Interacting with police when you're armed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    i dont see a reason NOT to inform the officer. of course they will take the weapon and make it safe. wouldn't you? i have never had a bad experience with a traffic stop - quite the opposite. i have been given more leeway than i should have. numerous times.

the officer pulling you over doesnt know you. you could be a normal sane guy. or you could be waiting for him to turn around so you can double tap him with 45ACP. being upfront about carrying is a surefire way to let the officer know that you arent hiding anything from him. what if he goes back to the cruiser, finds out that you have a license to carry? that may make him very nervous. why would a law abiding citizen withhold information like that? what is he hiding? the last thing i want is an officer (who is obviously armed) to be nervous.

at the very least, it shows respect for him, his position, and his well-being. that goes a long way with LEO's.

also there are some states that you are REQUIRED to inform the officer.

And he could be another Officer Harless, we don't know either. If you don't know who Harless is just Google him, lots of info

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    If I were carrying a firearm, and I was inolved in a traffic stop, I would only inform if I was asked to do something such as step out of the vehicle, or the officer asked if I was carrying. Otherwise...I would not inform.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    If I were carrying a firearm, and I was inolved in a traffic stop, I would only inform if I was asked to do something such as step out of the vehicle, or the officer asked if I was carrying. Otherwise...I would not inform.

This, along with simple politeness would be my response as well. If I had to get out, I would let him know. If he harassed me I would still be polite to them and later file a complaint against him and go into the station armed-if allowed, but be polite.

I am in a "professional" field and have been slightly harassed a couple times in Indianapolis while driving and NOT been carrying. Both instances were serious anger/ego issues from the cops-I was not violating the law in any way.

I will be lawful, polite, helpful and the first to defend one if I ever came upon one in a bad situation (like seeing a trooper getting his/her ass kicked on a stop) But I will not take **** or be harassed by one.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    i dont see a reason NOT to inform the officer. of course they will take the weapon and make it safe. wouldn't you? i have never had a bad experience with a traffic stop - quite the opposite. i have been given more leeway than i should have. numerous times.

the officer pulling you over doesnt know you. you could be a normal sane guy. or you could be waiting for him to turn around so you can double tap him with 45ACP. being upfront about carrying is a surefire way to let the officer know that you arent hiding anything from him. what if he goes back to the cruiser, finds out that you have a license to carry? that may make him very nervous. why would a law abiding citizen withhold information like that? what is he hiding? the last thing i want is an officer (who is obviously armed) to be nervous.

at the very least, it shows respect for him, his position, and his well-being. that goes a long way with LEO's.

also there are some states that you are REQUIRED to inform the officer.
    I smell troll stink!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I try not yo have a reason to be stopped. I have had a few face to face encounters while carrying semi-concealed. Only one to ever notice and say anything was a customer of mine (off duty Greenwood PD). I was working on his High Performance truck. An awesome firearms conversation ensued as well as several others over the course of time My shop was open.

That said, I am a firm "Didn't ask, don't tell" believer. I will comply with requests but mutual respect goes a long way with me.

Top Bottom