• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I went to check out Crossfit Fishers tonight and I really liked it. The trainer / coach / owner was very friendly and relaxed. Nice facility. Workout kicked my butt. Problem is the price, but with the extra attention you get from coaches during classes, I think it'd be worth it. I've done the regular gym thing and I just sorta flounder around and don't really make any gains before I get bored. I think the structure of Crossfit will help me out a lot.

I checked out the Indy downtown Crossfit and the only thing that turned me off was the price. You can do a lot yourself for that much.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I checked out the Indy downtown Crossfit and the only thing that turned me off was the price. You can do a lot yourself for that much.

The price is hard to swallow. The YMCA charges $50/month and 3 times a week will cost me $120/mo. But, you're basically on your own at the YMCA. No one to tell you if the form is right, no one designing workouts. The workout we did tonight can be done on your own, and many of the standard Crossfit workouts can be done at a regular gym.

I can do the cardio stuff on my own, but I haven't a clue when it comes to strength training. I can run for 13.1 miles, but I couldn't stop in the middle and do 30 push-ups! I'm doing a GoRuck event in April and I know I need to build some strength / functional fitness. For me, the structure and information gained from Crossfit may well help me finish that event. I feel like I'd be paying more for that personal attention & education that I'd be getting in a Crossfit program.

It's about goal setting and finding a way to meet those goals that works for you.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I started counting my calories(Lose It App) and exercising 5-6 days a week on the 5th and I feel better already. I don't make myself go to the gym, however i make sure that I'd somewhat winded……;) LOL, what you guys are thinking is icing on the cake, not what i mean. Things that count for me are shoveling snow, push ups durning the the football game, running, lifting, swimming (when I'm traveling for work), Insanity, etc.

The other thing that I did was to try new foods and cut out the calorie wasters….those that weren't worth it.

I CUT OUT
    Mex has a TON of calories
    No Donuts :(
    No Soda
    Cut back drink to 1 day per week unless a special occasion
    No deep fried food(for the most part)

I MAKE SURE THAT I
    Count My Calories
    Drink a TON of water
    eat salads once a day
    Eat more TURKEY (Butterball has Great Recipes on their sight and I can have more turkey then Beef or Pork)
    Count my Calories
    etc

Anyway, after all of that crazy crap I have lost 11/lbs. as of today, 12days into it.:rockwoot:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We just started P90X3, after having done the original, the Plus version, Rushfit, Supreme 90, and Turbofire. So far it is my favorite workout DVD series ever, with Rushfit a close second. They fixed a lot of the problems with the workouts of earlier versions and made something that works very well with our schedule and fitness level. These are git-er-done workouts, I highly recommend them to the home fitness crowd.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My other hobby is running.. can you give me a few links of guys having heart attacks during marathons ;)

Any physical challenge has its risks...

Nope, that never happens :shady:

your heart can go boom doing anything, even crossfiit. We weren't meant to do some things repeatedly though. Doing them exposes you to more risk than you need. Like marathons, ultra marathons, etc... Heck, more people die having sex than get seriously injured with crossfiit I'm sure.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I did some push ups, 30 mins on treadmill, and a hasfit 6-minute oblique ab workout. The abs and push-ups were while watching 3 kids. You can sneak exercise in if you want to. No one is too busy to do a six minute an video.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you want to run at some time, you should do the couch to 5K. A good way to do that would be to do it with others. A group close to your area is best if you want them to show up. My daughter ran one with the Starbucks employees she worked with. I came along. You should not push it with your knees but running does not have to start out hard and fast. Walking is just as good but takes longer, that is, a 1 mile run burns approximately the same amount of calories as a 1 mile walk.

You might try Play it again Sports. They often have used equipment. I bought a lower end treadmill at the Sears Outlet store after looking at Play it again Sports and in Craigslist. I use it for a treadmill desk and only run it at 1mph while working. Just google for reviews of what you are thinking about buying and you will find out if it is good or not.

I had a good $2,000 treadmill for running but lost it in a divorce. :(

Well I'm not planning on running at all at least at first.

I took your suggestion and went to Play-It-Again. I talked to the guy there and looked at some of the stuff. I'm still not sure if I want a treadmill or exercise bike. I'm leaning towards the bike at this point. My sister said she would split the cost of whatever I got as long as I let her use it too. So that gives me more motivation.

I'm thinking I should probably talk to the people that I've went to for my knee problems before and ask them what they think would be easiest on my knees but still benefit them as well. I don't want to mess my knees up anymore then they already are messed up.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Turns out it wasn't from the lift but when he dropped the bar, it bounced off another piece of equipment and hit him in the back.

Just the same, it is a good idea to hire a trainer for weight lifting. There are also great videos online showing how they should be done. Another good thing is to make sure you can see yourself to see what you are doing making sure your form is good.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I took your suggestion and went to Play-It-Again. I talked to the guy there and looked at some of the stuff. I'm still not sure if I want a treadmill or exercise bike. I'm leaning towards the bike at this point. My sister said she would split the cost of whatever I got as long as I let her use it too. So that gives me more motivation.

I'm thinking I should probably talk to the people that I've went to for my knee problems before and ask them what they think would be easiest on my knees but still benefit them as well. I don't want to mess my knees up anymore then they already are messed up.

That is a good idea. From what I understand, for bikes and knee problems, higher rev and low low resistance but I would ask your docs first.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nope, that never happens :shady:

your heart can go boom doing anything, even crossfiit. We weren't meant to do some things repeatedly though. Doing them exposes you to more risk than you need. Like marathons, ultra marathons, etc... Heck, more people die having sex than get seriously injured with crossfiit I'm sure.

That's what I have been planning on.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

You want something low impact. I have torn cartridge from when in the service. I'm waiting till I become a journeyman to get it fixed through the VA, but in the mean time using an elliptical and treadmill. I need to do some form of cardio besides walking at work on ballast. I've started to do a light jog for 15 min and finish up with 15 min on the elliptical. I gained 54 lbs in 2 yrs from not running anymore because of the pain, but I also didn't know how bad my knee really was till I filed the VA claim. In my boat its I'd rather be in pain then overweight.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You want something low impact. I have torn cartridge from when in the service. I'm waiting till I become a journeyman to get it fixed through the VA, but in the mean time using an elliptical and treadmill. I need to do some form of cardio besides walking at work on ballast. I've started to do a light jog for 15 min and finish up with 15 min on the elliptical. I gained 54 lbs in 2 yrs from not running anymore because of the pain, but I also didn't know how bad my knee really was till I filed the VA claim. In my boat its I'd rather be in pain then overweight.

Extra weight is not going to help the situation either for weakened or damaged joints. Visualizing 54 lbs would be to sling 6 and 1/2 gallon jugs of water over your shoulders to carry around.

I know that my gain has impacted some of what I do like running or doing pullups. Like I say to my daughter who could do 20 pullups, it's easy when you don't weigh nothin.

Knees are what keep most people from doing exercises and if you are like me when I injure something and have to lay off, it is depressing. I had to lay off doing squats because of one rep with bad form and could not do them for a year. I had to lay off biking for a year when one of my knees got irritated from pushing it too hard. After that, if you are not motivated it is hard to get back into it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I think I did more damage during my 5 yrs in the service when they couldn't tell it was a torn knee instead of a weak tendon. I would say 15 of those lbs came in the last month from quitting smoking. I'm getting back into it its going slow, but hopefully the VA won't string me along and fix the knee when I become a journeyman this May. It took 18 months to hear back on my claim from the VA.

I got out in 09 went to school lifted and did cardio got down to 180 and did a yr in the reserves in 2011. I graduated and 2 weeks later was working for Norfolk Southern. For anyone who has walked alongside the tracks or in a railyard walking on the ballast is hard. In 2012 I had had enough of the knee pain and filed my disability claim with the VA because I knew it couldn't be a weak tendon that need stretches. The civilian doctor I went to did an MRI and said the tear in my knee was the about a 1/4 in. Yet in the service you believed the Corpsman because they were doctors and took care of you. 18 months later and after some running around with VA paperwork. They came back and said 10%.
    I use to wear flaks that weighed 60 lbs + with the sapis, side sapis, and full combat load for 14 months. I'm sure that wasn't good on my spine as I'm sure I have shrunk an in, but hey I served my country loved every minute of it, got my schooling paid for, and my home for much cheaper than thought possible.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I did a P90X workout yesterday. 225 push-ups and around 170ish back exercises. Monday is when I push myself to do the entire workout, which will close to 260 push-ups, 190ish back exercises, and start on abs with their ab workout DVD. Tomorrow is 20-30 mins. on the elliptical. Saturday is a rest day, so nothing today.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just did 30 mins on the treadmill. Earlier in the week was just walking. Today I added some jogging. 34 mins including cool down was 2.54 miles. Now it's time for some abs and push-ups if the kids will let me

Top Bottom