• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have been excited about these for a while. Looks like they are starting to trickle into the market. I hope to at least handle one at the 1500 show in January, though prices will be in gouge mode for a while I am sure.

picture.php

"The RFB is a short-stroke gas piston operated semi-automatic rifle in 7.62 mm NATO caliber. It accepts standard metric FAL type magazines. Barrels on current models are 18" long, with a chrome lined bore and chamber. The muzzle is threaded 5/8x24 TPI and comes equipped with our A2-style Flash Hider. All controls are fully ambidextrous."

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have been watching this rifle since it was announced. I have a few likes and a few concerns. I like the weight and the length as well as the magazine choice. On the other hand, while I own several polymer firearms, this one puts me off slightly. First it is a bullpup which is it's own concern with the receiver right up against your cheek. Second, this is a polymer rifle that is screwed together from opposite sides. Screws. Visible ones.

Not sure I can spend $1300-1500 on that.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First it is a bullpup which is it's own concern with the receiver right up against your cheek. Second, this is a polymer rifle that is screwed together from opposite sides. Screws. Visible ones.

From Kel-Tec's website:

RFB is also the safest Bullpup ever developed because the breech is separated from the shooters face by two layers of 1.6 mm steel. In the highly unlikely event of a case rupture, gas expansion is directed downwards through the magazine well to protect the shooters head and face.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've been interested in these for while and may end up with one. The price will have to come down to a reasonable level first. I don't, currently, have any concerns about its construction I just can't justify the cost when there are well established comparable rifles for about the same or just a little more money.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It would have to be under $1,000 for me to jump on it.

Why is it that ALL 308 battle rifles are $1,000 or more? just because the Fudds will pay it? There is no reason that ALL 308 rifles have to be $1,600. Its stupid.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Why is it that ALL 308 battle rifles are $1,000 or more? just because the Fudds will pay it?

Do you really think "fudds" are buying "battle rifles"? :dunno:

I do agree with new gun pricing, though. Seems like the average price at which new military-style semi-auto rifles debut has climbed steadily in the past couple years. Now it seems like you can't touch a new gun of that type (.22s notwithstanding) for less than about $1800; some even more than that!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Do you really think "fudds" are buying "battle rifles"? :dunno:

I do agree with new gun pricing, though. Seems like the average price at which new military-style semi-auto rifles debut has climbed steadily in the past couple years. Now it seems like you can't touch a new gun of that type (.22s notwithstanding) for less than about $1800; some even more than that!

It is as if every battle rifle has to compete with the M1A and match price. Should be match M1A in ability, and get under FAL in price.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ugly yes, but when the "non-baised" media goes nuts over it, it suddenly becomes beautiful! Funny, ugly and evil looking drive the media and government crazy, so they must be beautiful weapons!

OK, and I'm not even drunk!

As for pricing, it is getting a little angering when everything seems to be coming in at over $1500. I like bullpups, so when the FS-2000 was introduced, I was thrilled until I saw the price, $2000. There is that great new military style rifle, called the SCAR, but it started at only $2800 and has come down to a bargain $2400! Steyr AUG clones were introduced at only $1800 which is less than half the real deal!

Unfortunately so far the ones I have seen on Gunbroker have been well over $1500.

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Per some other boards, Kel-Tec should have a new manufacturing site up and running in the next few months designated to RFBs. Everything I know about them is second hand, but everything I've heard is good. I still don't know exactly what it would do that a bread and butter 16" AR won't, but that said they're a nice gun without proprietary mags, which I give big props to Kel-Tec for not attempting to nickel and dime buyers on costly mags.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Seems that Kel-Tec does an excellent job at producing novelty arms at a reasonable price. I know there are some bullpup conversions out there for "X", but I don't think you can complain about price. Where else can you buy a bullpup for that price? Plus, it's chambered for 7.62.

I still don't know exactly what it would do that a bread and butter 16" AR won't, but that said they're a nice gun without proprietary mags, which I give big props to Kel-Tec for not attempting to nickel and dime buyers on costly mags.

Well, I could think of a couple. First, it's a truly ambidextrous rifle in every way. I personally hate being pinged by hot brass, so I appreciate the novelty. Furthermore, I believe this rifle promotes off-handed shooting, of which I am a proponent. Being able to clear obstructions from the left is a problem that most fail to recognize. Or perhaps being wounded is another thing to consider, a shooter might be forced to fire from his weak hand. Again, this design is indeed suited for such situations. Second, I like what bullpups offer in terms of accuracy and mobility. I admit, I would like to see the numbers on this rifle.

For anybody interested in the inner workings of the RFB, here's a good website:
    Modern Firearms - Sniper Rifles - Kel-tec RFB rifle

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i handled one at a local shop 2 months ago. it really felt good. looked like good workmanship and eronomics. i wanted it. it didnt have any iron sights on it and it felt HEAVY(more than my M1A) even though some of it is polymer. it was priced at $1399 which i thought was a great price at the time.

Top Bottom