• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nicklilnova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    New Castle,IN
    I went to a new gun shop in our area and saw a jeminez 9mm for 179.99 brand new. Are they any better than hi point or not. I havent really heard much about them. A buddy said it was jennings but jeminez bought them out?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You're buddy is right. They are another unholy (in my humble opinion) incarnation of Jennings, hereafter known as TWSNBN. ;)

Hi-Points are hideously ugly but worlds apart from That Who Should Not Be Named in terms of reliability. Hi Points actually function.

I've had reasonably good luck with Kel-Tec who isn't far out of that price range - especially used.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    was a firearm manufacturing company based at various times in Carson City, Nevada, Irvine, California, and Costa Mesa, California. The company's most famous product was the Bryco Arms Model 38 semi-automatic pistol, available in both 32 ACP and 380 ACP calibers (also known as the P-38). The company was owned by Janice Jennings.
    was another brand name for the company's products, having been started in 1978 by Bruce Jennings as an earlier incarnation of what became Bryco Arms, but which also remained a recognizable brand name for Bryco Arms for many years even while Bryco Arms used its own brand name for firearms.
    was founded by George Jennings. It was founded, ironically, because of restrictions imposed on firearms importers as a result of the 1968 Federal gun-control Act. Raven pistols are .25-caliber guns. The company sold about 2 million guns over a 20 year production run.
    (also known as JA) is the current incarnation of the same handgun manufacturing company in Costa Mesa, California which started operations in August 2004 Jimenez Arms is currently searching for a new business location outside of California.

Welcome to Bryco Pistols, Jennings Pistols and Jiminez Pistols

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have owned and shot both the HP9 and the JA9.
    The Hi-Point is a much better made handgun, but is much heavier than the JA9. I had to file and scrape the slide on the JA to obtain semi auto without fingering out a spent shell. The hi-Point I had was ready to go, never had a problem. Both handguns I refer to I purchased new. Do keep in mind that the Hi_point has a lifetime guarantee. The JA might come w/ a lifetime, but how many times has the manufacturing plant switches hands, names, ect.? Go with the ugly Hi-Point if you want to choose between the two.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    You're buddy is right. They are another unholy (in my humble opinion) incarnation of Jennings, hereafter known as TWSNBN. ;)

Hi-Points are hideously ugly but worlds apart from That Who Should Not Be Named in terms of reliability. Hi Points actually function.

I've had reasonably good luck with Kel-Tec who isn't far out of that price range - especially used.

Agreed on all points. :rockwoot: :yesway:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I dunno, being that the first rule of gunfighting is to "have a gun", I'd much rather have a Hi-Point than pepperspray/knives at, say, 30/40 feet.. most sprays won't go that far, and throwing knives at that range could be tricky too..

On another thought, though, what about the new SKKX (I think that's what it's called), the little 9mm about the size of a KelTec 9mm?? I think in stores they're going for about the same money..

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I dunno, being that the first rule of gunfighting is to "have a gun", I'd much rather have a Hi-Point than pepperspray/knives at, say, 30/40 feet.. most sprays won't go that far, and throwing knives at that range could be tricky too..

If they are that far - run away/get cover - use your cell phone, call police.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    No cell phone service where I live, so that's out..

Don't get me wrong, I carry a Glock.. I'd just rather have to fight with a Hi-Point than a knife..

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    The SKKY looks like a Kel-Tec...kinda. I have heard no good about them. Also have a friend who traded a Hi-Point for a Jiminez,:dunno: and gave boot!:dunno: He did this, THEN told me about it. I said as long as you are happy.....

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No cell phone service where I live, so that's out..

Don't get me wrong, I carry a Glock.. I'd just rather have to fight with a Hi-Point than a knife..

I hear you, but you don't need service to be able to call 911 with a cell phone all you need is a little battery life.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I hear you, but you don't need service to be able to call 911 with a cell phone all you need is a little battery life.

You're getting two things confused. You can call 911 from a deactivated cell-phone (ie you don't pay for service on it), but you still need to have service (ie be within reach of a tower).

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Bingo, Nate! We're not talking a little service, spotty service, I'm talking about NO SERVICE.. out here, your cell phone is about as good as a masonry brick, except the brick would cause more damage should you drop it on someone's foot..

The nearest LE headquarters is about 15 minutes away. Unless they had units in the area, which would be a fluke at best, you're going to be waiting at least that long for an officer to arrive. The Fire Department is even further, and is all volunteer, so by the time they have enough guys in the station to start a truck, then drive 20 minutes to get here, my house would be smoldering rubble..

"When Seconds Count... they're Minutes Away" comes to mind out here..

Hiram, I'm thinking about checking out one of the Sccy guns, just to see what it's like.. I don't care for safety levers and stuff, but I'd like to see one just for the heck of it..

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I was also a little surprised to see the "just call 911" response on a gun board. Yes, police should be called, but to be reliant solely on the police? We all know how ineffective some of the non-lethal options can be too, especially if dealing with a drugged up offender or multiple assailants. I'd take a High-point if it was all I could afford.

nicklilnova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    New Castle,IN
    Ok thanks I was just wanting a little info on them before I decided. My buddy has a used Taurus 92 I think.. It holds 17 rounds and it's nickel plated for about 400. I will probably grab that.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    400 isn't a bad price. back in july i bought a nickel plated PT92AFS that was nickel plated or more or less looked like brushed stainless, it was a non rail model with a 17 round mag. I paid exactly 400 for it. They are good guns for the money.

Top Bottom