Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Could you please add your definition here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mook

"Mook" is a sloppy romanization of "muk yan jong" (wooden man post in Cantonese). It is the training aid most famous from Wing Chun, but other styles of CMA use wooden training dummies. In the US it is usually wall mounted in a frame (brought over from Hong Kong as space is at a premium in HK), but you can embed it into the earth or concrete as well.

My mook was made by an older Wing Chun brother who is also a master carpenter/furniture maker. But yesterday I went to a buddy's house to use his. Good to get different feels on different mooks. It is a template but as he is substantially taller than I am, the dimensions are different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_ren_zhuang

This what I mean when I reference "mook", just think wooden dummy.

65a17e6303b1ddc5_5579-w500-h400-b0-p0-q87--asian-home-gym-equipment.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks, Foszoe. I was just going to ask Kirk what he means by “mook”, too. Because if it’s my definition, I’d be surprised if Kirk would “do mooks”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I should just say "wooden man". It is a template so movements, footwork, compression, inter alia can be trained.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Today was long
    3 rounds:
    400m run
    21 box step up and over with 45# KB
    15 20# med ball sit-ups
    12 45# hang power snatches with KB
    9 push ups

took 28:37. Ugh

At least your total volume is not terrible. I just ended my 2+ years of CrossFit. The total volume was just too much for me. A lot of the workouts have you doing 150-200+ reps. It is just too much hinging for me and I couldn't recover from workout to workout.

I'm going to try the garage gym route. I have not been successful in the past but at this stage in my life I know that strength training is not an option. I must do it if I want any kind of life as my grandkids grow up.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah it gets crazy sometimes. I skip the workouts with 60 deadlifts and stupid stuff like that

today was 5 rounds
    1 min calorie row
    1 min burpees
    1 min single/double unders
    1 min rest

No strength, all cardio. That is bad for me :):

At least your total volume is not terrible. I just ended my 2+ years of CrossFit. The total volume was just too much for me. A lot of the workouts have you doing 150-200+ reps. It is just too much hinging for me and I couldn't recover from workout to workout.

I'm going to try the garage gym route. I have not been successful in the past but at this stage in my life I know that strength training is not an option. I must do it if I want any kind of life as my grandkids grow up.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah it gets crazy sometimes. I skip the workouts with 60 deadlifts and stupid stuff like that

today was 5 rounds
    1 min calorie row
    1 min burpees
    1 min single/double unders
    1 min rest

No strength, all cardio. That is bad for me :):

Yeah it was the workout that had 75 deadlifts and another one that had 150 shoulder to overheads and a third that had over 200 push-ups that was my tipping point for me to move on to something else.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tuesday: yoga

Wednesday: martial arts, hit it hard. It felt good.

Thursday: 4 mile run. LSD run, Long Slow Distance. I have a solid grasp of slow.

Friday: 4 exercises: weights, push ups, flutter kicks, mook

Saturday: hike it in and back out to and from the Wing Chun kwoon downtown Lafayette this AM.

Sunday: Wing Chun work out in AM, I run again in PM after a few hours in the office chair.

I did something stupid in tying my left boot. Rubbed my left foot wrong. And my arms are all cut up from circle sparring.

So, I am solidly middle aged, half-crippled from self-inflicted injuries and I am frickin' hungry (I cannot drop the lbs I need without getting off food). Drink water and have a Motrin, right?:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wore different shoes during my early morning Wing Chun work out. Nike indoor soccer shoes. Solved the problem.

I hope this solves problem for my foot to heal. How frickin' appropriate to get hurt right now. Brilliant, Kirk.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today’s workout has 120 cals on the assualt
    bike. I think i’m Going to die

edit: 60 bike and 60 rower. That’s better

30-20-10
    53# American kettle bell swing
    calories assault bike

10-20-30
    135# deadlift
    calorie Row

26:23

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    At 4 miles, you can't call it LSD.....You may call it SD :abused:

Thursday: 4 mile run. LSD run, Long Slow Distance. I have a solid grasp of slow.

Finally getting back into the body weight lifting stuff (pull ups, push ups, dips, etc...) after my daily run. I actually got stronger just doing a lot of outdoor activities while I didn't work out the last month. Starting to think there's something behind varied exercises and not getting into a daily rut.
    2 sets:
    10 pull ups (SLOW.....not those crossfit "pull ups")
    25 dips
    25 push ups
    No breaks between exercises or sets. That gets the heart rate up pretty good. Just immediately transition between activities.

Top Bottom