• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Thankyou. I will look into those options and the info sources. That's the exact kind of info I was looking for. Now to study and learn.

edit: just ordered a BaoFeng UV-5R. It should be here monday.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Spring for the Yaesu. They are worth it. Baofengs are sketch that can actually cause issues. One guy demonstrated he could light up a 70cm repeater on the east side of Indy by keying his mike on a frequency on the 2m band. The transmitters can have spurious emissions because they are poorly designed. If all you can afford is a BF, so be it. But if you can spend just a little more, do it.

And I respectfully disagree with the outdated non nonsense guide. Its important to be studying for the current test. They recently changed the test pool questions so you will want to study for the correct test. Could you probably pass by using the old study guides? probably. But you are more likely to succeed by reading the right study guide.

This is what I used. Its good.

https://www.amazon.com/Track-Techni...ords=ham+radio&qid=1586537512&s=books&sr=1-20

And not only do you want the cable, make sure its an official cable. (typically about $20) The cheap knockoff cables dont work well.

Whatever you get, make sure its on the list for CHIRP. That is the best software for programming. (free)
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So let's say the world doesn't come to an end and things get back on track.

Any interest in finding a space and time to actually meet up and create a new legit Indy area ham club?

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    So let's say the world doesn't come to an end and things get back on track.

Any interest in finding a space and time to actually meet up and create a new legit Indy area ham club?

I'd be up for that. Even though there are a few regular local repeater nets, I'd be up for an informal Ingo net, repeater or simplex, if the logistics could be worked out.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'd be up for that. Even though there are a few regular local repeater nets, I'd be up for an informal Ingo net, repeater or simplex, if the logistics could be worked out.

Where as an on air net would be cool. I was thinking more in line with physical meet ups and perhaps even doing testing and such.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I would definitely be up for that. The more I research the more interested i am. Can't wait for my radio to come in next week. Not licensed yet but am studying and learning to do that as soon as I can.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I would definitely be up for that. The more I research the more interested i am. Can't wait for my radio to come in next week. Not licensed yet but am studying and learning to do that as soon as I can.

Which radio did you order?

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Just a baofang to learn some basics and listen on. Getting a yeasu ftm 7250dr once I get my license. My biggest challenge will be that I'm in an apartment so the antenna cant be permanent.
    At work I'm less than half a mile from a repeater that is at 267 and 40 in Plainfield, atleast according to the interwebz. Hoping I can atleast pick that up sometimes at night.

Last edited:

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    Just a baofang to learn some basics and listen on. Getting a yeasu ftm 7250dr once I get my license. My biggest challenge will be that I'm in an apartment so the antenna cant be permanent.
    At work I'm less than half a mile from a repeater that is at 267 and 40 in Plainfield, atleast according to the interwebz. Hoping I can atleast pick that up sometimes at night.

You will be able to receive a lot of repeaters on your ht transmitting may be a different story. Download repeater book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Will do. I figured ht would be the best place to start learning before I invest too much money. I have to balance it with the gun budget so I don't want to go overboard to early.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Radio should up early. Got it to pick up NOAA and tuned into the repeater in Greenwood but no luck there. I'll take it with me tomorrow and drive that way. Mostly just been playing with the menu and getting familiar with it

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Try 146.7

Radio should up early. Got it to pick up NOAA and tuned into the repeater in Greenwood but no luck there. I'll take it with me tomorrow and drive that way. Mostly just been playing with the menu and getting familiar with it

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    oh and make sure the baofeng offset for transmit is correct. Sometimes they show up with the wrong offset for the us.

Top Bottom