Is a 45-70 1895 Marlin Dark Series a good compromise?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County

A 45/70 is a heavy recoil rifle, heavier bullet, more recoil. Muzzle brakes/porting increase muzzle blast.
    For a light fast handling lever rifle, look for an older/used Marlin in 30/30 or .35 Rem. Either will make a good deer rifle in Indiana. Ammo for the 30/30 is available nearly everywhere.
    Hang on to that .270. It's a good long range rifle. If recoil and muzzle flip is a problem, look into reduced recoil loadings. My experience with heavy recoil in .270, was with my father's lightweight model 70. He reloaded heavier bullets in it. With no recoil pad, thoroughly an unpleasant rifle to shoot.
    Now if you still don't like the way a bolt gun carrys, look into a single shot. I own a H&R in .270, took deer with it. The one draw back with it is weight, recoil is very manageable. If you decide to go that way look into CVA Scout V2.
    :cool:≤≥≤ Duce

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've tried probably a dozen .45-70 factory loads and the recoil is variable anywhere from light to "I'mma need rotator cuff surgery if I keep shooting those"

Top Bottom