Is there a "proper" spot on the top rail for a Red-Dot???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I am a complete novice to red-dots. A couple of weeks ago Midway had a killer deal on some Bushnel Red-Dots, so I bought one. This gave me the excuse to build another AR-15.:rockwoot:

I have a ton of experience with AR-15's, but have always used a scope or the stock iron sights. This is my 1st red-dot. I have seen a bunch of pics of AR's fitted with Red-Dots and it seems they are placed all over the top rail. I have seen them placed in the middle of the rail, all the way to the front of the rail and at all stations in between.

How do you find the "proper place" to fit your red-dot?

Thanks in advance to the collective wisdom of INGO.....

Edit-I am referring to the rail attached to the upper receiver.

Last edited:

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I am a novice at the red dots also. I have read, from a lot of 'pros', that it should be placed as far forward as possible. I am not sure if that means to the end of the upper receiver or to the end of a piciatinny rail, if attached.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm no expert Sam, but for me, I like them mounted above the ejection port area. With them being that far forward and away from your face, it gives you more of an unobstructed view down range. With a scope, I'm trying to look into the optic. With a red dot, I just shoulder the gun and the dot is there. There is zero focus on the optic, and it just blurs out.

Ive tryed other peoples guns where they have them mounted completely rearward, and I have to find the dot. It makes it harder and a lot slower for me.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I like the center of the red-dot scope over the back of the ejection port. This puts the back of it about where a scope would be, for the red dot that I have. I tried it more forward like others suggest but I didn't like it as much. I see the target more with my left eye and my right eye naturally puts the dot on the target. I am left eye dominant if that matters, and shoot right handed.

Do whatever works best for you and ignore the internet commandos. What works best for someone else may not work best for you. Don't succumb to peer pressure.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Honestly it's a personal preference. A lot of it depends on how far out you run the stock. I feel that the further forward you put it on the upper receiver the easier it is to aquire the target from a low ready start. Just don't bridge the upper receiver and the handguard. That drives me nuts when I see that

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I prefer it as far forward on the upper receiver (not the hand guard) as possible for the reasons that others have mentioned. I think it makes it easier to acquire the dot, and the scope itself tends to disappear.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm no expert Sam, but for me, I like them mounted above the ejection port area. With them being that far forward and away from your face, it gives you more of an unobstructed view down range. With a scope, I'm trying to look into the optic. With a red dot, I just shoulder the gun and the dot is there. There is zero focus on the optic, and it just blurs out.

Ive tryed other peoples guns where they have them mounted completely rearward, and I have to find the dot. It makes it harder and a lot slower for me.

You are correct. I know this for a fact because I feel the same way. I say the forward part of the receiver. I'm right, therefore you must be right also. :yesway:

I have found that the further forward it's mounted the more comfortable it is to run with both eyes open. YMMV

You are also right. For me, this is very important. I'm a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant. A properly placed red dot is the only way I can shoot with both eyes open. It's slower to engage when you have to first acquire the target with both eyes, then close one to engage.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Same here for me as some others have stated. I mount it as far forward on the upper receiver itself as it can go without bridging it to the top of the Free Float handrail.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have found that the further forward it's mounted the more comfortable it is to run with both eyes open. YMMV

Always shot everything both eyes open.
    It is most comfortable for me (gun hand corresponds with dominant eye)., always what I've done...........until the internet, didn't realize folks closed an eye to shoot.

I mean, at the range I saw some folks shooting with both eyes closed (had to be).............

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I shoot with both eyes closed. I usually hit something.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Red dot sight placement...........depends on the type of reddot.
    Those little TRS25 jobbies..........like them closer to the eye if a primary.
    Might try to clock one a bit fwd, as a backup.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Farther forward the better.
    Better field vision down range. You don't block your view allowing better side vision as to allow you to be able to see potential threats and or targets

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What about the "red dots" that have a choice of reticles, in addition to a dot? Like say, a dot within a circle, or a crosshair within a circle? Same rules apply? Farther forward = better? I have a couple of Lucids that have the choice of 3 or 4 options.

Edit: I guess it works just fine. Mine is already as far forward on the receiver as it will go. :):

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Picked up another Aimpoint Micro from INGO's own, "the Bubba Effect" here's where I have a couple mounted.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Is there a "proper" spot on the top rail for a Red-Dot???

Pfftt!

Don't listen to these guys.
    Placement of a red dot is extremely critical when it comes to rifle mounting. I have found that you need to mount it between your face and the muzzle end of the gun in order to make it function correctly. Anywhere else, and it just make it difficult to see through.

You're Welcome. :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom