Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Actyally it is not a bow but a pink breast cancer solidarity ribbon tattoo.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Word of caution: the collective "we" should be prepared to have Charlottesville brought up in the context of the study of constitutional carry. We can all agree that no one was actually shot this past weekend during the violence, but there were pictures and reports of "militia" being "better armed" than the police.

That's an optics issue, but an important one.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Word of caution: the collective "we" should be prepared to have Charlottesville brought up in the context of the study of constitutional carry. We can all agree that no one was actually shot this past weekend during the violence, but there were pictures and reports of "militia" being "better armed" than the police.

I would ask anyone that brings it up if they are prepared to pose legislation banning automobiles.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The optics don't help any, that's for sure. I guess I'd have to ask how applicable Charlottesville is to requiring carry licenses here.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The optics don't help any, that's for sure. I guess I'd have to ask how applicable Charlottesville is to requiring carry licenses here.
    VA allows open carry without a license (open to correction on that).

You and I and most of INGO can see the fallacy: just because VA is constitutional open carry, doesn't mean "it can happen here."

I'm just saying that a good, positive, thought-out response will be a good idea.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I was hopeful of attending this hearing; but as of now I am out.
    I do need to make some efforts (ramping up) ... to Share the info and will followup ...

But there is a critical appointment I must be at with my wife that day - at that same time - of the first hearing ...

So I must say Good luck, have at it, and get it done ... I'll watch for AAR's and the video (hopefully there is one) - and perhaps make rounds 2 and/or 3.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was hopeful of attending this hearing; but as of now I am out.
    I do need to make some efforts (ramping up) ... to Share the info and will followup ...

But there is a critical appointment I must be at with my wife that day - at that same time - of the first hearing ...

So I must say Good luck, have at it, and get it done ... I'll watch for AAR's and the video (hopefully there is one) - and perhaps make rounds 2 and/or 3.

Wish you could make it Bill but I definitely understand. I'm keeping a good thought that we'll be well represented in room 431.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I still want to know how the Constitutional Carry deals with the license and prior background check requirement of the Federal Gunfree School Zone Act.

As I read it CC does not satisfy the GFZA and those passing within 1000 ft of a school are still risking felony charges, even if rarely (if ever) enforced.

Even now those carrying unsecured long guns on their person or in vehicles in Indiana (which does not license long guns) are running afoul of the law.

Just takes a future decision by ATF or a Pres./legislature to enforce the GFSZA and CC is a moot point in cities where school zones are nearly unavoidable.

The Federal GFSZA must be repealed or amended if we want to continue calling ourselves "law abiding gun owners" and still enjoy our natural rights.

Also here is an ATF letter regarding reciprocity... NO GO either. (Page 1, paragraph 5)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/BATFLetterONGFSZ2013.pdf

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I still want to know how the Constitutional Carry deals with the license and prior background check requirement of the Federal Gunfree School Zone Act.

As I read it CC does not satisfy the GFZA and those passing within 1000 ft of a school are still risking felony charges, even if rarely (if ever) enforced.

Even now those carrying unsecured long guns on their person or in vehicles in Indiana (which does not license long guns) are running afoul of the law.

Just takes a future decision by ATF or a Pres./legislature to enforce the GFSZA and CC is a moot point in cities where school zones are nearly unavoidable.

The Federal GFSZA must be repealed or amended if we want to continue calling ourselves "law abiding gun owners" and still enjoy our natural rights.

Also here is an ATF letter regarding reciprocity... NO GO either. (Page 1, paragraph 5)

Indiana's law (from what I understand) takes precedent since it was already in-place. For example: securing a lawfully possessed firearm in a vehicle on school property has been legal since 1 July 2014. CC exists in (arguably) 14 states now.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Indiana's law (from what I understand) takes precedent since it was already in-place. For example: securing a lawfully possessed firearm in a vehicle on school property has been legal since 1 July 2014. CC exists in (arguably) 14 states now.

This is a complicated issue involving "pre-emption" - not the state/local pre-emption statute that was passed a few years ago.

Technically, the federal law could still be enforced despite the Indiana law maybe having been in place first.

But, the growing tension between federal drug laws and state-level legalization creates a conceptual analogy that complicates matters even more.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is the year folks. Share the news with everyone you know that Carry's a gun. Tell them to write, make phone calls and email their reps in support. Their should be ZERO reasons this doesn't pass this year. If it doesn't it WILL be bosmas fault. If he is half the leader everyone always claims he is then he can get this done. If not time for new leadership

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    This is the year folks. Share the news with everyone you know that Carry's a gun. Tell them to write, make phone calls and email their reps in support. Their should be ZERO reasons this doesn't pass this year. If it doesn't it WILL be bosmas fault. If he is half the leader everyone always claims he is then he can get this done. If not time for new leadership

Agreed. Zero excuses why this shouldn't pass. If it doesn't, I'm going to seriously consider going back to not voting again. I'm getting tired of voting for people who won't deliver and then take my vote for granted.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Guy mentioned there is talk of moving the 22 August meeting from room 431 to one of the chambers (the BIG room).

Top Bottom