• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    A friend of mine, wants me to go gun shopping with him. But he doesnt want to go to any local gun shops, says they are too expensive. He only wants to go to pawn shops.

I dont really trust pawn shops. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with pawn shops? What do you think?

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    The guys at Ram-Zs in lafayette were always good to me, other than that I really haven't frequented too many other pawn shops for firearms.

Ram-Z is also a dealer though.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    IMHO, pawn shops are good if you're firearm savy and understand enough to tell if something is amiss, either mechanically or price-wise. It's more of a "buyer beware", as is-no warranty relationship.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even the pawn shops are getting expensive. They troll for suckers daily. I still go to one locally but see the prices there are getting silly high.
    Use your head and shop around. LGS may have a good deal here and there but everybody thinks their guns are worth more these days. Even in our classifieds they are attempting to get higher than NIB prices for used pieces.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Pawn shops can be hit or miss. I find that you have to keep hitting them until you can actually find a deal. Always with pawn shops cash is king.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    The Gold Nugget in Hope Indiana is AWESOME to work with. I took a rifle in once and told him what I needed out of it and he offered me 200.00 more for it. I knew what it was worth and what I had in it and told him that bht he wanted to be fair. I have bought sold and trade NUMEROUS firearms there over the last 18 or so years. Nice people and always had a decent selection of used and new, bolt actions and semi autos, all brands and models pistols and revolvers ect...

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    The Gold Nugget in Hope Indiana is AWESOME to work with. I took a rifle in once and told him what I needed out of it and he offered me 200.00 more for it. I knew what it was worth and what I had in it and told him that bht he wanted to be fair. I have bought sold and trade NUMEROUS firearms there over the last 18 or so years. Nice people and always had a decent selection of used and new, bolt actions and semi autos, all brands and models pistols and revolvers ect...

Why'd you post this, now the secret is out.:):

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I like Columbus Pawn in Columbus. They have fair prices and carry quite a bit of non-pawned stuff he orders in. My brother and I have bought 3-4 guns there between us and I've found I've gotten decent deals. I paid 99 there for a Mosin when they were going for 99 bucks. Paid 199 for a Cimarron Plinkerton when I could get one online for 169 plus shipping. So I think that was fair.

Anyway, then I went to Blythes up in Valpo when I was home with my brother. They had EVERYTHING on the wall I'd ever wanted to touch/consider buying. I was looking at guns that day and I had about 8 layed out in front of me. It was AWESOME!! The pawn shop usually have a bunch of guns, but nothing like a large gun store. If your friend is looking to buy but doesn't know what yet, I think a LGS might be better for selection...especially in these times.

Last time I was in the pawn shop they had NO 9 mm semi autos in stock(come to think of it...not sure if they had any semi autos at all) and very few rifles/shotguns. They have been cleaned out like everyone else. My brother says Blythes is running low too....but I am 3 hrs south of there so I haven't been in to compare. Probably not near as bad as the pawn shop I'm guessing

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    +1 For Ram-Z in Lafayette. Make sure you hit the right one. Big lawsuit over naming rights on this. I think it's technically called Pam-Zs Emporium. It's located in front of East side Nine movie theater, across from pizza hut. They are great to deal with. The will buy or trade guns. Some prices are high, some are lower than you'd expect. Went in there and wanted to buy a new rifle. Didn't have a specific round in mind. The guy showed me everything I wanted without getting annoyed and answered all my questions. Give it a try.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I used to work at a pawn shop and deals can be had. However, you have to know what things are worth. Sometimes they underprice sometimes they over price. You also run into a lot of items that are well used. Not trying to stereo type, but quite a few of the people who use pawnshops are not the most careful with how the treat their own things.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Sorry fellas, I figure if you are around us you know about Hope and if you arent and are willing to drive there they may as well benefit from the business...LOL... Never have been one for keeping secrets very well but my 2 ex wives were, you would have thought I would have learned to keep a secret from the way they did it... hahahaha

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Columbus Pawn can have some good deals, but it help if you know what you're looking at and about how much it's worth, just my 2 cents

Top Bottom