merica.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Iran our worst enemy? I'm not yet convinced that our worst enemy isn't our own government. I think there's more threat from within, especially economically, than what's going on in Iran.

He's merely speaking of his opinion that Iran is our worst external enemy. I'm not sure I agree with him, but his position does have its adherents and arguments in favor of it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just wonder if you are aware that Iran is the only nation state currently directly responsible for the deaths of American soldiers as a deliberate policy?

Too bad we decided years ago to not only not do anything about it, but to not even care about it as a country. Every time I suggested we should do something about it, I was insulted by both Republicans and Democrats and called a warmonger.

I gave up.

That said, why should we care what the Iranians do to some Syrians? They all hate us, so let them kill each other. It's less for us to deal with in the long run.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Is everyone forgetting that Iran is making nukes? Also, is everyone forgetting that it was Syria and Iran who were and are supplying foreign fighters, arms, and training against us in Iraq and Afghanistan? They have been killing our soldiers for the last decade almost, and probably more than the actual Iraqis did from what I understand.

If Syria falls and becomes a democracy, it will lead to destabilization of Iran at the least, and at best the toppling of Iran, our last major adversary in the region. Of course Iran still could topple without our interference, but it is apparent they will have nukes soon, and once they have nukes, they become untouchable.

Like I said, I really, really hate to say it, but the time to act is now. I never said to put boots on the ground, since Syria would probably make Iraq look like a picnic. But there are things we can and should be doing overtly. WWRRD?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You and I and about a half dozen other people nationwide are about the only ones who remember that Syria and Iran are killing Americans. Nobody else cared about it for the last 10 years, so what makes you think anybody will suddenly start caring about it now? WalMart is still open, and the TV still works, and that's what's important to 99.99% of the American people. That aside, LET them kill each other. As I said above, less for us to deal with in the future.

As far as nukes go? We've become the proverbial paper tiger. We aren't going to do anything about it until they detonate one in New York Harbor or Austin, TX, and then we'll pretend we don't know who it was. The Iranians will say we have to prove it, and the rest of the world will go along with that, and they'll all dance in the streets over several million dead Americans. The only thing that can stop them is genocide, and we aren't willing to do that as a country.

If Syria falls, it will NOT become a democracy. It will become either a military dictatorship, heavily wrapped up in religion , or a religious theocracy with a military full of zealots. But no matter what it becomes, they'll still hate America.

Jim Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    If Syria falls and becomes a democracy, it will lead to destabilization of Iran at the least, and at best the toppling of Iran.

But..but...but I thought the goal of America was to spread democracy!

The politicians said so.

Come on, where are those cheerleaders for the Arab Spring?!?!

Jim Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Anymore, I am taking the same attitude with other nations as I have with other folks I meet on the street.

I have the natural right to be well armed.

You have the same right.

I treat every person as if they are well armed and ready to exercise their natural rights.

I operate in the understanding that others do the same.

Such is Liberty.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    He'd let 300 Marines get killed then he'd cut and run.

What is really sickening is that our ambassador made the decision that caused those deaths and did so deliberately. Within two weeks of the explosion, a group of SEALs evaluated security (and found it pathetic) and also introduced a device that remotely detonates vehicle bombs (which they tested on a drive through the city in which they caused the explosion of a building in which bombs were being constructed). Our illustrious ambassador declared that the embassy had survived several years of war without incident and that such a device could harm Lebanese citizens, and refused to allow them to be installed on the perimeter of the embassy complex. We all know the Paul Harvey version of this story.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    If Syria falls and becomes a democracy, it will lead to destabilization of Iran at the least, and at best the toppling of Iran, our last major adversary in the region.

Thats debatable .... Everyone thought Democracy in Palestine was a good thing, until they elected Hamas. Now all a sudden democracy isnt so great for Palestine :dunno: Would democracy be so good for Syria if they elected Hezbollah(sp)?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thats debatable .... Everyone thought Democracy in Palestine was a good thing, until they elected Hamas. Now all a sudden democracy isnt so great for Palestine :dunno: Would democracy be so good for Syria if they elected Hezbollah(sp)?
    I couldn't see Hezbollah getting a foothold in a post Assad Syria. They've been very vocal in their support of Assad and, if the Free Syrian forces win out in the end Hezbollah will find themselves on the out, as will Iran. They're much more likely to go the route of Turkey and ally with them than with the Iranian backed groups.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I say we pull every last troop , marine , squid and airman back to our country and let the rest of the world kill itself .

We've had our nose in everybody else's business for far too long and now quite a few , if not most of the world hates us and can't wait to see us fall .

How did the whole free Lybia thing work out ? Most folks don't know cause you don't hear a thing about it nowadays .

It didn't work at all .

If you dig a little you'll find they're still fighting each other for who's gonna be in control , when they're not beating the snot out and killing of African immigrants that Qaddafi employed .

IMO , Syria will turn into WW3 and considering the shape we're in , we don't need any of that mess .

Bottom line , we need to start minding our own damn business instead of trying to export / force our way of life onto everyone else .

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because Russia and China have such a long history of bowing to American pressure?

It's not our fight. We should mind our own business until it becomes our fight. And once that happens, we need to ask ourselves one simple question, answer it honestly, and then do it:

What would Attila do?

I promise I'm not singling you out this evening. Just in case it seems that way. You just make interesting points.

Completely agree about the Russia/China influence thing. Attempting to negotiate with them for any reason in any way is just an exercise in futility.

But the part about waiting until it's our business is historically risky too. At the risk of using the tired WW2 example, look what happens when you MYOB and essentially ignore the threat.

I'd be willing to risk waiting on the chance that the need to deal with it might never arise IF, and ONLY IF, we actually dealt with it like Attila. But since that will NEVER happen, I'd prefer to be a little more proactive in determine our fate.

Not saying Syria is one we act on. Just arguing for a more measured approach to foreign action rather than a default "not my problem (yet)" response.

Top Bottom