• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Not transmitting yet as I don't have my license. I did just briefly pick something up on 146.7 but couldn't understand it and when I adjusted the squelch from 2 to 3 it disappeared. More successful than I planned on being tonight. The weather and being in an apartment complex our both probably working against me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not transmitting yet as I don't have my license. I did just briefly pick something up on 146.7 but couldn't understand it and when I adjusted the squelch from 2 to 3 it disappeared. More successful than I planned on being tonight. The weather and being in an apartment complex our both probably working against me.

There are decent clamp on antennas you can put up when you want to use the radio. (balcony rail, etc ) Just make sure if you get something like a magnetic base for a car, you add a ground plane.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Picking up a net on 147.32 really well right now. Even inside. Very excited and happy I have stepped into the radio world.

Study for a month and take your exam. Use the study resources in this thread. Its easier than you think. Once you are regularly scoring >90% on practice exams you are ready.

And the FCC just authorized remotely proctored online exams. Thats a huge step. You used to have to go and be proctored by 3 or more guys in a classroom. At least temporarily that is no longer the case.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Study for a month and take your exam. Use the study resources in this thread. Its easier than you think. Once you are regularly scoring >90% on practice exams you are ready.

And the FCC just authorized remotely proctored online exams. Thats a huge step. You used to have to go and be proctored by 3 or more guys in a classroom. At least temporarily that is no longer the case.

Thankyou I didn't know that. Alot to learn, already have a few apps for studying on my phone and a few YouTube channels I'm subscribed to

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Baking sheet will work. I bought a couple pieces of sheet metal to use as mine.

Once you start hitting consistently in the 90s on the practice tests. Go ahead and take a crack at the general test. I wish I would have taken then together bc they are pretty similar.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you don't plan to upgrade radios in the next year or two, I would get a new rubber ducky antenna for your Baofeng. I have heard that is decent bang for the buck. I never have myself even though I have about 5 of those radios. Keep them in vehicles and a couple at the house, but I usually use them for LOS transmission, like walkie talkies. I have yaesus and icoms I use the most for repeaters.

That said with stock antennas I have picked up and hit 146.7 from around Sheridan.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Any additional information on this? I looked but couldn't find anything yet. Might be time for an upgrade while waiting to go back to work.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For a new antenna for the baofeng I've been thinking about getting an abbree antenna bc they are kinda cool

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For a new antenna for the baofeng I've been thinking about getting an abbree antenna bc they are kinda cool

Those are slick! And youtuber Hoshnasi tested them and they work awesome.
    On a related note, I found these are a GREAT default replacement.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y2SPH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And dont forget this gem for better performance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1_BrFOHY6U

One other thing. Any SERIOUS radios you want to purchase, skip Amazon and go to www.Dxengineering.com. Cheaper, and FAST delivery. 1-2 day ground to Indianapolis from Ohio, and free shipping on orders over $100. There are TONS of sellers on Amazon and Ebay that will take you for an extra $100+ above DX's delivered price. They also have a loyalty program. They offer money off future orders within like 6 months. I bought my HF rig and was able to use my loyalty bucks from that order to save $10 on an accessory a month later. And they went above and beyond. I forgot to add the certificate number to the order. I emailed them the number and explained my goof and they updated the order for me.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Randl.com is also a good shop. Hamradio.com and universalradio.com have also served me well

And hamcity.com

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    With my ht, I've had pretty good success using a signal stick, as well as a j-pole I bought from N9TAX. I've even used the j-pole indoors, hanging it from a doorway near a window. I realize these aren't the best methods, but they've worked pretty well in a limited-use application.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Ndavid45

There is also an antenna you can get called DBJ1 or BBJ2 (different models) made by a professor out in CA. It’s about $38. It is a portable antenna that connects via a lightweight cable to your Baofeng. They work very well. Generally made for on the go usage but it would likely do well hanging it from your upstairs neighbor’s balcony. It’s not as convenient as a stubby directly connected to your ht leaving you free to move about but they do much better than the stubby ones.
    If you really prefer an antenna affixed to your ht, I have had great luck with the Signal Sticks.

Matt

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Ndavid45

There is also an antenna you can get called DBJ1 or BBJ2 (different models) made by a professor out in CA. It’s about $38. It is a portable antenna that connects via a lightweight cable to your Baofeng. They work very well. Generally made for on the go usage but it would likely do well hanging it from your upstairs neighbor’s balcony. It’s not as convenient as a stubby directly connected to your ht leaving you free to move about but they do much better than the stubby ones.
    If you really prefer an antenna affixed to your ht, I have had great luck with the Signal Sticks.

Matt

That would be Ed Fong. I've had 3 of his antennas and all have been excellent.

First one was the dual band pvc antenna mounted 50' up at the ex-wifes farm. This was 2 miles from Ohio and 20-25 miles north of Richmond. Using a Yaesu 8800 I could easily talk to Kokomo, Ft. Wayne, Indy, sometimes to Frankfort.

Next one was the tri-band version of the same antenna. Works just as well. The last one is the roll up J-pole for the HT's. I got a couple extension cables for it at the same time. It works great as well. Pretty sure you'll be happy with anything you get from him.

https://edsantennas.weebly.com/

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

And yet I can't find anyone locally doing online exams. I had to sign-up on a waiting list with a group out of Los Angles. We'll see if I get a test spot.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    See this is why we need a real club. I'm certified to give tests for would be techs and generals. If we have a couple other VE's we could do a drive through session.

Top Bottom