• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I’ve got the same book. I get to those sections that I can’t quite fathom and it puts me to sleep and I forget everything I read. There are a few concepts that I haven’t been able to wrap my head around. Without understanding them, I can’t seem to get the answers given to stick.

Matt

Go to hamstudy.org and run the flash cards over and over until you get them all right...then take practice exams until you consistently hit 85% or higher., Extra is 50 questions...but it's very doable.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don’t memorize well. I have to know the material.

If you can't memorize, then how do you learn?

Run the flash cards...each one shows the right answer and WHY it's the right answer. Make notes, study your notes, then when you can get through the flash cards start taking practice tests. You'll eventually learn the answers to the questions by sheer repetition. Good luck!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    With time to kill I have been googling around to get more information on the possibility of online FCC exams happening in the Indy area. As of right now, I have been unable to locate any VE team that is planning to do this in the area. The W5YI VEC has been successful and has run one online exam with the FCC blessings to date. They did not have to have a test proctor sit with the examinee. I do not know the details other than that. The Anchorage VEC in Alaska has been doing remote testing for several years but they have a Volunteer Examiner present with the examinee when the test is given....so that's not really considered an unattended online exam session.

We have 14 VEC groups in the United States, the ones most prevalent in the area are ARRL, Laurel, and maybe WCARS....that I know of. Correct me if I am wrong. Laurel ARC VEC has stated in writing that they will not be doing any unattended remote or online exams. ARRL is looking in to the process, W5YI is looking in to the process a little closer, and not sure what any of the other VECs are going to do.

Once this lock down is over I would imagine we'll be seeing a LOT of VE sessions being advertised. If your VE team is planning on testing, PLEASE go to indyhams.org and tell them so they can put it on the website. Also if you are a ARRL VE Team or not, you can put your VE Testing Schedule on the ARRL Website as well.

Indy is fortunate to have so many VE teams, we've gotten used to the idea of several testing options per month. Some places are lucky to get a test session per quarter.

How to become a VE? Contact one the VECs you are interested in and follow their instructions. The requirements vary from VEC to VEC. The ARRL requires a written open book exam. If you are an Extra class you can VE for Extra, General and Technician. If you are Advanced Class you can VE for General and Technician. If you are a General Class you can only VE for the technician exam. Technician and Novice class operators cannot be a Volunteer Examiner.

Good luck es 73

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Run the flash cards...each one shows the right answer and WHY it's the right answer. Make notes, study your notes, then when you can get through the flash cards start taking practice tests. You'll eventually learn the answers to the questions by sheer repetition. Good luck!

I'm the same way. Raw memorization, forget it. But if I know the underlying material and comprehend it, I can remmber an answer.

Anyone in the market for a Yaesu FTdx1200? Mine has been sitting in the box for a couple months. I had it up for 6 months and discovered HF just wasnt my thing. Probably need to get it to someone who will put it to good use. I even upgraded it with the FFT-1 card. Supposedly it can decode CW, but its hard to get it tuned to do it reliably. But it does really improve the waterfall graphs over the stock radio.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm the same way. Raw memorization, forget it. But if I know the underlying material and comprehend it, I can remmber an answer.

Anyone in the market for a Yaesu FTdx1200? Mine has been sitting in the box for a couple months. I had it up for 6 months and discovered HF just wasnt my thing. Probably need to get it to someone who will put it to good use. I even upgraded it with the FFT-1 card. Supposedly it can decode CW, but its hard to get it tuned to do it reliably. But it does really improve the waterfall graphs over the stock radio.

Give ya $100 for it

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Give ya $100 for it 

I was really hoping to get at least $110.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN

If the Covid dont cancel it out, there is always the Indy hamfest in July. Take it there and double your table as a gathering spot for ingunowners. That oughta drive them crazy since they are so anti 2nd amendment.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I took my tech online and missed passing by 2 questions. I have studied and was getting 74-90 percent on 95% of the tests I was taking. There were several questions on the test I took that I hadn't even seen in the tests and studying materials I was using. Lucky for me the testing fee was only $5.

They did it all on Zoom, I had to have my phone on zoom looking at me and my computer while i was taking the test. I also had to pan around the room and show them no one was in there with me. It was a little frustrating as there was some setup stuff I didn't see (like not being able to use an ipad) anyway. I however am studying some materials they suggested instead of what I had been using. Studying a bunch more and I'm gonna try to get in another session toward the end of April beginning of May.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in trying it out.... Tech test

This is the text you are looking for... GLAARG VEC Remote Session - REQUIRES REGISTRATION IN ADVANCE - SEE NOTES!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I took my tech online and missed passing by 2 questions. I have studied and was getting 74-90 percent on 95% of the tests I was taking. There were several questions on the test I took that I hadn't even seen in the tests and studying materials I was using. Lucky for me the testing fee was only $5.

They did it all on Zoom, I had to have my phone on zoom looking at me and my computer while i was taking the test. I also had to pan around the room and show them no one was in there with me. It was a little frustrating as there was some setup stuff I didn't see (like not being able to use an ipad) anyway. I however am studying some materials they suggested instead of what I had been using. Studying a bunch more and I'm gonna try to get in another session toward the end of April beginning of May.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in trying it out.... Tech test

This is the text you are looking for... GLAARG VEC Remote Session - REQUIRES REGISTRATION IN ADVANCE - SEE NOTES!!

I hear ya. It took 2 sessions for me to pass my General. The first session, all 3 tests seemed to have every single question regarding vacuum tubes. I dont recall ANY questions on vacs during my practice tests.

Second session I passed it. Ugh. It happens.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The “funny” thing is the guy made a comment that “if I wasn’t 100% confident I was gonna pass it I shouldn’t take it because it was taking a seat from someone else”. I was 1 of 6 guys in the “first class”. I don’t really feel like people are beating down the door to become HAM techs. No offense to anyone but even the study stuff says only 1% have their license. 1% of 373(‘ish)million people.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Cool beans!! I'm glad they were able to do that remote like that. I bet they are UBER busy. Better luck on the next one!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The “funny” thing is the guy made a comment that “if I wasn’t 100% confident I was gonna pass it I shouldn’t take it because it was taking a seat from someone else”. I was 1 of 6 guys in the “first class”. I don’t really feel like people are beating down the door to become HAM techs. No offense to anyone but even the study stuff says only 1% have their license. 1% of 373(‘ish)million people.

Currently there are about 760,000 licensed radio amateurs in the US....I'd guess 20% are active.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Currently there are about 760,000 licensed radio amateurs in the US....I'd guess 20% are active.

I got my first ticket in January 1995. The internet and cell phones were not so much a factor in communications then. I'll admit that I rarely communicate on the air now. I do keep my HT charged ready to go in case of bad weather.

I would be interested in participating if we could establish an INGO ham radio club.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I got my first ticket in January 1995. The internet and cell phones were not so much a factor in communications then. I'll admit that I rarely communicate on the air now. I do keep my HT charged ready to go in case of bad weather.

I would be interested in participating if we could establish an INGO ham radio club.

The hobby has a LOT of competition now that it didn't have back then. I remember using the phone patches on the local repeaters back in the day...one night a guy called to check in with his wife and man she let him have it for being late...laughed so hard I almost drove off the road.

I'd be interested in a INGO ham radio club too...might make more sense to make it a virtual club...put up a website, and have meetings once a month via Zoom. Lot's of virtual clubs out there now. That way ops from all over the state could join in and participate.

Something to kick around. I know nothing about setting up a web site.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The hobby has a LOT of competition now that it didn't have back then. I remember using the phone patches on the local repeaters back in the day...one night a guy called to check in with his wife and man she let him have it for being late...laughed so hard I almost drove off the road.

I'd be interested in a INGO ham radio club too...might make more sense to make it a virtual club...put up a website, and have meetings once a month via Zoom. Lot's of virtual clubs out there now. That way ops from all over the state could join in and participate.

Something to kick around. I know nothing about setting up a web site.

Neither do most hams. Have you SEEN the websites of some of these clubs/repeater groups? Geez. Straight outta 1990.

Top Bottom