• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So I will be going to kentucky tomorrow, I took a look at the hand gun laws there but still had some questions.

Can i carry there like i do here OC or CC? I understand there are a few more places I can't carry, such as bars. But other than that what do I need to know?

thanks

Horse-Power

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I carried there a few months ago on a trip down to Bowling Green, I CC and didnt get pulled over so I never had to inform.

The only thing that I ran into was the Corvette Mueseum had a no weapons sign, dont know if it had any legal standing or not.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I work in Kentucky quite a bit and the duty to inform is new to me. I have not heard or seen that anywhere else. The restaurants that serve alcohol by the drink clause is the main difference between Indiana and Kentucky, watch out for that one.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've CC'd there. Most of the ppl I was with had guns laying in their consoles or seats. Pretty firearm friendly in western Kentucky.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just called the state police down there, and got transfered around but finally came to a lady that told me i can carry OC or CC since I have my indiana lic. I just have to watch out for no gun signs, because those hold weight there. I can go to places like applebees but I have to be weary of the signs.

When we go to the tilted kilt, i might just leave the gun in the car.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I will be going to kentucky tomorrow, I took a look at the hand gun laws there but still had some questions.

Can i carry there like i do here OC or CC? I understand there are a few more places I can't carry, such as bars. But other than that what do I need to know?

thanks

You can Open Carry in Kentucky, no permit required. however, local LEO's don't always see it that way. that is STRAIGHT from my CCW iphone app.

With a permit, it is no issue whatsoever.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Far as I know you can OC if you want.

One note, a friend of mine whom lives in Louisville told me recently that as of last year there is now a duty to inform if you are pulled over by LEO. But I have not yet been able to confirm that in any official capacity.

Here is KY's CCDW page
    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

Not according to all the books and resources I can find. I am driving to Florida tonight, and Georgia is the only duty to inform state. Kentucky is not.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Heres a handy pic for Duty to inform

3ampR.jpg

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    You can Open Carry in Kentucky, no permit required. however, local LEO's don't always see it that way. that is STRAIGHT from my CCW iphone app.

If you do travel quite a bit the ccw app is well worth the couple bucks. I have it for my Android phone. They have built links to all the states websites including FAQs.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

So, my sister, who has no permits of any kind can carry her new Ruger in Kentucky?

Last edited:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Not according to all the books and resources I can find. I am driving to Florida tonight, and Georgia is the only duty to inform state. Kentucky is not.

That is why I was trying to verify through some creditable source. I haven't seen anything as of yet that says you have to inform. Everything I come across says no. I will probably call before the next time I head down there.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Since I originally posted this map on INGO, let me add... "be advised that it may be out of date". Check with Handgunlaw.us before you go.
    It's probably a good idea to check any information given out to make sure it is current. In this case there seems to be a conflict whether Georgia is a must inform state or not.

dmax

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I was in Cynthiana (north of Lexington) last week investigating a fire loss. An officer parked behined me and when I came back to my vehicle the first words out of his mouth where "what kinda gun you carry?" We discussed Smith M&P vs. Glock vs. Sig for about ten minutes. Nice guy. I guess he figured all Hoosiers 'are packin'.

Top Bottom