Interacting with police when you're armed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well I haven't been pulled over in 20 some years. However, since I live in a state that requires you to inform, and I travel a lot, I plan to act just as Tim and Matt suggest. Yes, I know it is none of the officers business, and I don't like the intrusion either, but when I am driving it is not usually just to pass the time. I am on my way somewhere and would prefer to have things go smoothly and be on my way. Some of my attitude may be because I used to be LE and don't really see them as the enemy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    *Knocking on wood* I haven't been pulled over or had any interaction with a LEO in quite some time. I've seen these threads almost on a weekly basis since I've been on INGO. I've also seen videos and advice such as those contained in this thread so far. The advice contained in them seems perfectly reasonable but I can certainly see why those INGOers that have had some of these horror stories happen to them now refuse to notify.

As to one comment in the video above about "it's not a big deal for the officer to disarm you to run the serial numbers"...The idea of pulling a loaded and cocked weapon from it's holster for a situation that is not life threatening--that just sounds foolish and more importantly dangerous. Loaded guns should remain in their holsters.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I will say if I'm disarmed for no reason, I would have a problem with it. I would of course comply with the officer but if I felt their actions were inappropriate I would file a formal complaint.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The best result from informing in Indiana is that you get out of a ticket that you deserve to get. The worst is that a series of bad assumptions and poor judgement calls by either you or the officer gets someone dead. The average is that nothing bad happens and you go on your way with a ticket.

Risk analysis of probability versus severity says don't inform, but everyone gets to make their own decision.

Included in your risk assessment you should consider the consequences of the officer discovering you're armed on his/her own. I would think that would escalate things to a much higher level than informing them. If a cop is going to be a jerk, he's probably going to ask you step out of the car and he's probably looking for a reason to give you a hard time. If that's true, how do you think he/she is going to react to suspecting you're armed?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How many of you have had your gun yanked from your holster by an over zealous cop in Indiana, had the serial number run, tossed on the ground or trunk, been drawn on by the cop, or been otherwise molested?

That would be Officer Cowboy in Broad Ripple. Overzealous (the stop is very likely valid)? No, just sloppy and having a bad life at the time.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ying_in_broad_ripple_indy_gimp_encounter.html

I don't like having guns pointed at me. My doctor (the 5th of 4 out of 5 doctors) says that I am allergic to lead.

In fairness, plenty of other deputy Sheriffs, troopers, Lafayette, West Lafayette cops have said nothing. When I hit my deer the state cop just wanted to see my license and then he ran (he actually ran) back to the car to call me in, but only said "I've never seen that [someone carrying two guns]" and flipped me back the pink card.

Pulled over for speeding on the way to the NRA Annual Meeting in Louisville. Young state cop came up on passenger side, saw my 1911 on my belt and revolver in glove box, never said a word, just told me to slow down.

A Wheatfield cop wanted to see my pink card as my coffee cravings interrupted his "macking" (as you kids say) on the countergirl.

Overall cops have been cool, but I am not going to inject anything into his conversation about my traffic infraction. I am not doing anything wrong, why talk about it?

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Unlike some, I don't view the police as the enemy and I don't see every interaction with them as a test of my Constitutional rights.

If I'm pulled over for a traffic violation and I want things to go smoothly (and I do), I'll greet the officer as he walks up. When he asks for my ID, which is attached in the same ID carrier in my wallet as my permit, I will hand him both, point out my permit and inform him I am armed.

It's never caused me a problem and I've yet to get a speeding ticket in Valpo. I have gotten a written warning only. Was it because of my demeanor and openness with the officer? Probably so. If I were stand-offish and ranting and raving about "knowing my rights" I would have likely spent more time I didn't care to waste on the side of the road and probably left with a ticket.

I see the advice given by Matt as common courtesy and the best course of action if your goal is to have an uneventful interaction with the officer. It has certainly worked well for me.

You don't have to have an attitude with the officer or have an f'them mentality to exercise your rights. Simply keeping quiet is how I do it. The officer has no need to know if you are armed or not. If they are good at their job they will treat everyone they stop as armed and whatever you tell them shouldn't matter.
    My beliefs are nothing good can come from informing, only bad or nothing. If an officer doesn't care than he doesn't care and if he is a nervous anti-gun zealot then he will disarm you and more than likely violate your rights in some way. The whole getting off with a warning thing doesn't fly in my book. I have gotten tickets and I have received warnings, but I have never informed.
    I don't believe it is a good idea to possibly interject more tension into an already tense situation. So I keep quiet...that's completely different than being dishonest BTW

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If the police are not your us enemy, then why do they need to know you have a gun? His is that helping officer safety? Wouldn't a criminal hide the fact that he had an illegal gun? It doesn't make you less likely to get a ticket, or a friend of LEO just because you have a LTCH. Frankly, if I were a cop and I pulled you over and you blurted out that you have a weapon then I'd likely assume one of two things based on how you happened to utter the words: 1) You are bragging by sort of saying "hey I have a gun too", or 2) You are not mentally stable and fear a gun fight for no reason. The latter would lead me to confiscate, even if you were just nervous and only sounded like a cuke, or maybe all I heard was "I have a gun" amidst the loud traffic.

Face it, just notifying for no reason is a no win situation for you. Zero benefit, and added risk. If the cop asks you or if you have to exit the car, then notify obviously, but don't open a can of worms just because you think it will add warm and fuzzy feelings between you and the cop, because that is unlikely.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If the police are not your us enemy, then why do they need to know you have a gun? His is that helping officer safety? Wouldn't a criminal hide the fact that he had an illegal gun? It doesn't make you less likely to get a ticket, or a friend of LEO just because you have a LTCH. Frankly, if I were a cop and I pulled you over and you blurted out that you have a weapon then I'd likely assume one of two things based on how you happened to utter the words: 1) You are bragging by sort of saying "hey I have a gun too", or 2) You are not mentally stable and fear a gun fight for no reason. The latter would lead me to confiscate, even if you were just nervous and only sounded like a cuke, or maybe all I heard was "I have a gun" amidst the loud traffic.

Face it, just notifying for no reason is a no win situation for you. Zero benefit, and added risk. If the cop asks you or if you have to exit the car, then notify obviously, but don't open a can of worms just because you think it will add warm and fuzzy feelings between you and the cop, because that is unlikely.

Well again, mainly because where I live and many states I travel in, it is required to notify. If I lived in Indiana and never left the state, I might very well do as a lot of you say and just keep my mouth shut about it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm in the do not inform crowd. I was pulled over recently by an ISP trooper on my way home from Winimac. I did not inform about the MP9c OC'd on my right hip. He did not ask if I was armed, and I have no clue if he noticed the gun as he said nothing about it.

He did ask where I was coming from and I told him Winimac, so he could probably infer there was a good chance of there being guns in the car.

In the end, he gave me a warning.

In reference to doing so because his wallet is on the same side as his gun, soon after I started carrying I moved my wallet to my other side. This was after carrying my wallet in the same pocket for over 40 years. One of the reasons I did so, was to avoid any problems where I was going for my wallet with my gun there. Problem solved.

For me, unless it is the law I will say nothing.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yea, for the reason above, and that someone might end up handling my loaded weapon, I think you people who inform are not all there. Why do you want to invite escalating the situation like this? You don't know if you're going to get a nice experienced and well trained cop or a scared rookie.

It is a freaking traffic stop, and your gun is not an officer safety issue, don't make it an issue. I mean really, you guys sound so eager to prove that you are nice to police, that you are more than happy for them to potentially disarm you, search your vehicle, etc. It is almost like you want more interaction with the police. I would just want to leave. Nothing against the officer, but I have better things to do with my time than sitting on the side of the road with cars zipping dangerously close by.

Well aren't you just an all knowing sage.

My advice is this, if its really well concealed (in your pocket, little to no printing, ankle holster, back pocket away from your wallet etc.) then don't say anything, if its going to be at all noticeable, such as iwb close to your wallet, openly, laying in the seat, something like this, simply be polite to the officer and tell him/her. Not all cops are morons, personally every cop I've ever dealt with were really nice guys. If the escalate things and draw on you, they're over reacting because you're liscened to carry a gun. An officer can only draw on someone if they feel a legitimate threat. Being liscened does not give them the right to poteiotionally shoot you, unless of course you give them a reason which is unlikely. This is just my advice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well again, mainly because where I live and many states I travel in, it is required to notify. If I lived in Indiana and never left the state, I might very well do as a lot of you say and just keep my mouth shut about it.

I thought this was Indiana specific?

Does rhino owe me another case of .45 for the Kirk's First Law invocation?:dunno:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've seen this, and this is clearly a unique case.

That's like showing a single video of a 5'2" man with red hair beating his dog and concluding all 5'2" red headed men are thereby more likely to beat animals.

Yea it is unique. The guy was a major A hole. But the fact remains that must notify laws are stupid, because the only threat to officer safety would be someone who would not tell the cop that he has a (most likely illegal) gun. So the must notify laws only punish law abiding citizens. That is why notifying is not a good path for civil liberties.

Notify any time you want, I just don't think it sets a good precedent, and again, it serves no purpose normally. But yea I'd notify if I had guns in the back seat, like when driving to the range, or had to get out of the car. From a safety standpoint, you just want to ensure that you never give a cop a surprise. A traffic stop is not a crime, it is an infraction, so unless he suspects a crime you should usually not be exiting the vehicle or experiencing an illegal search.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How many stories did we see posted here about people being put over the hood of their car, officers' guns drawn, by FWPD officers back a few years ago just because they were OCing. Apparently someone educated them on the law and now we never read of that occurring. I am like Kirk, I do not want someone pointing a gun at me, I don't care who they are.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom