• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Now Grandkids!!!! Whoo HOO!! Exactly! Drove 20 hours round trip last month to visit my daughter s family. Holding my 8 year old granddaughter on my lap while watching the entire Harry Potter movie made it all worth it. I know that won't last much longer.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    You'll get over it... Dropped off my 19 year old at Wabash 3 weeks ago. 16 year old is a Jr. this year and wants to go to Purdue. So 2 more years for him...

I'm saving on energy usage, no more 2 pots of coffee/day, crazy laundry, food, gas, you name it.

They need to get out of the nest at some point.

:ingo:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    All those days trying to get them to grow up never gets you ready for when they do. Bitter-sweet I reckon.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Sometimes it's good when they grow up. My son came home today to help me put in a ceiling fan.

Sometimes they still need help, even though they're supposed to be already grown up... He was remarking how hard it was to find 5.56, and of course how the price has jumped if/when you do find some. Had to be the good dad, and bail him out. What if the situation we're in keeps getting worse, and he gets caught with no ammo. Sent him home with a few extra mags, and about 1,500 rounds. Also gave him my old battle belt, as he just has a vest right now.

I’d be happy to help with the next ceiling fan :):

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    About a month ago I was complaining to my wife that we didn't see our kids enough. They have good jobs, families of their own and a life.

She looked at me like I was an idiot (happens a lot). Says " We worked hard to raise independent, successful children. Don't complain about it!".

Don

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've gone from hardly seeing my son to seeing him too much. After college last year, he moved to Kentucky for a job and we saw him very little.

Then the 'rona took his job away and after 5 months, he found another one in Michigan. So in the last month we've seen him too much. My other son and I went to Kentucky to load his stuff up and drove it to Grand Rapids and stored it in my Mom's basement while he looked for an apartment; now we're going north in 2 weeks to move it from the basement to his apartment. And he is coming to our place today for his sister's birthday and again over labor day.

His Mom loves it.

I feel like he should throw some rent money my way.

Butch Williams

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Twelve Mile
    I've been there and done that. Unfortunately, mine was a bit tougher. Today, we said our final goodbyes, to my Dad.
    He was 89, and had suffered from dementia for quite a number of years. While his passing is a blessing for him and the rest of the family, that doesn't make it much easier to handle, right now.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've been there and done that. Unfortunately, mine was a bit tougher. Today, we said our final goodbyes, to my Dad.
    He was 89, and had suffered from dementia for quite a number of years. While his passing is a blessing for him and the rest of the family, that doesn't make it much easier to handle, right now.

So sorry for your loss. Its tough to say goodbye, but even tougher when that goodbye is final.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    College would have been easy for me with my sons, try getting the call from your older son like I got a few weeks ago, Pop's we are getting some new equipment and flying out later today.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I feel you pain Butch, my father had Parkinson's. He was 82 when he told me to get my a$$ to Florida and start hospice on him. Miss you Master Chief....

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It was tough when my oldest son went away to Indiana state, tougher than I expected it to be, after he graduated he got a great job in Lafayette Louisiana, it was horrible the day he left. I was a wreck but, being me, refused to show it. Anytime my wife wanted to talk about him being gone, I’d change the subject. It was that way until we went to visit him a couple months later, and I saw that he was surrounded by good people and had an amazing job. All of a sudden, my first born kid was a man with a lot of responsibilities, and he was handling it well! We made that trip several times while he was living there, and have some great memories of the place. Last year he landed a job back here, and we hardly ever see him.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It was tough when my oldest son went away to Indiana state, tougher than I expected it to be, after he graduated he got a great job in Lafayette Louisiana, it was horrible the day he left. I was a wreck but, being me, refused to show it. Anytime my wife wanted to talk about him being gone, I’d change the subject. It was that way until we went to visit him a couple months later, and I saw that he was surrounded by good people and had an amazing job. All of a sudden, my first born kid was a man with a lot of responsibilities, and he was handling it well! We made that trip several times while he was living there, and have some great memories of the place. Last year he landed a job back here, and we hardly ever see him.

That's how I have felt when each of our kids have went off to school to be honest. Just seemed like they were where they needed to be and that each had seemed to pick the right path for them (at least so far). It's tough as our son is 8+ hours away by car. Our daughter is only about 1 1/2 hours away. Has been a bit more strained due to Covid, and my son being gone for an internship this summer and not coming home in between that and going back to school.

Will be interesting when they finish up. I suspect my daughter may stay close, but seems like my son has other ideas once he is out.
    My 2 never really got along so it's more stressful in ways when they are both home.

Top Bottom