• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah, this one has a headphone jack also, but I have never used it. I just keep the volume low. My 88-yr-old mom is usually sleeping, but she is hard of hearing and she also has an oxygen concentrator running. I need to be able to hear if she calls.
    Snap, how did you like the little pink acoustic you bought? Just curious...

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Latest additions to the collection.

The Washburn bass was a great find. Sounds great and plays well after I lowered the saddles a little. Might be able to get it a tiny bit lower at the nut as well. The pickups are great for a cheap bass.

Had been wanting an acoustic to bang around on for a long time. The string spacing is so much narrower and the gauge is so much smaller than I'm used to. I feel like a giant trying to play with a kid's toy and having to be careful not to break it.

Reactions: Leo

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Since I’ve actually been playing quite a bit lately, I decided to upgrade one of the few remaining stock parts of my old Strat… the tuners. I bought a set of Fender locking tuners, the same ones that now come on the American Deluxe and American Elite Strats.

I naively assumed this would be a direct swap… nope. Had to break out the power tools. still glad I did it though.

86FBE34D-0A4B-4C6D-9A9C-3BC72DB6C8DD.jpeg8DFB25D8-D99B-47C2-A092-0352532ABE0F.jpeg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Since I’ve actually been playing quite a bit lately, I decided to upgrade one of the few remaining stock parts of my old Strat… the tuners. I bought a set of Fender locking tuners, the same ones that now come on the American Deluxe and American Elite Strats.

I naively assumed this would be a direct swap… nope. Had to break out the power tools. still glad I did it though.

View attachment 177572View attachment 177571
    Wooo...deluxe !

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The latest one (on the left), finally delivered today from Japan.

Guess which one is getting a refinish to look like the other? :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    wBwuS2yh.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The latest one (on the left), finally delivered today from Japan.

Guess which one is getting a refinish to look like the other? :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    wBwuS2yh.jpg

Very cool ... it's obviously a well-traveled string instrument !
    I must ask. What is on the headstock of the Gibson ? It looks like a baby-resonator ! :cool:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Very cool ... it's obviously a well-traveled string instrument !
    I must ask. What is on the headstock of the Gibson ? It looks like a baby-resonator ! :cool:
    I bought the one on the right out of South Korea so they've both got some miles on em!

It's just a small, convex mirror. I put it together as a tribute to Adam Jones, the guitarist from Tool. It's pretty accurate outside of the electronics which the info on seems to be up for debate. It is by far, the coolest thing I've ever owned. I play it daily for at least an hour and it is amazing in all respects.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I bought the one on the right out of South Korea so they've both got some miles on em!

It's just a small, convex mirror. I put it together as a tribute to Adam Jones, the guitarist from Tool. It's pretty accurate outside of the electronics which the info on seems to be up for debate. It is by far, the coolest thing I've ever owned. I play it daily for at least an hour and it is amazing in all respects.

Very nice ! An instrument with personal history always stands at the head of the pack.
    I've also been trying to play at least an hour a day.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You

Love Tool. Thinking about trying to catch one of their concerts this spring.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've been practicing on my Ultra Light electric (thanks again Phylodog), but I wanted a little more volume than I got playing unplugged. Not too much because I do most of my practicing between about 5-6 am. I found this micro-amp on Amazon and it has been working out really well. It runs on 9v batteries but I bought a 9v AC adaptor. It doesn't have any fancy effects (even though it says it does), but it is perfect for amplifying just loud enough for me to play quietly.

View attachment 173621
    I am wondering what the background hiss is like on that little amp. I have already bought a VOX headphone amp (for too much money) and the background noise really annoys me. Sounds like someone frying pork chops. The one I got from Monoprice was cheap but worse than the VOX unit. I have several really good headphones. I think the fact that the hiss is right up to my ears makes it worse. Even when I am home alone, I don't always like to practice through a cranked Fender Twin.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am wondering what the background hiss is like on that little amp. I have already bought a VOX headphone amp (for too much money) and the background noise really annoys me. Sounds like someone frying pork chops. The one I got from Monoprice was cheap but worse than the VOX unit. I have several really good headphones. I think the fact that the hiss is right up to my ears makes it worse. Even when I am home alone, I don't always like to practice through a cranked Fender Twin.
    I don't notice a hiss. I was getting a lot of tremolo yesterday, but it turns out that's what happens when the battery is low. Changed the battery and it's fine. I'm finding I'm not using the AC adapter much because the area where I play doesn't have an outlet near.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The Boss Waza Air headphone amp is great. The software isn't the best, Roland (Boss) needs to hire someone new to write their manuals but it's been awesome for me in spite of these things.

Reactions: Leo

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If anyone is looking for a cheap headphone amp with effects (or at least a gain channel), I've found the small ones most of the amp manufacturers make for cheap are surprisingly good. I have the Boss Katana Mini and Orange Crush Mini, and the Boss sounds so good on its effects channels that I suspect they priced it so low as a sales tactic to sell their larger amps. And the Orange functions passably well as a Bass amp. I think these things were 40 bucks last I checked, and totally worth it. I have them laying all over the house and there is a definite convenience factor. They are the size of a can of wet wipes, and more durable than the things that plug into your guitar output jack (I've found all those to not last any time at all).

It's a bit more, but the Vox Mini 5 Rhythm gives you drum tracks to play along with, without the need for a drum machine pedal. That was something I used for a long time, until I got the next toy...

Change in gears but I have to give a shout to the Moises app. I just started playing with it, and for a free app it is amazing. You download any song using a Youtube IRL link, and in about 5 minutes it processes the song with AI technology and returns the processed file into your cloud library. It separates it into 4 or 5 tracks (Vocals, drums, keys, guitar, bass). You can selectively change the volume of each track infinitely down to zero, allowing you to isolate a track or eliminate it from the mix and play along with the rest. What is really great is you can change the playback tempo without changing pitch (some Boss software used to have this, but the audio was horrible if you changed the tempo). If you're trying to break down a guitar solo or figure out a tricky hi-hat rhythm on drums, it is incredible for that purpose. It also analyzes what key the song is in. It allows you to set a "count-in" of a predetermined number of beats, and also set the song to auto-repeat. It is great for drummers; I set it to auto-repeat with a 4-beat count-in between each repetition, and you can jam out a song 6 or 8 times in a half hour and build your endurance. I have found on certain songs it can't isolate all frequencies perfectly well, but as long as the mix isn't too busy it's quite good and for a free app you cannot beat it. You have to upgrade to the $3.99 per month version to process songs longer than 5 minutes...it's frustrating me because every time I try to buy the premium version, it routes me back to a page promoting the free version. If you haven't tried the free version yet, I think you will love it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom