• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Idiocracy is spreading at an alarming rate.

We have several road signs around our house with holes in them. Everytime they put new ones up it is about a week or two before they also have holes in them. And everytime they paint the bridge, the same hooligans I imagine are coming back and spray painting very deragatory and racist text on the bridge. It's never ending.

Truth's I have come to know,

(1) You can not fix stupid. You can not even adjust it.

(2) The gene pool is alarmingly shallow and the stupid are reproducing at alarming rates. These kids have no chance. Hence the idiocracy you speak of.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Used to be a nice shelter with a grand stone fireplace at Pearson Mill SRA, Missinewa until someone torched it leaving only the fireplace standing with a pentagram spray painted upon it. Shameful.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    You'd think that the availability of trail cams would enable some of these "fine folks" to be captured.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha......
    We need more cameras, drones, bugs in our life. I don't know your politics or philosophy, but certainly you can see how society evolves these things for the public good. To control 'the stupid' and eventually the 'uppity'. Double edged sword. Not so black and white eh? Do you want the Wild West, or the Swiss pastoral. Or something in between? How about we divide America up into 'free zones' and 'controlled zones' and let citizens decide with their feet. And then one day the free zone attacks the control zone or vice versa. Not easy :cool:rganizing the world....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha......
    We need more cameras, drones, bugs in our life. I don't know your politics or philosophy, but certainly you can see how society evolves these things for the public good. To control 'the stupid' and eventually the 'uppity'. Double edged sword. Not so black and white eh? Do you want the Wild West, or the Swiss pastoral. Or something in between? How about we divide America up into 'free zones' and 'controlled zones' and let citizens decide with their feet. And then one day the free zone attacks the control zone or vice versa. Not easy :cool:rganizing the world....

Your solution to the problem then? Are you volunteering to stake out the problem areas and confront the culprits? Or maybe your concern is what might be seen of your range behavior?

They would probably just shoot the trail cams.

Yes, or steal them if you were foolish enough not to hide them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know for a fact it has been suggested to the park officials there to start charging $5 or even $10 per person, but their stock answer has always been, "we don't have the manpower to do it". They could pay a range officers salary just by the money they collected on a good Saturday at that place, but it doesn't seem that option has ever been seriously considered.

Anyway, glad you got to go shooting, wish I could have made it.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Henryville is nice Mon-Thur or very early on Saturday. I haven't had any bad experiences up there but I have left on 3 occasions when I saw who started pulling up. Once was 3 car loads of youths with cases of beer. I didn't think the equation of beer, inexperience and testosterone would mix well so I left. I am betting all rounds didn't head down range that day.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Henryville is nice Mon-Thur or very early on Saturday. I haven't had any bad experiences up there but I have left on 3 occasions when I saw who started pulling up. Once was 3 car loads of youths with cases of beer. I didn't think the equation of beer, inexperience and testosterone would mix well so I left. I am betting all round didn't head down range that day.

Kids, guns, alcohol.....................Epic fail.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Idiocracy is spreading at an alarming rate.

We have several road signs around our house with holes in them. Everytime they put new ones up it is about a week or two before they also have holes in them. And everytime they paint the bridge, the same hooligans I imagine are coming back and spray painting very deragatory and racist text on the bridge. It's never ending.

Shooting road signs isn't specific to any range activity - it happens all over.

Browning, if they're different people - try and get the shooters to use the painter instead of signs for target practice! :D

jasonville43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jasonville, Indiana
    I gotta say if I saw 3 carloads of youngins unload guns and beer at a range I would pack up as well and dial the local law enforcement office! Hell it wouldnt matter if they were young or old.....Drinking and shooting range do not MIX!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I shoot at Henryville too and I will be the first one to say that there are some pretty immature people that go out there. Some of which have no business having a gun. Its one reason I avoid it during the weekend and holidays. I try to go when everyone else is at work or school.

I used to go to the Henryville range and I have taken it a step further; I do not go there ever. I will not go back because the company there makes it way too dangerous in my opinion.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    As bad as I hate to say it I think free causes problems. I over see my agency's range. One of only two PD ranges in this county. It is used by the FBI, BATF, ICE and you name it. A pretty nice outdoor range with 25 firing lines, concrete sidewalks,automatic target system, two story range building ect. This was donated and funded by a local company. For the past 9 years any agency or group could use the place for the asking. In those years the place was practically destroyed. The outdoor lighting was shot out. The movable barricades shot up. The target system control box shot out. Trash every where. I was given the task a year ago to get it under control. While things are slowly getting fixed and cleaned up we are still having agency's damage things. I am hoping to catch someone tearing up or shooting something up other than targets. They will be getting kicked off for good and on the spot. I can only image what a public range would be like. I can't understand it for the life of me. It really ticks me off what people do.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    As bad as I hate to say it I think free causes problems. I over see my agency's range. One of only two PD ranges in this county. It is used by the FBI, BATF, ICE and you name it. A pretty nice outdoor range with 25 firing lines, concrete sidewalks,automatic target system, two story range building ect. This was donated and funded by a local company. For the past 9 years any agency or group could use the place for the asking. In those years the place was practically destroyed. The outdoor lighting was shot out. The movable barricades shot up. The target system control box shot out. Trash every where. I was given the task a year ago to get it under control. While things are slowly getting fixed and cleaned up we are still having agency's damage things. I am hoping to catch someone tearing up or shooting something up other than targets. They will be getting kicked off for good and on the spot. I can only image what a public range would be like. I can't understand it for the life of me. It really ticks me off what people do.
    Yeah, unfortunately people are like that in all forms. I was told by a local indoor range employee once that some of the worst offenders were LEO types. I don't mean that as a knock on LEOs but just to point out as you have that they come from all walks of life. It's truly sad the way some have a disregard for anyone or anything else.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Yeah, unfortunately people are like that in all forms. I was told by a local indoor range employee once that some of the worst offenders were LEO types. I don't mean that as a knock on LEOs but just to point out as you have that they come from all walks of life. It's truly sad the way some have a disregard for anyone or anything else.

You just have to put some people in the right situation imo to be able to see them for how they really are. For some LEO it's an unwatched evidence room, but you just never really know what a person can stoop to.

On the other hand, if they aren't paying for it themselves and it's their department or a higher up paying, it might be some of them trying to stick it to their boss at your expense.

IMO I would pay and get the entire place fixed up, and then only allow say ICE's guys or etc each department's guys in at a time. Record who showed up (via a card system or and employee at a welcome desk, or something similar) and note the names. After each time the agency leaves, go take a walk and take stock of everything. Anything that is damaged, send an email to the groups boss. (make sure to add that the rentors owe for the damage of any of the range's property to the rent paperwork) I think the person who did it would think twice when his boss starts throwing a fit over some shot out lights, and takes that frustration out on the group that went. :twocents:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You just have to put some people in the right situation imo to be able to see them for how they really are. For some LEO it's an unwatched evidence room, but you just never really know what a person can stoop to.

On the other hand, if they aren't paying for it themselves and it's their department or a higher up paying, it might be some of them trying to stick it to their boss at your expense.

IMO I would pay and get the entire place fixed up, and then only allow say ICE's guys or etc each department's guys in at a time. Record who showed up (via a card system or and employee at a welcome desk, or something similar) and note the names. After each time the agency leaves, go take a walk and take stock of everything. Anything that is damaged, send an email to the groups boss. (make sure to add that the rentors owe for the damage of any of the range's property to the rent paperwork) I think the person who did it would think twice when his boss starts throwing a fit over some shot out lights, and takes that frustration out on the group that went. :twocents:

You described how it was when it was new. The range master at the time got lax or burnt out on messing with it. I am going to start being one major PITA. You know a guy hates to be that way but I don't see any other solution. Mark my word..this range is going to be right. Once it is I will be attempting to have a few open range days a month. Open to everyone providing I can convince the risk assessment folks that it is the right thing to do for the community. That is my hopes.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As bad as I hate to say it I think free causes problems. I over see my agency's range. One of only two PD ranges in this county. It is used by the FBI, BATF, ICE and you name it...

I would probably start there, tell them to go get their own range, keep yours for the local municipalities. Maybe you'll have to go to some kind of swipe card access to have a record of who has been there? If my local two bit gym can do it surely a county could come up with a way. (and don't call me shirley) :)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have wondered what to do if I ever witnessed some act of vandalism with a firearm.
    I feel confident that my fear of confronting an ignoramus with a firearm would overcome my desire to call him out (however strong a temptation that might be).
    I guess being a good witness is the best approach, as is most often the case. :dunno:

Top Bottom