered.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    While I agree with most of this, I can't agree with it all.

Both my kids went thru college. I told them I wanted it and I would cover any costs associated with it. Their job was to go to school.

The silly filler classes are mostly useless, but I think of it a different way. These kids are coming out of high school. They are possibly on their own for the first time. They do not make the wisest of choices. Maybe they need a little break from the tough classes. Maybe underwater basket weaving is important to someone's chosen career. Most likely it was set up as an easy A. Trig is tough, but they don't get burned out and quit because they get a break, which as children is important.

My kids would complain about the filler classes more often than not. My youngest wanted to take the core classes and be done. She graduated high school in 3 years with a 4.0 and got her bachelor's degree in college in 3 years as well. She hated the fillers and called them a waste of time and money. She was one of very few college aged kids who saw it that way.

How many college grads are actually in the field they planned to be at the start? Very few. I know that when I was 18 I had different plans for what I would be doing the rest of my life.

I tell every student I meet that it isn't as much about what you learn as it is that you are learning to learn.

With that being said, both my kids got scholarships, grants and any other gifts that they could. I covered the rest. No way was I going to push them into college debt. They saw friends drop out who are still paying back loans that literally were never used.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I paid back $60k+ of student loans/interest from Purdue in less than 6 years. It took a steady professional job in my chosen field, modest living, strict budgeting, minimal travel, and hard work for my wife and I. We made sacrifices…all while buying (used) cars, our first home, and having our first child.

Wanna be treated like an adult? Accept the adult responsibility and consequences of signing your name on a dotted line.

Learn a trade/skill/knowledge that has income upside.

WORK.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    On Wednesday, defacto president Joe Manchin said:

5y3psk.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I paid back $60k+ of student loans/interest from Purdue in less than 6 years. It took a steady professional job in my chosen field, modest living, strict budgeting, minimal travel, and hard work for my wife and I. We made sacrifices…all while buying (used) cars, our first home, and having our first child.

Wanna be treated like an adult? Accept the adult responsibility and consequences of signing your name on a dotted line.

Learn a trade/skill/knowledge that has income upside.

WORK.
    "WINNING"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I agree with most of this, I can't agree with it all.

Both my kids went thru college. I told them I wanted it and I would cover any costs associated with it. Their job was to go to school.

The silly filler classes are mostly useless, but I think of it a different way. These kids are coming out of high school. They are possibly on their own for the first time. They do not make the wisest of choices. Maybe they need a little break from the tough classes. Maybe underwater basket weaving is important to someone's chosen career. Most likely it was set up as an easy A. Trig is tough, but they don't get burned out and quit because they get a break, which as children is important.

My kids would complain about the filler classes more often than not. My youngest wanted to take the core classes and be done. She graduated high school in 3 years with a 4.0 and got her bachelor's degree in college in 3 years as well. She hated the fillers and called them a waste of time and money. She was one of very few college aged kids who saw it that way.

How many college grads are actually in the field they planned to be at the start? Very few. I know that when I was 18 I had different plans for what I would be doing the rest of my life.

I tell every student I meet that it isn't as much about what you learn as it is that you are learning to learn.

With that being said, both my kids got scholarships, grants and any other gifts that they could. I covered the rest. No way was I going to push them into college debt. They saw friends drop out who are still paying back loans that literally were never used.
    I understand but my point is this should be optional not required.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    If my kids choose the college path I fully intend to cover as much of the cost as I can. However if they choose some BS degree were I don't see a good rate of return on my investment they can they can do it on their own. I'll use the college funds for something else.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Let them go even with a spotty degree. Youngest wanted to get a specific degree. Started out that way and then a counselor explained how there was no money in it until you got a doctorate.

There are still good and honest people out there... you just have to look for them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If people are forced to understand that supporting yourself is a requirement and preparation is the key to supporting yourself, they may take a more serious look at the preparation. When the gubmint steps in and says, " Here! Have some money! Go to school where it feels good." And then makes stupid, ridiculous promises during a campaign that they'll never have to pay it back. . . .
    Well I say it's time to change the gubmint.

But teaching your kids how not to be stupid is a start.

Tougher with some hard heads than others. Those who listen should prosper.
    Those who won't, will (and should) suffer.

Top Bottom