Its not our imagination. FB *IS* playing us.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So the evil FB corporation playbook is as follows:
    1. Bad story comes out from a FB whistleblower.
    2. Accidentally let FB website get shut down.
    3. Frustrated FB users cannot discuss the bad story for ## hours.
    4. Frustrated FB users cannot feed their addiction (*) and realize how much they miss FB.
    5. FB website is miraculously restored a day later.
    6. FB users are so happy to get their FB "fix" they forget about bad story.
    7. FB continues cashing checks and their wallet gets fatter.

(*) This would be like telling a chain smoker that tobacco will kill them and showing them horrific photos of their impending death. Then taking away their cigarettes for a day. When you give them a new carton of cigarettes they will be thrilled and could care less about their impending horrific death.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So the evil FB corporation playbook is as follows:
    1. Bad story comes out from a FB whistleblower.
    2. Accidentally let FB website get shut down.
    3. Frustrated FB users cannot discuss the bad story for ## hours.
    4. Frustrated FB users cannot feed their addiction (*) and realize how much they miss FB.
    5. FB website is miraculously restored a day later.
    6. FB users are so happy to get their FB "fix" they forget about bad story.
    7. FB continues cashing checks and their wallet gets fatter.

(*) This would be like telling a chain smoker that tobacco will kill them and showing them horrific photos of their impending death. Then taking away their cigarettes for a day. When you give them a new carton of cigarettes they will be thrilled and could care less about their impending horrific death.
    Who knows...but whatever the whistle-blower had to say (and yes, I watched and listened to what she had to say) wasn't going to cause a hiccup in their operation anyway, so this seems far fetched. The ONLY thing that Facebook cares about related to the whistleblower is possible government regulation, not a reaction from the users. it's not like this was the first negative story.

[ETA]

That Facebook spiked their own websites to stop unauthorized access makes more sense to me, but I am just speculating.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hammer and Nigel reporting Facebook has been down for a few hours. :dunno:

:scratch: Strangely, I didn't miss it?...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We are grand parents. The kids / grandkids use fb for communicating their activities, events, team schedules etc. I tried to avoid it but it is difficult to shut down when it is a link to the grandkids. Grandma would be even more difficult to live with if I shut it down. I hate that reality.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We are grand parents. The kids / grandkids use fb for communicating their activities, events, team schedules etc. I tried to avoid it but it is difficult to shut down when it is a link to the grandkids. Grandma would be even more difficult to live with if I shut it down. I hate that reality.
    You and they don't have phones? I do get it, but I still think it's nuts. My mom is 99 years old. I can still talk to her on the phone. If Facebook was the only method to communicate with her, I'd be SOL.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

That's what I was referring to above. I have been lucky nothing has forced it (yet.)

My girls were just old enough that Facebook was not a thing until they were old enough to make their own decisions. When they did do Facebook, both of them embarrassingly overshared and deleted their accounts. Hopefully, that bad experience will be passed along to the grandkids.

If Facebook became THE way that my grandkids communicated, I would have to sign up.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Facebook down most of the day, yet life goes on. Not the end of the world. I wonder how many will commit suicide because they couldn't access their brag-book.

Reactions: Leo

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have avoided Facebook like the plague. I see people at work on it constantly when they are supposed to be actually working.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The "whistleblower's" assertion is that the real scandal is Facebook not censoring, controlling, and manipulating speech *enough*. :rolleyes:

Pro-surveillance state agitprop.

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    If I were on FB I might find this interesting. I am not, so I don't.
    After all the issues regarding censorship, Zuckerberg giving a lot of money to in essence influence elections, etc. I won't be.

Top Bottom