• ...and so much more!
  • Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    One of my friends who is unfortunate enough to live within Marion county showed me a license plate reading camera that popped up in his yard yesterday without any kind of warning or notice. It looks like is a solar powered camera made by "Flock Security." In theory this helps find stolen cars and criminals on the loose, or potentially your grandmother who hasn't found her way home, but this does feel like a step towards some kind of orwellian future. You guys can let me know, maybe there's some tin foil under my hat, but it seems like these could be used for a lot more than reading license plates, especially when there is a large network of them all across the county.

Thoughts? Helpful tool for law enforcement or invasion of privacy?
    If it is his yard, did he give permission for it to be there?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And did you know you can subscribe to the database that tracks stolen and repo plates?

There are tow companies here that pay for access, and drive around the city with the trunk mounted readers on sub compact cars. When it spots a flagged car they send their truck to tow it. I believe even from private lots and driveways.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Figurative “you”. I was answering your question.

Is this thread news to the literal you? I have no idea therefore cannot say about the literal you…

I must've "figuratively" misunderstood you. It appeared to be a personal attack.......in a figurative manner of course.

Carry on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If it is his yard, did he give permission for it to be there?
    If it’s within the RoW they don’t need your permission to put their crap there or take your crap. Learned the hard way not to put yard signs within 10’ of the pavement edge. We have had our food pantry signs at church stolen by DPW multiple times even they are not obstructing views, etc.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    iu

iu

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So how long before Flock monetizes the database ala gmail?

Curious how much something like that sells for. Like the internet, I've always figured everything they can collect on you has some value. Maybe now companies are selling everywhere you go, where you shop, who you visit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Curious how much something like that sells for. Like the internet, I've always figured everything they can collect on you has some value. Maybe now companies are selling everywhere you go, where you shop, who you visit.
    One of the reasons apple started randomizing your mac address. They are constantly pinging searching for nearby wifi. When they do that they automatically expose their unique hardware address. So that made the phone traceable.

Meraki had a cool feature on their dashboards. As a merchant you could track customers anonymously. You wouldnt know who they were specifically, but they knew when "you" would come and go, how long you lingered, and in the case of a large store with lots of APs what departments you went to.

So as a coffee shop you knew some person came in your shop every weekday around 7:45, lingered for 10 minutes and left. Another customer would come in every wednesday, jump on your free wifi and surf for an hour.

It was great. But apparently stuff like that was too pervasive. especially when a chain would aggregate the data and see what locations you went to.

Now that they randomize your hardware address (not really. It just tells the world its a different address) each time they scan, providers no longer are able to track you using that method.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    If it’s within the RoW they don’t need your permission to put their crap there or take your crap. Learned the hard way not to put yard signs within 10’ of the pavement edge. We have had our food pantry signs at church stolen by DPW multiple times even they are not obstructing views, etc.
    I am aware of the difference. I was looking for clarification to see if he does. A lot of people post incomplete information.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I predict lawsuits will eventually limit access to the information they collect. Police may still be able to get alerts on stolen vehicles, warrants, etc. since there is a public safety interest, but I doubt the average patrol officer will be able to use the search function without a warrant. Just a guess as to where this will end up in a couple years.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    popped up in his yard? is it well made?

because I’m too clumsy driving my mower for something like that.. and neighborhood kids are pretty ornery for something like that, too..
    Then they'll arrest you for DUI on your tractor and use the camera for evidence...can't win against the central state

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom