• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mark Kirk: 'Man Up,' Vote On SCOTUS Nominee | The Daily Caller

**** him and the horse he rode in on. The dems like this game and I'm ready to play it for a few months.

I think everyone should just be honest about it. The SCOTUS is a political entity. Everyone without their heads buried in dark places knows it. Nominations are about stacking the court with the ideology of the party in charge. It's been that way for a long time.

Picking a progressive that smells kinda republicany and pushing that appointment as "reasonable", so that the President can then point to those "unreasonable" republicans for blocking him is every bit as political as the republicans blocking it. The POTUS should quit pretending he's not being partisan. He knows the Republicans aren't going to bite. He just wants them to pay a political price for McConnell declaring their strategy. I suspect if McConnell would have kept his mouth shut, Obama would likely have picked a younger progressive just like his other picks. And then McConnell could have just run the clock out. But as usual McConnell played it stupid.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think everyone should just be honest about it. The SCOTUS is a political entity. Everyone without their heads buried in dark places knows it. Nominations are about stacking the court with the ideology of the party in charge. It's been that way for a long time.

Picking a progressive that smells kinda republicany and pushing that appointment as "reasonable", so that the President can then point to those "unreasonable" republicans for blocking him is every bit as political as the republicans blocking it. The POTUS should quit pretending he's not being partisan. He knows the Republicans aren't going to bite. He just wants them to pay a political price for McConnell declaring their strategy. I suspect if McConnell would have kept his mouth shut, Obama would likely have picked a younger progressive just like his other picks. And then McConnell could have just run the clock out. But as usual McConnell played it stupid.

My money is still on the stupid party caving, when all is said and done...maybe not on this guy but they'll cave none the less.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My money is still on the stupid party caving, when all is said and done...maybe not on this guy but they'll cave none the less.

It's a pattern. Sometimes I wonder if we'd all be better off if McConnell had lost is KY race with Grimes, ya, there'd be another Democrat in the Senate, but at least McConnell wouldn't be there to lead republicans as Obama's p**** a** b****.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's a pattern. Sometimes I wonder if we'd all be better off if McConnell had lost is KY race with Grimes, ya, there'd be another Democrat in the Senate, but at least McConnell wouldn't be there to lead republicans as Obama's p**** a** b****.
    What makes you think the replacement would not be as bad? Look what happened in the house.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Maybe, had Paul led and got behind McConnell's primary opponent, we wouldn't have had to live with either (McConnell or Grimes).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Thing is, sometimes McConnell has the right idea. He just plays it stupidly. I'm fine with Republicans not giving a hearing. I mean, this **** is all political anyway. So be it. It's not like the dems wouldn't do it.

But damn. Don't announce that you're drawing a line in the sand. Then you've just encouraged your opponent to cross it. Hell, they HAVE to cross it or they lose face. And then you have to defend it. Someone needs to show McConnell how to pull his head out of his ass so he can see the 10 feet in front of him it takes to figure that out. Maybe it's just ego. He just wants to win a fight so he keeps ensuring there'll be one. Just STFU and run out the clock. Win. **** you Obama.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thing is, sometimes McConnell has the right idea. He just plays it stupidly. I'm fine with Republicans not giving a hearing. I mean, this **** is all political anyway. So be it. It's not like the dems wouldn't do it.

But damn. Don't announce that you're drawing a line in the sand. Then you've just encouraged your opponent to cross it. Hell, they HAVE to cross it or they lose face. And then you have to defend it. Someone needs to show McConnell how to pull his head out of his ass so he can see the 10 feet in front of him it takes to figure that out. Maybe it's just ego. He just wants to win a fight so he keeps ensuring there'll be one. Just STFU and run out the clock. Win. **** you Obama.

Oh it's political. It's probably all be for the "base" more so than for fighting the democrats.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

This isn't just McConnell, it is the Republican leadership. Give them all credit for being stupid.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't they pretty much cover everything with either Interstate Commerce or their power to Tax? They pretty much think there is no limit to what they can control with one or the other.

First, the gross infringements of the Wickard v. Filburn decision (by a 8 of 9 justices FDR-packed court) notwithstanding, that provision calls for federal facilitation of interstate commerce largely through uniform tariffs and resolution of disputes between states. Redefinition of the word 'regulate' to mean 'micromanage' is an historically recent development.

Second, the implication in the power to tax is that it is tantamount to the power to collect taxes to carry out constitutionally authorized actions, not any damned thing the .gov may want to tax for.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    First, the gross infringements of the Wickard v. Filburn decision (by a 8 of 9 justices FDR-packed court) notwithstanding, that provision calls for federal facilitation of interstate commerce largely through uniform tariffs and resolution of disputes between states. Redefinition of the word 'regulate' to mean 'micromanage' is an historically recent development.

Second, the implication in the power to tax is that it is tantamount to the power to collect taxes to carry out constitutionally authorized actions, not any damned thing the .gov may want to tax for.
    No argument here.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Senate is holding pro forma sessions every few days during the break to prevent Obama from making a recess appointment to SCOTUS

The concept of "recess appointments" seems really shady. Did they have a decent purpose in the past? Seem like more of an abuse tool today

Top Bottom