• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Rural King had various brands of glyphosate concentrates and ready to spray versions a few weeks ago. They even had a sale on the weed killers. The shelves had plenty then.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I bought some today at RK. About $100 for a 2.5 gallon jug of 41% glyphosphate. I mix it at 3 ounces per gallon of water and spray the foliage after the morning dew has dried. If you spray when the leaves or grass blades are wet, it just runs off instead of absorbing into the plant.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I bought some today at RK. About $100 for a 2.5 gallon jug of 41% glyphosphate. I mix it at 3 ounces per gallon of water and spray the foliage after the morning dew has dried. If you spray when the leaves or grass blades are wet, it just runs off instead of absorbing into the plant.
    Thanks!

I'm assuming I can just use this as my all around weed / grass killer spray as well?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ad a good squirt or two of Dawn to your mix, it helps hold the liquid on the plants.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ad a good squirt or two of Dawn to your mix, it helps hold the liquid on the plants.

Dawn really won’t do anything to help Glyphosate. Most of the Glyphosates have surfactant in them already, so better advice would be to just use a little more product.

There are adjuvants that will increase the uptake of Glyphosate.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dawn really won’t do anything to help Glyphosate. Most of the Glyphosates have surfactant in them already, so better advice would be to just use a little more product.

Is there a simple way to tell on the ingredient list if there is surfactant or enough surfactant to do the job on generic glyphosates? INGOer forester from down your way suggested to me to add surfactant to the generics, back when the name brand Roundup seemed better? In recent years, I've always used a tablespoon of Dawn in a two gallon sprayer.

I mix 6oz concentrate in the two gallon sprayer, with the Dawn. It seems effective, but takes around to a week to show real burndown. Is that on the low end of concentration for best results? Like Hawkeye7br mentioned, glyphosate has doubled in price in the past couple years. I try to make this now liquid gold go as far as possible.

Sorry if I'm threadjacking. No idea whether this is a bad idea for near or in a waterway. I just treat the gravel drive and a few various edges. Once in a while a thistle outbreak, before it gets carried away.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Flame thrower is the fun option...not sure if it's the practical one...but flame thrower.
    Reminds me of a bad day at the office I had recently. The super at the golf course where I work asked for a volunteer to burn weeds out of our sand bunkers. Spraying glyphosate in bunkers runs the risk of players tracking it from the trap onto the green, and it makes quick work of bentgrass mowed to 3/16" . Newbie that I was, I quickly stepped up, wanting this cool job before anyone else got it. I didn't notice at the time that no one else even budged.

I got the "flame thrower", which was just a long hose with a nozzle attached to a propane tank, hopped into a Gator, and headed off to fry some dandelions. It was fun for maybe the first 2 minutes. After that it was just hot (HOT!) smelly work. Luckily, I ran out of propane after a couple of hours. The next day, I hugged my fairway mower and asked its forgiveness for forsaking it for a day. Oh, and the weeds? Back in 2 weeks.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I would bet that .05 cents worth of Dawn in a hand sprayer is much more cost effective than adding more Gly or purchasing other chemicals to do the job.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Is there a simple way to tell on the ingredient list if there is surfactant or enough surfactant to do the job on generic glyphosates? INGOer forester from down your way suggested to me to add surfactant to the generics, back when the name brand Roundup seemed better? In recent years, I've always used a tablespoon of Dawn in a two gallon sprayer.

I mix 6oz concentrate in the two gallon sprayer, with the Dawn. It seems effective, but takes around to a week to show real burndown. Is that on the low end of concentration for best results? Like Hawkeye7br mentioned, glyphosate has doubled in price in the past couple years. I try to make this now liquid gold go as far as possible.

Sorry if I'm threadjacking. No idea whether this is a bad idea for near or in a waterway. I just treat the gravel drive and a few various edges. Once in a while a thistle outbreak, before it gets carried away.

There isn’t an easy way unfortunately. The generics can differ widely from batch to batch depending on where they are being produced. Most likely in China. I have seen samples from 11 batches all be a different color and different consistency.

Use Dawn if you want. It has surfactants in it. Particularly the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. I am not a formulation chemist but I do recognize that as a common ingredient in some agricultural adjuvants. Just use a little bit, it should only cause more foam and I wouldn’t expect any antagonism problems. Avoid oils and petroleum!!! But another ounce of Glyphosate is only $0.31 even with the 2.5x cost (used to be $39.99) of $100 per 2.5 gallon jug.

Roundup is in short supply. Yes there is in fact a shortage. Plus it is expensive for farmers who spray 22-48 oz per acre. There are products that make Glyphosate “hot” and significantly increase the uptake. Using the correct tank adjuvant is both cost effective and helps expensive chemistry work properly. I have a garage full of different products for field testing. BW, swing by the house and I’ll give you all you want.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This type weedkiller/grasskiller is designed to be absorbed into the foliage and generally kill the root. I think that's why it takes 10-14 days, first turning the plant a bit yellow (2-3 days) then brown and dead. It needs a 2 hour dry time to be absorbed, so don't apply just before a rain or when foliage is wet. I won't apply following a rain cuz it seems the foliage is already saturated and thus less effected by the weed killer. Be advised, small ferns or hedges will die with this. Surprising to us at RCC, it is effective in killing sycamore? saplings around the pistol bays. Spray the plant foliage around ponds, not the water. Not a professional, but been using this a long time. Watch the wind and the fine overspray.

Top Bottom