• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I've seen where some places forbid steel core or jacketed (even bi-metal, cause, you know, it sticks to a magnet), but, other than the laziness that was brought up, I don't see why steel or aluminum cased should matter. Heck, FM has steel-cased, coated in brass, ammo that has copper jacketed lead bullets, so that idea of all of it being steel core is definitely out the window (including all of the 7.62x39 I shoot, which has the bi-metal jacket, but a lead core).

The steel core stuff can potentially do some damage to a backdrop that isn't made for it. Not sure what a bi-metal jacket would do to it, though.

Maybe you should ask them. They must have a good reason.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    308 jerk, you should be asking why Customer Service do not give the service they are getting paid for.
    As so many here state the same concern.
    Just like you are doing they attack the customer.
    We are done here. You are painfully oblivious to your narcissistic ways and have resorted to name calling. In the course of 2 weeks you have complained numerous times about customer service workers and blatantly insulted an INGO advertiser for inviting us to join them for food and fellowship. I'm afraid bitterness and anger has engulfed you to the point of no return. Best wishes in your future encounters with society.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK folks. This is the one and only in thread warning I will post.
    Calling names will not be tolerated.
    Keep it civil or take a break.

Period.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok back on track here. In the OP, what I was trying to get to is...is it common practice at indoor ranges to not allow steel or aluminum cased ammo. I have only been to one indoor range, but now that there are so many in/around Indy I may explore a few places. I would hate to show up and be stuck buying ammo or leaving all while my range bag is full of ammo.
    Does aluminum or steel cased ammo cause any damage or safety risks that brass case ammo doesn't? I called what used to be pop guns and asked why the rule...The guy on the phone claimed that it would damage my guns and tiny particles of case break off the case and become projectiles. Never heard of this. Thoughts? Opinions?

Pewpewlife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Wherever I am now
    I have heard places say they don't want bi-metal or steel case ammo because it damages equipment, one guy at midwest in Elkhart said because they had a round go through the track (honestly I can see a plated lead round doing the same). But I heard a gentleman also say because bi-metal and steel core ammo sparks and with all the unburnt powder on the floor it could be a fire hazard. Never heard of no aluminum though. Take it anyway you want, just passing someone else's opinions on at this point. I feel we'll never truly know.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I've always heard the real reason is most indoor ranges have deals with companies who come in and pick up the brass to reload so they can re-sell it and the reload companies only reload brass.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I asked Terry, the manager at Indy Gun Bunker, formerly Pop Guns in the distant past, about this rule yesterday. He said that they sell the range sweepings as scrap and that a mixture of brass and other metals is worth less than all brass. He added that they use the proceeds to hold down the price/cost of range usage. Please pardon the posting of factual information on the original subject of this thread but I just couldn't control myself.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If not wanting to separate the casings is being "lazy". Not wanting to use brass is being a tightwad.

How dare someone not want to separate your discards for you.

Top Bottom