• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I bought a place with a 2 acre, fully stocked lake. The rip rap around the lake is overgrown with grass and vegetation. I can trim it with a weed wacker, but I'd rather clean it up and make it look good (no grass in the rocks).

Looking for suggestions on what to use without harming my fish? This is all new to me, so it's PLENTY of research before any action taken.
    a48d6be035dd822376c3db3a9c352646.jpg
    545d4db4bc0cc9d4a90c1c1942224693.jpg

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Would it be practical to burn them out?
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pl...g-information-on-flame-weeding-in-gardens.htm

Obviously, it would be safest when the vegetation is green. It will probably look ugly for a few days, but the ash should break up and blow away. I doubt that there would be enough ash to affect the quality of the water. It would have to be repeated a few times a year. I do not think any means will permanently remove the grass.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I just had a small, duck pond dug on our build site, so I'm limited with what little info I can offer.

First, looks like ya need more rip rap. As it was explained to me, rip rap functions as a deterrent to erosion, the little you have probably won't do much.

Second, as you add more rip rap, fill in the gaps by sprinkling some bentonite clay in the gaps,
    It helps "bed" the rip rap and the clay makes it harder for grass/weeds to get a foothold. The soil that has filled in yours, from erosion, is a fertile nursery for any seed that lands there.

Here's an inexpensive option for bentonite clay as it can be expensive, Rural King has a brand of UNSCENTED kitty litter that is 100% bentonite clay and it's easier to spread than the expensive stuff. I use my seeder and it works great.

Good luck.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Mountain climbing goats.
    If you go herbicide be careful or you may not have a stocked pond.
    Burning works but is temporary and has to be done again, but so is herbicide.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Try spraying 10% vinegar. I used it on my gravel drive. Worked great. Might check if the run off will harm fish. Kind of doubt it would. It will fry frogs and toads though. You can buy 30% and dilute or purchase straight 10%. Regular household vinegar is 5%.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Vinegar, maybe vinegar and salt mixes?

I'd try a little at a time, starting with household vinegar in various dilutions. Weed killer effectiveness will likely be dictated by time of day, temperature, sun, etc.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    A lot of that looks like Nutsedge (or nutgrass) which is very difficult to kill Because it grows from rhizomes 8-18” deep. If you don’t kill all the nut grass sharing a root system and rhizomes they’ll just come back.

If you keep killing clusters that sprout up you will eventually kill off the root system, But it may take five or six times. don’t let it spread to your lawn because it’s a bitch to get rid of.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Great replies - thanks all.

I'll do some further digging on all the suggestions and try a small section on whichever I decide to go with.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glyphosate, applied low and directly onto the grass.

Shouldn't hurt fish, but may hurt frogs or tadpoles.

Glyphosate. Used to be sold as Roundup. The herbicide itself is safe, it is the surfactants that can harm aquatic life. They make a version without surfactants that was sold under the trade name Rodeo. You than had to add an adjuvant approved for aquatic use.

Any of the Glyphosate products should be fine around the pond as long as you don’t get it in the water. Go to the farm supply place and purchase some generic 41% glyphosate. Mix it according to label and apply.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The difficult solution would be to remove as much rip rap as you can and put down a good weed blocking fabric, then add additional rip rap to your existing.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    I bought a place with a 2 acre, fully stocked lake. The rip rap around the lake is overgrown with grass and vegetation. I can trim it with a weed wacker, but I'd rather clean it up and make it look good (no grass in the rocks).

Looking for suggestions on what to use without harming my fish? This is all new to me, so it's PLENTY of research before any action taken.
    a48d6be035dd822376c3db3a9c352646.jpg
    545d4db4bc0cc9d4a90c1c1942224693.jpg
    We use this around our pond with no problems.BB4378D8-A691-4F2C-8041-245A6A492007.jpeg

Top Bottom